Qantas gets tough on unions

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by Yada Yada, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    Probably nothing new in the above, although it seems that the screws will be turned even harder than they have been before. I wonder how long Geoff Dixon can continue to squeeze his employees like this, especially the FA's, without increasing damage to the company's reputation via poor customer experience. After all, the FA's are the frontline.

2. munitalP

munitalP Suspended

Oct 10, 2006
    4A
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #2 munitalP, Oct 24, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
    GO QANTAS!!! Anyone who gets tough on UNIONS (Useless Nitwits Insisting On Negotiating S%#*) deserves my vote!

Lets face it Australia, we pay FAR TOO MUCH for essential items such as PETROL, ELECTRICITY, GAS, BEER...

The reason we pay too much (add builders, plumbers, sparkies etc to the above list) is we are being collectively screwed as a country. Look at the likes of Sweden, Germany, Austria – people are proud to be employed, they take a sense of ownership in what they do for a job… how would I know, I have been there, I have seen it and guess what… they get paid equal or more than our union brothers get – without the crap that hitches a ride for free….

I take pride in the fact that I employ Australians. I take pride in the fact that none of them are union members. I cringe knowing that I will have to shortly do a job in my home town of Melbourne because of the out of control unions…

Go Qantas, get tough, get rid of the idiots who with their 7 years of schooling believe that they can hold a nation to ransom, (each and every one of the Union activists wouldn’t last 5 min’s working for themselves) and make the profits for the shareholders better, improve the service etc….

Gordon

3. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    This is a strange comment:

Very strange way of phrasing - I guess they mean increase in producitivty through labour cuts and salary reductions - I dont think they meant to cut productivity.
    late 70's/
    Never been a fan of unions - they seem the same here that they were in the early 80s in the UK - where they dismantled industry. Businesses seem to live in fear of the unions in many of the clients I have worked with - rational business decisions can not be taken because the unions will strike and prevent the business from doing business.

There needs to be a happy medium and at the moment it just seems so often that we have the unions being unreasonable and the bosses trying to break them - rather than working together - which is where unions can work - working with management and understanding that if there cant be a shareholder faced outcome - there wont be jobs. The heavy maintenance teams priced themselves out of the market - and many now have no jobs at all - that certainly pays less than some reduciton in benefits doesnt it?

4. bravoecho1

bravoecho1 Member

Sep 10, 2004
    OOL
    I do believe that unions have their own agenda, somewhat removed from that of their members.

I have seen three businesses go the wall over fights with unions. The joke of it is because of their actions, not only did their members not get their pay rise and increase in conditions but they lost their jobs. And the unions response in all three cases - we were doing our job looking after our members. Thank god i'm a free agent!!

5. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    This all goes back to the days of the so called "Two Airline System" when there was plenty of "Meat on the Bone" to divvy up between the companies, managements, employees, TA's etc. all paid for by travellers who had no choice.

(FWIW, I flew on a the cheapest standard MEL-SYD-MEL return far in 1985 to see a Hawks - Swans Match. This was called a "Super-Apex" fare and it cost $208)

6. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    I work in the construction industry so I know what the unions are like. I also know what many of the larger companies are like. Practices on both sides leaves a lot to be desired. :mad:

The old saying "it takes two to tango" is very much true. Unions wouldn't behave like they do without being given good reason by company management. Company management wouldn't behave like it does without being given good reason by the unions. The key factor as always is greed. And it's not good. :(

7. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Unions are a waste of time.

They abandoned my brother when he needed them after being a member for 15 years.

8. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Unions have a useful place in industry and can provide useful assistance in many situations. I have seen 1st hand in the UK the assistance that they can offer to members in various situations.

I do not agree with situations where unionism stops a company being able to sensibly operate and the unions rule the company

Dave

9. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I agree with this whole heartedly. Unions have their place in setting the bottom line and do a good (not great) job in doing so.

Beyond that there are way too many individualized agendas that have little or nothing to do with the membership. Bill Shorten (the future politician) at Beaconsfield is the clasic example.

I've also seen it at my work for many months now where there is an ongoing dispute that affects the production. The dispute is a head butting exercise between two unions :!: