purchase gift cards

Discussion in 'American Express Rewards' started by auriga, May 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. auriga

auriga Active Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Is buying a gift card from coles or woolworths treated the same as a regular purchase as far as Amex is concerned? ie, not treated like a cash advance?

2. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    99% sure that it is.

Amex aren't told anything else other than a purchase was made at Woolies/Coles for X dollars.

While I've never really looked closely, I've purchased gift vouchers from various places on both Visa and Amex and havn't noticed anything weird on my statement.

3. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Yep. I do this regularly. I can buy the $500 cards for $475, making it a good value way of earning Amex points and saving 5% on grocery purchases. Definately seen as a normal purchase from Amex and not a cash advance - at least the way I buy them through API.

4. v8Statesman

v8Statesman Established Member

Care to elaborate on how this is done?

5. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    API Leisure & Lifestyle (Formally the "australian Postal Institute).

6. Maca44

Maca44 Established Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Sydney
    They might have changed, or maybe my understanding is wrong, but when I look at the API website you mention it states:

Payment options for virtual shop orders and other services:
    • by credit card on-line (Credit cards accepted are Visa, Mastercard and Bankcard)
    • by faxing or mailing your credit card details by filling in the details in Step 3 then printing it out.
    • by mailing a cheque or Australia Post money order
    There is no mention of amex cards, and even if you used a Mastercard and received ff points on a 1:1 basis it is difficult to beat the 1.5 offered by amex.

7. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    aPI also have various offices centres dotted around Oz. There is one in Wharf st Brisbane, maybe they will take AX where the web won't.

8. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I have always used my Amex card when purchasing Coles cards, movie tickets, theme park tickets etc through API. I always purchase on-line.

However, I must correct the details above. They only offer $50, $100 and $200 cards, and the $200 cards cost $190 for API members. I have just checked by going through the purchase process and yes, Amex is still a valid Credit Card payment option for these on-line purhcases.

9. kawoh

kawoh Junior Member

Jun 5, 2003
    are there any gift cards that allow you to refund the purchase back in cash?????

also, is there a link for the coles myer card, not just the coles one?