Qantas Credit Card Service Fee (CCSF) | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Qantas Credit Card Service Fee (CCSF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aus_flyer

Established Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,361
Qantas Credit Card Service Fee (CCSF)

Since July 2003 Qantas has been collecting a 1% Credit Card Service Fee (CCSF) on credit and charge card transactions for all domestic tickets and for international net fare tickets to partially offset the cost of merchant fees charged to the airline.

Effective 24 May 2006, Qantas will change the way it charges the CCSF introducing a Flat Fee methodology collected through a CCSF YR tax code. The CCSF change will apply to domestic fares, international net fares and is extended to include international published fares. Collection of the CCSF through a Flat Fee utilising the YR tax code will more simply and transparently disclose the CCSF incurred by the customer.


Domestic AU (incl. GST) $4.40
Trans Tasman & Dom NZ $4.40
International $12.00
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,796
Flights
My Map
Here they go again trying to pass off a fee as a tax. Note the use of the term "CSSF YR tax code". How can they call it a tax? Which government imposed this fee? Its not a tax, its a fee. So Qantas, please call it a fee and not try to imply its a tax and hide it in with the other fees and taxes.

And I suppose the $4.40 or $12.00 YR fee will also be added to award tickets (along with fuel fines, airport fees and charges and legitimate government taxes) since we have to provide a credit card to pay all the other fees and charges!

The fee used to be 1%. So that means that any domestic airfare less than $440 is now going to be paying an effective rate of more than 1%. And of course now that we only have one-way fares, and this fee applies to the fare and not the ticket, I assume they will collect one YR fee for each sector!
Collection of the CCSF through a Flat Fee utilising the YR tax code will more simply and transparently disclose the CCSF incurred by the customer.
Yeah, right Qantas. Pull the other one - it plays Jingle Bells.
 

aus_flyer

Established Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,361
NM said:
(along with fuel fines, airport fees and charges and legitimate government taxes)
What are are going to see (for domestic fares) is the continual rise of the number of tickets where the fees/fines/tax et al are greater than the actual base fare.

Take the current red edeal for BNE/SYD:
Fare..............$34.00
Fees/Taxes....$47.14....(soon to be $51.54 with CCSF)

Ok, they are on sale, so perhaps not the best example - but you get my drift.


.. and don't forget the fee for Geoff's retirement
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,109
NM said:
And I suppose the $4.40 or $12.00 YR fee will also be added to award tickets....
You have a crystal ball somewhere in front of you? :roll:

It won't be long before you will see a red edeal for BNE/SYD:
Fare..................$ 1.00
Fees/Taxes....$101.14....

No one is getting in the way to stop them.

Geoff does not need a retirement fund. His once a year bonus, for keeping Qantas in business, is more than enough to fund the retirement of at least 20 people every year.
 

DJ737

Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2005
Messages
407
Hi there

In addition to the above, you will also be able pay for tickets via B-Pay on the QF website from late May and save the CC fee/tax.

Cheers
DJ737
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,796
Flights
My Map
DJ737 said:
Hi there

In addition to the above, you will also be able pay for tickets via B-Pay on the QF website from late May and save the CC fee/tax.

Cheers
DJ737
And then stand by for the introduction of a BPay surcharge in July :twisted: .
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,109
NM said:
And then stand by for the introduction of a BPay surcharge in July :twisted: .
You took the words right out of my mouth....

Don't laugh, some merchants already include a surcharge for paying by BPay. :(
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,796
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
You took the words right out of my mouth....

Don't laugh, some merchants already include a surcharge for paying by BPay. :(
And last week Commonwealth Bank removed their 50c fee for scheduling a BPay payment on a credit card. So that is a positive move at least. When was the last time airlines decreased their fees, charges, levies, surcharges, fines, incentives, inducements, etc?
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,256
Flights
My Map
More 'taxes''.

Thanks Qantas.

I would never pay via Bpay for an airline ticket. Less protection in the case of major issues, and no insurance for the trip via the CC company.

Like the last Qantas fee change (aka the "sting me for calling up and making a change"), how long till the media takes an interest?
 

one9

Active Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
596
Mal said:
...I would never pay via Bpay for an airline ticket. Less protection in the case of major issues, and no insurance for the trip via the CC company. ...
Never is a strong word.

First consideration should be whether your credit card gives you travel insurance. If it does, and you have no other travel insurance, then it is likely that the credit card surcharge would be less than buying travel insurance.

If you credit card does not provide travel insurance or if you already have travel insurance, then you need to weigh up the extra costs of paying by credit card versus the very small risk of airline bankruptcy. It is likely that the risk of airline bankruptcy is less than the credit card surcharge. Then you need to weigh up the value of the credit card points that you would earn.

If the travel insurance is not relevant, then it really comes down to your risk adversity.
 

aus_flyer

Established Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,361
NM said:
When was the last time airlines decreased their fees, charges, levies, surcharges, fines, incentives, inducements, etc?
It was a Tuesday...... Back in 1965
 

roryg

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2005
Messages
33
Avoid the CC fee by paying through BPay?

Seems like a good idea to me, except for...

If your CC is one of those that gives points for purchases, or even - Heaven forbid! bonus points for Qantas spends - then you lose those points by using BPay.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,278
Flights
My Map
More here (from the Agent's Site): Qantas Credit Card Service Fee (CCSF)

The fee is quoted as being on a "flat fee per passenger per ticket" basis, so a multi segment itinery should have only the one fee per PAX.

Still, as NM indicated, Qantas are going to increase their revenue take on this; I'm sure the vast majority of Domestic fares purchased within oz are less than the $440 break even point.

Since the (thankful) demise of the Ansett Levy I have been in the habit of doing one-way bookings for the majority of my trips. Now I will need to consider going back to return or round trip bookings.

Hmmmm, AA is sounding more interesting by the week.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
serfty said:
Since the (thankful) demise of the Ansett Levy I have been in the habit of doing one-way bookings for the majority of my trips. Now I will need to consider going back to return or round trip bookings.
You don't have to book on the QF website, there are other options which should not accrue the fee

Dave
 

DJ737

Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2005
Messages
407
OT but related

Hmmmm, AA is sounding more interesting by the week
Don't bet on it.....
Called AA plat desk (doesn't actually exist) in the USA to book award flight QF AYQ-MEL-AYQ they had availabilty wheas QF did not for the flights i wanted, but wouldn't accept an australian credit card :roll:

Put booking on hold to pay the taxes/ fines by phoning SYD office who didn't have a clue as to what i was on about (could not find PNR) back to the US number which confirmed the reservation, they said they would contact SYD on my behalf, so i will try SYD again in the morning.

DJ737
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Re: OT but related

DJ737 said:
Called AA plat desk (doesn't actually exist) in the USA to book award flight QF AYQ-MEL-AYQ they had availabilty wheas QF did not for the flights i wanted, but wouldn't accept an australian credit card :roll:
The AA desk should take Australian Credit Cards from Elite members; next time speak to a Supervisor about the credit card issue

Dave
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
NM said:
JohnK said:
You took the words right out of my mouth....

Don't laugh, some merchants already include a surcharge for paying by BPay. :(
And last week Commonwealth Bank removed their 50c fee for scheduling a BPay payment on a credit card. So that is a positive move at least. When was the last time airlines decreased their fees, charges, levies, surcharges, fines, incentives, inducements, etc?
My bank recently trumpeted a decrease in foreign exchange fees. The small print made it clear it was a reduction by Mastercard not the bank. Even smaller print showed the amount of reduction - a whopping 0.1%. Farcical - much like this QF phony tax.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,109
Funny you should say that Kiwi Flyer as I heard the other day that financial institutions are feeling the pinch and the only way to get out of strife is to increase telephone banking and net banking fees. Hmmm.
 

DJ737

Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2005
Messages
407
The AA desk should take Australian Credit Cards from Elite members; next time speak to a Supervisor about the credit card issue
Hi there

AA in the US will only accept AUS credit cards in the name of the person booked on the flight, as this award was for my GF who works at the Rock, i had to call AA SYD to pay the taxes & fines :roll: (USD 127.90)

Cheers
DJ737
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
81,298
Messages
1,875,178
Members
49,186
Latest member
zmz0701
Top