Problem with QF IFE system admitted to by QF

Discussion in 'Travel News' started by Dave Noble, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Full story at Gremlins give passengers a dose of cabin fever - Technology - theage.com.au

Dave

2. fursten

fursten Junior Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Melbourne
    Last trip to Lax in Novmber better half of Fursten experieced Gremlin, could not access movies propely . Staff tried resets etc no avail
    of course no apology
    Fursten

3. timekeeping

timekeeping Newbie

Apr 21, 2006
    The IFE locked up on the seat next to me in Y when I flew HKG-SYD earlier this month. The passenger next to me was moved to another seat which was good for me. :mrgreen:

But yes, QF really need to get its act together with the IFE.

Perhaps the much rumoured new seats etc will also mean a new IFE system..

4. Evan

Evan Established Member

Dec 26, 2006
    SIN / MEL
    Windows CE with Z-Modem download for boot.... When i first saw that on the 330's a few years ago now i laughed and realised why they had a rockwell engineer on the flight to help solve issues !

Still i presume the issue is the server, so you would think QF could push rockwell collins to replace the server side, or atleast some to some deal to replace at cost or share costs.

Having said all that i generally have not had issues very often a few flights requireing reboots but atleast not mid movie and right at the begining of the flight.

Evan

5. timekeeping

timekeeping Newbie

Apr 21, 2006
    <geek speak> WinCE? Gee.. You'd imagine they would be smart enough to put something like this on a more reliable, scalable and customizable os like Linux. On the other hand, MS was making a push for CE to be on set top boxes a few years ago. That got no where. </geek speak>

I've only had the experience of the IFE freezing or rebooting on me mid-flight 3 or 4 times. Once was the FA mistakenly rebooting my IFE instead of the one next to me. The crew was always apologetic about it.

6. Altair

Altair Active Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Wellington
    I keep chuckling to myself when people talk about "gremlins". Didn't you know that QF bans them on their flights?;) Have a look at the safety card and you can see a "Gremlin" in the crossed out circle.:shock: :D

7. kyle

kyle Active Member

Mar 8, 2006
    MEL
    That's a Furby! :D

8. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    latest news

Full story at Air rage prompts Qantas action - Travel - smh.com.au

Dave

9. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I still can't believe this issue has been happening for around 2 years already and Qantas is only now going into panic mode.

It's amazing that an issue has to be written up in the media and whinged about there to get the attention it deserves. Wasn't the X number of complaints logged with Qantas good enough?

Maybe we need more articles on fuel surcharges ;)

10. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Don't give them any ideas ... I can see the introduction of an AVOD surcharge coming next :evil: .

11. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Perhaps it demonstrates that Qantas does not analyse in a statistical way the complaints being made. Or, perhaps it is reflective of the contempt that Qantas has for passenger viewpoints. At least the crew have decided to make an issue out of it.