Q about seats with restricted legroom due to entertainment boxes | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Q about seats with restricted legroom due to entertainment boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pollywaffle

Active Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2006
Messages
514
Hi all.

My current economy seat allocation is 35H on a QF 747-400 flight(Syd-JBurg).

Seatguru states that seats C,D,G & H all have entertainment boxes underneath them which reduces legroom. These are all the aisle seats and that's my preference.

I am tossing up whether to keep the seat or try for another seat. I haven't been on an international flight for a couple of years and I can't even recall how intrusive these boxes were. Last trip I was in seat 35K, with a married couple seated next to me, so if there was restriced room, I'm sure they were more prepared to play footsie.

I am hoping someone can tell me how much legroom I am losing by being seated in 35H on a QF 747-400.

Thanks in advance, PW.
 

meljfk

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2007
Messages
32
I am about to take international flights with QF too... And have requested Aisle seats in Economy... :(

The entertainment boxes are reasonably intrusive, however I still request aisle's because the extra room you can utilise in the Aisle of the 747 outweighs the negatives of the entertainment boxes!

The box itself is about the same as 3 hardcover books nxt to each other on the floor next to the support for the row in front of you.

Happy Travels!
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,253
Flights
My Map
I've found them to be obtrusive at times, but not totally annoying.

I became an Aisle addict a while ago, and won't look back (IFE box interrupting my leg room or not :D )
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,001
They do get in the way occassionally when trying to stretch out but I find that being able to stick one leg out in the aisle, without tripping anyone, more than compensates for the discomfort of the IFE box.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,118
Flights
My Map
Pollywaffle said:
Hi all.

My current economy seat allocation is 35H on a QF 747-400 flight(Syd-JBurg).
IMHO 35H is the best WHY seat on any Qantas 3-Class 744.
 

Brettmcg

Active Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2006
Messages
833
Flights
My Map
serfty said:
IMHO 35H is the best WHY seat on any Qantas 3-Class 744.
I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this point. 35H is directly behind the crew seats which means a big blue screen, as well as a fair bit of traffic in and out of behind the curtains...not to mention chatter and laughter during their breaks (usually as everyone is trying to sleep). I got allocated this seat on the way home from Frankfurt. Thankfully a very considerate FA moved me to a bank of free seats just a few rows back!
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,118
Flights
My Map
Brettmcg said:
I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this point. 35H is directly behind the crew seats which means a big blue screen, as well as a fair bit of traffic in and out of behind the curtains...not to mention chatter and laughter during their breaks (usually as everyone is trying to sleep). I got allocated this seat on the way home from Frankfurt. Thankfully a very considerate FA moved me to a bank of free seats just a few rows back!
YMMV, cheers
- Few reclinig issues
- Right at front
- More privacy (Big Blue Screen)

It's the first seat I vie for after booking ...
 

Brettmcg

Active Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2006
Messages
833
Flights
My Map
Maybe it was just me, but this seat also seemed to have significantly less pitch than most others (my memory might not be so great though...it was over two years ago).
 

Harriet Vane

Intern
Joined
Jul 26, 2007
Messages
52
How do you go about requesting certain seats? Without any real status (I'm a lowly QFF Bronze) is there any way to achieve this apart from showing up early on the day? I've seen people mention the ability to list preferred seats in their QFF profiles, but I can't find the section.

I'm hoping for Row 70-72 seats A and B or J and K for our trip later this year in the 747-400 SYD-LAX.
 

Evan

Established Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
3,168
As you say turn up early, but really there is only 2 ways.
1.) Have status (Gold/Plat from memory) you only get the choice in your profile with this status.
2.) Some travel agents when they book have some power to request seats. Usually the big corperate ones.

E
 

Pollywaffle

Active Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2006
Messages
514
Thanks all.

Hmm...I"ll probably just keep the seat. It is a toss up bw the freedom of getting up and down when I like vs. that extra leg room. Being tall is a pain when flying economy but that's all the budget can stretch to.

As for being behind the crew seats, yes, you do have the screen/curtains in front of you but that didn't bother me. I also must have been lucky with the crew at the time - the only time they went in there was to sleep - no talking or anything. They were either very tired or had had enough of each other so were deliberately avoiding each other. :D

Harriet, you are not alone - not only am I a lowly QFF Bronze, but this flight is also an awards redemption. For all I know I will be bumped to the worst seat when they do the final seat allocaton prior to opening OLCI. ;)

Thanks again, PW.
 

Evan

Established Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
3,168
OT a little but i have never had any noisy crew in the rest areas, generally if they want to talk especially on a 747 it will be the 2 galleys together in the middle/rear.

Most QF crews i think like to sleep with the pax :)
E
 

Harriet Vane

Intern
Joined
Jul 26, 2007
Messages
52
Evan said:
OT a little but i have never had any noisy crew in the rest areas, generally if they want to talk especially on a 747 it will be the 2 galleys together in the middle/rear.

Most QF crews i think like to sleep with the pax :)
E
Especially if that passenger is Ralph Fiennes?
 

Evan

Established Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
3,168
Harriet Vane said:
Especially if that passenger is Ralph Fiennes?
Yes, i intended the double meaning. But you find that QF crews will not be too 'active' once the lights are dimmed and most people have had there dinner and watched there first movie. SQ crews seems to be fully awake and busy at that time of the night.
But i don't have an issue getting a drink if i want one at that time, but even then i prefer to go for a walk and talk to them in the galley a bit, no matter if its whY or J i start to climb the walls after a certain number of hours in a plane. Less than 8 hours ok, those longer flights i just need to getup and move around a bit.

Also the entertainment box from memory is ok on all rows except the 2nd row in each cabin. And maybe from memory its better on one side than the other or the middle seats compared to outside. i wish i could remember now. I do it so often and then wish every time i paid more attention so i could choose a seat thats a bit better.

In any case i will always choose isle in whY over a middle or window.

E
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,118
Flights
My Map
Brettmcg said:
Maybe it was just me, but this seat also seemed to have significantly less pitch than most others (my memory might not be so great though...it was over two years ago).
The pitch is the same as for any other standard QF 744 WHY seat.
Harriet Vane said:
How do you go about requesting certain seats? Without any real status (I'm a lowly QFF Bronze) is there any way to achieve this apart from showing up early on the day? I've seen people mention the ability to list preferred seats in their QFF profiles, but I can't find the section.

I'm hoping for Row 70-72 seats A and B or J and K for our trip later this year in the 747-400 SYD-LAX.
Call Qantas on 13 13 13 armed with your booking details and ASK. If there are less than around 20% of the WHY seats already pre-allocated they can pre-assign a seat for you.

You can get an idea of this by using www.checkmytrip.com and your Qantas booking reference. This may provide a seat map for you.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,118
Flights
My Map
Harriet Vane said:
Evan said:
As you say turn up early, but really there is only 2 ways.
1.) Have status (Gold/Plat from memory) you only get the choice in your profile with this status.
2.) Some travel agents when they book have some power to request seats. Usually the big corperate ones. ...
Thanks, Evan. I guess we'll just have to see how our luck is on the day!
This is incorrect; see my previous post.

BTW, For those with status of QP and above, seats can still generally be preselected even if over the ~20% limit.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,118
Flights
My Map
Pollywaffle said:
... Harriet, you are not alone - not only am I a lowly QFF Bronze, but this flight is also an awards redemption. For all I know I will be bumped to the worst seat when they do the final seat allocaton prior to opening OLCI. ;) . ...
Getting "bumped" is very unlikely; generally you get to sit in your preallocated seat. Being on an award makes no difference, Qantas will treat you like any other WHY passenger.

Note that OLCI is not currently available for Qantas international flights.

One further question ... if you have no status, how did you get 35H preallocated for you? This seat is in the zone reserved for QP and above status, more than that 35H can generally only be preallocated on request and by SG/WP/CL only. As it's an award flight, was it booked on your behalf by a WP relative of yours?
 

Brettmcg

Active Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2006
Messages
833
Flights
My Map
serfty said:
One further question ... if you have no status, how did you get 35H preallocated for you? This seat is in the zone reserved for QP and above status, more than that 35H can generally only be preallocated on request and by SG/WP/CL only. As it's an award flight, was it booked on your behalf by a WP relative of yours?
Are you sure? As I mentioned, I travelled two years ago with no status (still the case today unfortunately!) and not even a FF membership and was allocated this seat months in advance.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,118
Flights
My Map
Brettmcg said:
Are you sure? As I mentioned, I travelled two years ago with no status (still the case today unfortunately!) and not even a FF membership and was allocated this seat months in advance.
I believe some TA's have the ability to submit such requests on behalf of their clients - they are generally granted.

However, an award flight does not normally have an associated TA who can do this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
80,805
Messages
1,859,189
Members
48,638
Latest member
Brett22a
Top