purchase gift cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

auriga

Is buying a gift card from coles or woolworths treated the same as a regular purchase as far as Amex is concerned? ie, not treated like a cash advance?

99% sure that it is.

Amex aren't told anything else other than a purchase was made at Woolies/Coles for X dollars.

While I've never really looked closely, I've purchased gift vouchers from various places on both Visa and Amex and havn't noticed anything weird on my statement.

auriga said:
Is buying a gift card from coles or woolworths treated the same as a regular purchase as far as Amex is concerned? ie, not treated like a cash advance?
Yep. I do this regularly. I can buy the $500 cards for $475, making it a good value way of earning Amex points and saving 5% on grocery purchases. Definately seen as a normal purchase from Amex and not a cash advance - at least the way I buy them through API.

NM said:
Yep. I do this regularly. I can buy the $500 cards for $475, making it a good value way of earning Amex points and saving 5% on grocery purchases. Definately seen as a normal purchase from Amex and not a cash advance - at least the way I buy them through API.

They might have changed, or maybe my understanding is wrong, but when I look at the API website you mention it states:

Payment options for virtual shop orders and other services:
  • by credit card on-line (Credit cards accepted are Visa, Mastercard and Bankcard)
  • by faxing or mailing your credit card details by filling in the details in Step 3 then printing it out.
  • by mailing a cheque or Australia Post money order
There is no mention of amex cards, and even if you used a Mastercard and received ff points on a 1:1 basis it is difficult to beat the 1.5 offered by amex.

Maca44 said:
... [*]by credit card on-line (Credit cards accepted are Visa, Mastercard and Bankcard) ...
aPI also have various offices centres dotted around Oz. There is one in Wharf st Brisbane, maybe they will take AX where the web won't.

Maca44 said:
They might have changed, or maybe my understanding is wrong, but when I look at the API website you mention it states:
I have always used my Amex card when purchasing Coles cards, movie tickets, theme park tickets etc through API. I always purchase on-line.

However, I must correct the details above. They only offer $50, $100 and $200 cards, and the $200 cards cost $190 for API members. I have just checked by going through the purchase process and yes, Amex is still a valid Credit Card payment option for these on-line purhcases.

are there any gift cards that allow you to refund the purchase back in cash?????

also, is there a link for the coles myer card, not just the coles one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back