Premium Economy or Business QF 380 Sydney to LAX | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Premium Economy or Business QF 380 Sydney to LAX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
am travelling to Sydney- LAX in economy and would like to use some of my hard earned QFF points to upgrade to Premium Economy or Business for the out bound flight. Would Premium Economy on the Qantas A380 afford me a few hours of sleep ? Or should I upgrade to business ? :eek:

TheDan

Intern
I've slept pretty well in premium economy on SYD-NRT, but obviously it won't compare to a Skybed Mk II in biz. As upgrades on the trans-pacific route are quite though, particular without elite status, you could try to get a business upgrade, but only opt for the option to get premium economy in case you are not successful.

Grooba

Established Member
Personally when in your situation I skip the jump to PE and go for a J upgrade only. For some reason I'm happy to sit in Y if it doesn't come through. YMMV.

Flights
My Map
If sleep is genuinely what you want and points aren't an issue, then obviously J! I've done PE on the A380 many times, and I get some sleep, but nothing compares to laying flat.

juddles

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
My 2c worth:

- Premium Economy is far better than Y. Far, far better.
- But ¨better than cattle class¨ doesn´t mean it is fun. It is IMHO simply bearable.
- QF A380 J is actually ENJOYABLE.
- I think points upgrades on long haul flights are an excellent way to use hard earned points
- but as per other poster´s comments, likelihood of upgrade is unknown. And careful also with your calculations on how many points will cost, as this is founded on your ticket base.

Hope you go for the upgrade, good luck! :)

mannej

AFF Supporter
Just keep in mind the only way to lock in a seat in either Y+ or J is to actually pay for one.

Points upgrades for these routes are a lottery.

Just keep in mind the only way to lock in a seat in either Y+ or J is to actually pay for one.

Points upgrades for these routes are a lottery.

thanks for all your comments. Will try to go for business with option of PE if that falls through.

dodgeyhack

Flights
My Map
Personally I never put in for a PE upgrade because I'm terrified it might come through and the only seats available will be middle ones. I'd rather my carefully selected Y seat any day.

Quickstatus

AFF Supporter
As you are a Silver status the chance of an upgrade is very slim. If you can get it well good. But dont count on it. Also did you purchase a discounted economy ticket - well if you did your chances are even less.

Obviously J better than PE. But your chances of hopping from Y to J and skipping PE is less than from Y to PE.

Nothing wrong flying Y.

Much better to try and improve your Y seat allocation and try to pay a bit more for one of the exit rows.

On the A380 may i suggest:

row 34 DEFG, 35 DEF J

bulkhead rows: 48ABC, 52DEFG, 51HJK, 66ABCDEFGHJK, 79BCHJ, 80AJ

avoid at all costs 36D as it is not an aisle seat - you have to exit by asking 36EF to stand up so you can get out to the right.

Avoid any rows which are at the just infront of a bulkhead 65ABC, 63DEFG, 64HJK, 77ABCDEFGHJK, 86ABC HJK and 88DEFG and 70 EFG

Last edited:

ozbeachbabe

AFF Supporter
As you are a Silver status the chance of an upgrade is very slim. If you can get it well good. But dont count on it. Also did you purchase a discounted economy ticket - well if you did your chances are even less.

Obviously J better than PE. But your chances of hopping from Y to J and skipping PE is less than from Y to PE.

Nothing wrong flying Y.

Much better to try and improve your Y seat allocation and try to pay a bit more for one of the exit rows.

On the A380 may i suggest:

row 34 DEFG, 35 DEF J

bulkhead rows: 48ABC, 52DEFG, 51HJK, 66ABCDEFGHJK, 79BCHJ, 80AJ

avoid at all costs 36D as it is not an aisle seat - you have to exit by asking 36EF to stand up so you can get out to the right.

Avoid any rows which are at the just infront of a bulkhead 65ABC, 63DEFG, 64HJK, 77ABCDEFGHJK, 86ABC HJK and 88DEFG and 70 EFG
Never flown in PE however I second the above with regard to preferring a decent seat in whY rather than getting a points upgrade to PE in a middle seat.

In peak peak season some people can be lucky if they're in PE & the cabin is oversold because even an NB in PE will get an op-up to J before a WP in whY does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ronborland