Qantas flights to Tonga

Mattg

Enthusiast
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
It looks like Qantas will be flying from Sydney to Tonga every Thursday for the next 3 months, using A330s.

Flights are QF335 SYD 09:30 - TBU 17:05 and QF336 TBU 18:35 - SYD 21:20.

Tonga's international border is still closed due to COVID-19 and apparently you need to register with the government of Tonga to be able to book a ticket on QF335. So, I wonder what the purpose of this flight is? Perhaps mainly freight?

The linked article says "These flights are operated under Australia’s Pacific Flights Program."

I also note that TBU is not recognised as a destination on the Qantas website so I can't find any way to book a ticket.

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Wonder where Qantas found the spare plane and crews - they are cancelling domestic schedules all over the place through lack of these (or so I read).

An interesting last line in that story:

Meanwhile, Tonga has not announced when its international border will re-open.

justinbrett

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Silver
That's a big plane for a thin route. It's in 737 range.

Also why no flights to APW? Are we less worried about them with the US territory right next door?

dylarr

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Inventory zero'd out on all flights as well... strange with the inaugural supposedly departing in just a few days time.

kevinyhli

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
There had been regular QF charters between TBU and SYD/BNE for the past 18 months at least - all part of a government program.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..