Qantas fare with perks of Jetstar | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Qantas fare with perks of Jetstar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
smh.com.au said:
Qantas fare with perks of Jetstar
Scott Rochfort
August 16, 2006

PASSENGERS booking a full-fare Qantas ticket to Singapore may soon find themselves paying extra for a blanket, meal and movie.

The budget carrier Jetstar has indicated its intention to share passengers with its full-service parent on the route.

Qantas has applied to the International Air Services Commission for the two airlines "to code share freely on each other's services on the route".

Despite Qantas passengers facing the prospect of flying a budget long-haul flight, Jetstar said there was nothing untoward in the proposed deal.

A Jetstar spokesman, Simon Westaway, said: "That in principle occurs now." He said Qantas and Jetstar code shared to destinations such as Cairns and Christchurch.

As for Qantas ticket-holders using an airline which charges extra for blankets and refreshments, Mr Westaway said passengers would be notified at the time of booking if it was a Jetstar flight.

He said the deal would allow "the Qantas group to maximise the flexibility" of the Singapore route. A Qantas spokesman was unable to say whether Qantas passengers flying on a Jetstar flight to Singapore would pay the full-service ticket price.

Full Story...
Welcome to the future. :mad:
 

Alan in CBR

Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2004
Messages
308
As for Qantas ticket-holders using an airline which charges extra for blankets and refreshments ...
It's already possible to have a Qantas ticket on a flight with a Qantas flight number and have to pay for food. Happens with all the codeshares operated by American Airlines.

Still, it's an unfortunate development.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,806
Flights
My Map
I think it would be fair to assume that passengers holding QF tickets operated by JQ would receive food and blankets as part of their QF ticket, just like QF FF rewards on JQ International operated flights receive these benefits.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
NM said:
I think it would be fair to assume that passengers holding QF tickets operated by JQ would receive food and blankets as part of their QF ticket, just like QF FF rewards on JQ International operated flights receive these benefits.
QF codeshare passengers get the entertainment and meal packs included as part of their ticket

Dave
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
I read this as I sat in a J class seat about to fly from Heathrow to Singapore and thought "why on earth would anyone accept this?" Personally I wouldnt accept a drop like that - mind you its not something I would check before I flew either....
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,226
I hope that I notice a JQ operated flight when making a booking on QF website. In theory on the QF website any codeshare flights have a small green square preceding the flight number to indicate that it is a codeshare flight.

As long as mainline QF does not stop flying to/via SIN then it is really not an issue. Do not accept, or even continue with, a booking containing a QF codeshare on a JQ operated flight. That is unless you realy want to be on a JQ operated flight.
 

Reggie

Established Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
1,617
Alan in CBR said:
It's already possible to have a Qantas ticket on a flight with a Qantas flight number and have to pay for food. Happens with all the codeshares operated by American Airlines.

Still, it's an unfortunate development.
Alan,

This is true for economy, but the First class cabin still receive free food, drinks and head sets (if you can call them that) at no extra cost.

Reggie
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,740
Flights
My Map
Dave Noble said:
QF codeshare passengers get the entertainment and meal packs included as part of their ticket

Dave
I think they get headsets for the mainscreen entertainment and not the portable video units.
 

LotusEliseDriver

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2006
Messages
13
OK, as I sit here booking a flight for a colleague from Aus to Singapore, i am trying to work out why the hell I would book qantas not Jetstar, and I fly Qantas mostly all the time...

(cue: checking Cathay Pacific)

Question: would this also happen if I book flight as a BA flight?

Mr D..
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
LotusEliseDriver said:
OK, as I sit here booking a flight for a colleague from Aus to Singapore, i am trying to work out why the hell I would book qantas not Jetstar, and I fly Qantas mostly all the time...
This is a good question. I have been wondering for a while about how Geoffstar's "Starclass" will impact on pax who would normally fly QF. It may well butcher some of their existing business. Maybe they don't care? :-|

LotusEliseDriver said:
Question: would this also happen if I book flight as a BA flight?
I have no clue. Hopefully someone else can answer this. But it does beg the question: what will Deathstar's effect be on other OW carriers plying the same routes, e.g. BA?
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,267
Flights
My Map
Qantas has applied to get codesharing on Jetstar flights. BA and other carriers have not (AFAIK). So you won't see BA9997879 (Codeshare on Jetstar).

Does make things interesting from FF schemes point of view. How are these codeshares treated by eg. BA's Exec Club or AA's AAdvantage? I presume they are treated like all other non-OW codeshares and thus points inelgible, but still wonder what complications that may give on the Kangaroo route.

Lots of confusion will abound. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Mal said:
Qantas has applied to get codesharing on Jetstar flights. BA and other carriers have not (AFAIK). So you won't see BA9997879 (Codeshare on Jetstar).

Does make things interesting from FF schemes point of view. How are these codeshares treated by eg. BA's Exec Club or AA's AAdvantage? I presume they are treated like all other non-OW codeshares and thus points inelgible, but still wonder what complications that may give on the Kangaroo route.

Lots of confusion will abound. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Being a codeshare on a non OW flight does not make a flight ineligable for AA points; not sure about BA.

It is possible to redeem AA points for QF codeshares on JQ

Dave
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,267
Flights
My Map
Dave Noble said:
Being a codeshare on a non OW flight does not make a flight ineligable for AA points; not sure about BA.

It is possible to redeem AA points for QF codeshares on JQ

Dave

Thanks for that. Didn't realise that about AA - another AAdvantage I spose :)

As for BA, just had a look - "†Some Codeshare flights that are not operated by BA’s Airline Partners are not eligible for mileage earning by BA Executive Club Members"

Don't know how to read that statement in relation to Jetstar (Although it could be fairly moot considering the fare classes that are eligible for BA earn on Qantas).
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,806
Flights
My Map
Yada Yada said:
This is a good question. I have been wondering for a while about how Geoffstar's "Starclass" will impact on pax who would normally fly QF. It may well butcher some of their existing business. Maybe they don't care? :-|
I can see that StarClass may be attractive to people who would normally travell QF economy. For a small variation in fare, you get a more comfortable seat. That would be a good incentive for me. I think overall that would not be a bad thing for the Qantas Group.

But if my regular travel plan involved QF business class, then I don't think JQ International Star Class is going to be a threat to QF's revenue.

I guess one option may be to take JQ Star Class for daytime flights, and QF J for overnight flights?

I guess it will come down to who is paying the air fare. For a personally funded vacation, I would consider JQ Star Class as an alternate to QF economy. For a business trip where my employer is not going to pay for business class, I would consider JQ Star Class. If my travel policy permits business class travel, then JQ is not going to get a look in.

However, I will also consider other things as well as price. The probability that my flight will be delayed/cancelled and how I will be treated if there is a delay or cancellation also carry weight in my decision process. I would expect to be better looked after by QF, BA, CX, SQ, MH, VS etc than I would by JQ. That will have an influence over how I direct my travel budget.
 

kpc

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 11, 2003
Messages
6,049
LotusEliseDriver said:
OK, as I sit here booking a flight for a colleague from Aus to Singapore, i am trying to work out why the hell I would book qantas not Jetstar, and I fly Qantas mostly all the time...

(cue: checking Cathay Pacific)

Question: would this also happen if I book flight as a BA flight?

Mr D..
Why wouldn't you consider SQ which has 3 daily flights bewteen Sydney (I assume that is the destination in Oz) and Singapore?;)
 

Alan in CBR

Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2004
Messages
308
Reggie said:
Alan,

This is true for economy, but the First class cabin still receive free food, drinks and head sets (if you can call them that) at no extra cost.

Reggie
True, but I guess the point I was making (badly, obviously) was:
- QF economy ticket, QF flight number, QF operated flight = free food
- QF economy ticket, QF flight number, AA operated flight = no free food

That would seem to be the equivalent situation to:
- QF economy ticket, QF flight number, QF operated flight = free food
- QF economy ticket, QF flight number, JQ operated flight = no free food

Alan.
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,740
Flights
My Map
Alan in CBR said:
True, but I guess the point I was making (badly, obviously) was:
- QF economy ticket, QF flight number, QF operated flight = free food
- QF economy ticket, QF flight number, AA operated flight = no free food

That would seem to be the equivalent situation to:
- QF economy ticket, QF flight number, QF operated flight = free food
- QF economy ticket, QF flight number, JQ operated flight = no free food
Bear in mind the actual situation is

- QF economy ticket, QF flight number, QF operated flight = free food
- QF economy ticket, QF flight number, JQ operated flight = free food

(but the drinks situation most certainly looks different!)
 

LotusEliseDriver

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2006
Messages
13
kpc said:
Why wouldn't you consider SQ which has 3 daily flights bewteen Sydney (I assume that is the destination in Oz) and Singapore?;)
'cause Kev from Tassie is a mad gold ff and will only fly OW of some sort..

I owe him for some of the consultancy he did here in IRL, so give him what he wants.. But he'd kill me if he ended up on the crapster..

Look: I would really fly MAS (Malaysian) every where myself and have in the past .. I think they have the best, most attentive cabin service of _all_ airlines, but seeing am a sniff away from Gold, then.. (cue: questioning my sanity)

Mr D.
 

Reggie

Established Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
1,617
When I was in the US a few months ago, AA were basically advising pax that they could buy food and drink in the terminal and consume on the plane. With the new restrictions on liquid they would now have to carry move drinks on board to cover for greater on board demand.
 

gaia

Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2003
Messages
125
NM said:
I can see that StarClass may be attractive to people who would normally travell QF economy. For a small variation in fare, you get a more comfortable seat. That would be a good incentive for me. I think overall that would not be a bad thing for the Qantas Group.
quote]

I plan to try the MEL-BKK JQ Starclass as soon as it's available. I flew MEL-SYD-BKK last week (booked Y & upgraded to J with points). As I'm not a fan of Skybed; avoiding the MEL-SYD flight, getting J SCs, and a reasonable sized seat appeals to me.

I've travelled MEL<-> HKG 3 times in the last month one & one time I had to pay for F (ouch) and the others no upgrade available from Y to J, so JQ Starclass flights certainly appear to be worth a try for me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
82,013
Messages
1,896,593
Members
49,847
Latest member
Christian_B
Top