Qantas First Class "Nothing more than a premium business class" | Page 13 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Qantas First Class "Nothing more than a premium business class"

p--and--t

Truly serious. Though I would baulk at a Flambe for the sense of theatre in an aircraft. Seriously, people complain about the dress standards in lounges - closed shoes and all that. F defines a certain experience (which this thread is attempting to distill) and a fine dining restaurant experience is rounded off by dressing properly, so why not bring that into F?.

What about a selection of cake for dessert. Sliced at the trolley. Simple things can be Wow. But Im not Neil. Neil knows best.

Raising the standards - Should First class be Classy?:)

OT - a nice round number of posts @MEL_Traveller 18000:D
Sorry if I'm going to pay umpteen thousand for a seat in an aluminium tube I'll wear whatever I like that makes me feel comfortable (not you) thankyou very much.

Last edited:

MEL_Traveller

AFF Supporter
Truly serious. Though I would baulk at a Flambe for the sense of theatre in an aircraft. Seriously, people complain about the dress standards in lounges - closed shoes and all that. F defines a certain experience (which this thread is attempting to distill) and a fine dining restaurant experience is rounded off by dressing properly, so why not bring that into F?.

What about a selection of cake for dessert. Sliced at the trolley. Simple things can be Wow. But Im not Neil. Neil knows best.

Raising the standards - Should First class be Classy?:)

OT - a nice round number of posts @MEL_Traveller 18000:D
I didn’t even notice (post count). But thanks!

The notion of dressing up for a fine dining experience will likely go the same place as men having to wear suits and hats 24/7.

First class on the plane has pretty much always reflected the passengers it carries. Today that might be comfort wear rather than anything formal.

fifo

I didn’t even notice (post count). But thanks!

The notion of dressing up for a fine dining experience will likely go the same place as men having to wear suits and hats 24/7.

First class on the plane has pretty much always reflected the passengers it carries. Today that might be comfort wear rather than anything formal.
Yeah, you better believe as soon as i'm in that F seat, im putting those pajamas on (should they fit me ok). So what would be the point in setting a dress standard? you going to dictate that I can only wear the pajamas until after the dinner service as well?! :D

Happy Trails

AFF Supporter
... you going to dictate that I can only wear the pajamas until after the dinner service as well?! :D
Yes, and furthermore, if you don't eat all of your overcooked kale or [insert trendy green vegetable here] you won't get get any dessert and it will be served to you again at breakfast.

Quickstatus

AFF Supporter
I’m told the salad comes out of a bag before being served. Not sure if the bag is a design by Dave or Mark(c)

coriander

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
lol. novel. most people do it once. and only once. The buddy seat is small and uncomfortable. The noise of conversation disturbs other passengers. It’s just like sitting across from someone in a crowded little cafe (complete with no legroom).
I disagree.

We did it both times I've been upgraded to F outbound across the Pacific (each sat in the buddy seat once). We don't bother inbound (close to midnight by the time food and wine is served onboard and we've had a good dinner in the TBIT F lounge). To me, being able to enjoy a 5 course meal with curated wines at 35000 feet without work, kids, smartphones or internet disturbing us was a precious few hours and a favourite and lasting memory of those trips.

Most cafes I've been to don't have snoring patrons sounding like beached walruses in the background, so other pax can deal with a couple enjoying good food, wine and conversation.

The FAs also seem to love it when we dine together and the service seems to ramp up a notch and couldn't be better (the name Courtney sticks in my brain as the only FA's name I can remember).

Last edited:

Quickstatus

AFF Supporter
I once ordered the degustation version of the F menu. Instead of serving degustation sizes, they gave me the full size for each of the entrees. Burp!

fifo

I once ordered the degustation version of the F menu. Instead of serving degustation sizes, they gave me the full size for each of the entrees. Burp!
is this an actual thing, or did you just order everything off the menu?! :p - i've never flow qf f, first time is in 6 months!

MEL_Traveller

AFF Supporter
is this an actual thing, or did you just order everything off the menu?! :p - i've never flow qf f, first time is in 6 months!
It's an actual 'thing'. But it isn't a special menu - just supposed to be a sampler of the dishes already available to everyone else in larger size. Only available on some of the longer flights.

fifo

It's an actual 'thing'. But it isn't a special menu - just supposed to be a sampler of the dishes already available to everyone else in larger size. Only available on some of the longer flights.
Great, im on dfw to syd! :)

GoldCanyon340

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
On introduction of the A380 QF had a separate degustation menu for lunch and dinner services. There were smaller dishes but included items not on the main (a la carte) menu. Nowadays the deg menu is an elongated version of the a la carte menu, ie. more courses with smaller serves.

Kangol

AFF Supporter
I could be wrong but I thought the degustation was only available on flights *to* LAX and DFW?

Regards,

BD
F overnight departures ex-USA are serving a "supper menu" and no tasting menu.
I thought QF1/2 still had a tasting menu but since the change to go via SIN, there wasn't one on either of the QF1 sectors and none on the overnight QF2 SIN-SYD.
Not sure if LHR-SIN QF2 offers it (now or before the move to go via DXB).

sydtogla

I'm on QF11 tomorrow morning in a full F cabin. I'm wondering what to expect as far as service goes...

DC3

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I'm on QF11 tomorrow morning in a full F cabin. I'm wondering what to expect as far as service goes...
As posted above, realistic expectations are essential. However, having flown F a few times on QF, I’ve found it quite enjoyable. Certainly a leap-up from J.

sydtogla

As posted above, realistic expectations are essential. However, having flown F a few times on QF, I’ve found it quite enjoyable. Certainly a leap-up from J.
I'm finding at the moment it is a leap up from the current 388 J and so I'm willing to blow the 50k points for an upgrade. That said my inbound next week is LAX-BNE and I find the new J great trans pacific option.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danim