Qantas A380 refurbishment news and updates. | Page 7 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Qantas A380 refurbishment news and updates.

docjames

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Something someone has passed on to me, don't know how old or inaccurate it may be.

Lower deck as per announcements won't change, besides new seat covers for Y, and updated F seat covers and IFE.

Great graphic, thanks for posting.

The two interesting bits for me - I thought all seats now had to be located between doors (ie. you couldn’t build an aircraft with seating forward of the first exit door - hence zone A is behind the first doors on the 380 as opposed to the older 747 design, and that graphic also doesn’t show the rear stairs (are they staying or going??). I also wonder what regulatory hurdles are needed to be appeased to permanently block the Right rearmost Upper door?

moa999

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Another report on airliners that while OQE is indeed going to DRS Dresden, it's only going for maintenance, not a refurb

• Sad
Reactions: DC3

TheInsider

AFF Supporter
Another report on airliners that while OQE is indeed going to DRS Dresden, it's only going for maintenance, not a refurb
From my info OQE won't be done until November.
Should be K, then L, then J, then G with K starting 30th May. (but like i said this info is from March)

kingzac

Intern
Flights
My Map
I'm in F on QF8 next Feb, what do you think the chances are of getting a refurbed bed/screen will be?
I'd be thinking the DFW routes will be one of the last?

TheInsider

AFF Supporter
I'm in F on QF8 next Feb, what do you think the chances are of getting a refurbed bed/screen will be?
I'd be thinking the DFW routes will be one of the last?
Nothing to do with the route, all got to do with the a/c rotation.

samh004

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I also wonder what regulatory hurdles are needed to be appeased to permanently block the Right rearmost Upper door?
On that note, do you reckon the seats near the plugged door will still be as chilly as other exit rows usually are?

moa999

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I'd guess 4 or 5 out of 11.

OQE off on QF5 as scheduled.
Guess we will find out what happens in about 5 weeks

docjames

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
On that note, do you reckon the seats near the plugged door will still be as chilly as other exit rows usually are?
I assume that will totally depend on how the door is “plugged” but if they go to the trouble of taking the door mechanism out, then it’ll probably have to be reasonably pressure sealed. If the internal door skin is removed and just a flat “blank” over the top then that would mean no change to current level of “sealing”.

Might be a good an for ask the pilot (?ask the aircraft engineer???) along with the certification requirements for doing such a change.

kingzac

Intern
Flights
My Map
Nothing to do with the route, all got to do with the a/c rotation.
Interesting. I'm not as up on how each the metal is aligned to routes etc. I was just getting the vibe from the discussion that the DFW flights weren't as utilised as much as other routes so might not get the refurbed planes. I'll have to study up more. Thank you

moa999

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
In general the QF aircraft aren't dedicated to a route, rather fly patterns to minimise ground time and to ensure sufficient time at maintenance points (mostly SYD and LAX) for the minor services and checks.

Fergo747

Intern
I was just getting the vibe from the discussion that the DFW flights weren't as utilised as much as other routes so might not get the refurbed planes
Whilst that might be true for Y on the DFW route, the premium cabins are typically quite full (even in F). I've done two return DFW flights in the last couple of months and can tell you that at 7 days out both the J and F cabins have only had a couple of seats remaining and have subsequently been full for the flights themselves. So one might think that the given the increase in premium seating in the new config, the DFW route may actually be one of the first routes to get a refurbed aircraft.

kingzac

Intern
Flights
My Map
So one might think that the given the increase in premium seating in the new config, the DFW route may actually be one of the first routes to get a refurbed aircraft.
And this kind of info is why I like it here. Always interesting to know this stuff and I've got a glimmer of hope :D

milehighclub

Guess we will find out what happens in about 5 weeks
Probably nothing. Crew don't even start training until the end of June with everyone having it done by early August. So I dare say the first aircraft won't be flying until at least after then.

moa999

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Interesting. Assume that's new emergency exit procedures for the upper deck plus the new J and PE seats plus any new galley equipment etc.

serfty

Flights
My Map
J will be better indeed, but PE will be worst and no more upper deck in Y. Minimal changes in F. So I'd say it's only good news for J flyers.
I actually prefer Skybeds with the side storage on the A380 than the Qantas Business suites - so for mine it will be a loss except if in First.

Berlin

AFF Supporter
I actually prefer Skybeds with the side storage on the A380 than the Qantas Business suites - so for mine it will be a loss except if in First.
There's something to it, actually. ESPECIALLY if traveling with my partner, I'd prefer the old Skybeds any day.

And the Qantas Business SEATS are SEATS and not even remotely akin a Suite. Not even the First Swivel seats are suits, no matter what Qantas marketing tries to tell us. Qatar Qsuites are SUITES and that's en entirely different ballgame.

amaroo

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Happy to see the droopy sky beds ripped out. Those things should have a warning sticker "maybe harmful for your back"

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danim