Predictions of when international flights may resume/bans lifted

ayushamity

Just got an update from CX as follows:

Following the Government’s announcement that fully vaccinated Australian citizens, permanent residents and their immediate family will be able to fly to Sydney quarantine-free, we are pleased to announce we will be offering increased capacity on our flights to/from Sydney with 10 flights a week from 1 November 2021.

Spoke to CX about the unvaccinated issue as they specifically said call and do not book online. So they have been advised by the government that unvaccinated passengers can book flights in November on any airline but depending on how early they booked, they will notify each airline to cancel passenger ticket few days prior to their flight.

I would have thought a ticket system would have been better but maybe they haven't got the time to set one up in 10 days.

dajop

Enthusiast
Solutions
One of our contributors, @yohy?! was taken to task for criticising NSW, with the person responding pointing out the politics isn't supposed to be discussed. Got to laugh, we're already back onto politics again. Please stop. Or is it OK to criticise Dan and Qld but not Dom?

DC3

Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
One of our contributors, @yohy?! was taken to task for criticising NSW, with the person responding pointing out the politics isn't supposed to be discussed. Got to laugh, we're already back onto politics again. Please stop. Or is it OK to criticise Dan and Qld but not Dom?
Pretty much the deep-seated political views held by the same AFFers pushing the boundaries.

OATEK

Established Member
I have already written about the need to stop the blame game - and that goes for those on both sides in this case. Whatever the various premiers have and will get wrong, I don't believe any of them have set out to cause harm as the post proposed. The whole reason we can now pinpoint the day that the border is opening and international flights are to resume is because a Premier has made at tough but I think (others will disagree) a fair call based on the circumstances. The genie is out of the bottle and the risk assessment is that they are not letting it rip, because of incredibly high vaccination levels. the only way borders open is if we then trust the vaccines. YMMV

andye

Established Member
Solutions
Virgin
Platinum
EK and EY have released some reasonably-priced Y seats
I think QR is due to open some more as the current ones are very dear

We've Increased Our Flying to 30 Destinations Across Australia. Book With Us Today. Change Your Flight, Fee-Free and As Often As You Like for Travel up to 30 Apr 22*. Contactless Check-in. Special Safety Protocols. New Cleaning Practices. Online Check-in.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

ayushamity

Etihad opening from Nov 1.

Sydney will open without quarantine for Australians and permanent residents from 1 November. More seats have been made available by the Australian authorities for flights between Abu Dhabi and Sydney.

• Vaccinated Australians and permanent residents will not be subject to mandatory quarantine when arriving in Sydney.
  • Bookings are open via all channels for travel from 1 November.
  • Please check etihad.com/book for availability and to book tickets.
If you are not vaccinated with full dose(s) of an approved vaccine:

• You will need to email us to book your flight, as there is a limited number of seats per flight for unvaccinated guests, in line with the government guidelines.
  • Please email [email protected] to book.

levelnine

If VIC is planning to reopen early November then why only start the home quarantine trial on 27 October?
As mentioned above, I think the answer is NSW. Victoria were planning an orderly reopening some time in late November/early December that got shattered by NSW's surprise decision to fling open the doors with no quarantine.

Yes, NSW is ahead of Victoria in terms of vaccinations, but only by about 2 weeks — Victoria hits 70% today; NSW hit it 15 days ago. So perhaps a mid-November opening?

At the very least, I expect we will get some clarity before 1 November because Victoria needs to tell people if it is possible to fly internationally into SYD & hop on a domestic flight to MEL without quarantine. In clarifying that issue, it would make sense to also announce their own border policy.

arrow

This is a thread that relates to the resumption of international travel and the NSW premier has made the biggest step to making it an accessible reality for us hence we’re naturally pleased. It’s not political. And equally it’s not political to note that some premiers (like a certain individual in WA) have proved the biggest stumbling block to travel such that Qantas had reroute an international flight via Darwin to make SYD-LHR a reality

mviy

Established Member
At the very least, I expect we will get some clarity before 1 November because Victoria needs to tell people if it is possible to fly internationally into SYD & hop on a domestic flight to MEL without quarantine. In clarifying that issue, it would make sense to also announce their own border policy.
Dan Andrews has a history of announcing just enough to get you to tune into his next announcement to learn more.

I hope I’m wrong, but I expect MEL’s reopening for international travel to be much closer to the end of November than the beginning or even December 1.

dajop

Enthusiast
Solutions
This is a thread that relates to the resumption of international travel and the NSW premier has made the biggest step to making it an accessible reality for us hence we’re naturally pleased. It’s not political. And equally it’s not political to note that some premiers (like a certain individual in WA) have proved the biggest stumbling block to travel such that Qantas had reroute an international flight via Darwin to make SYD-LHR a reality

It is political when it is repeated ad naseum. We know we know know WA premiers views, Dan’s views etc. When snide remarks are made again and again about this it adds no value whatsoever and just make people look like they’re pushing political views like the comments section in SMH/The Age.

I come to this thread to hear about developments in international travel. Not to see constant slagging off at state premiers.

OATEK

Established Member
It is political when it is repeated ad naseum. We know we know know WA premiers views, Dan’s views etc. When snide remarks are made again and again about this it adds no value whatsoever and just make people look like they’re pushing political views like the comments section in SMH/The Age.

I come to this thread to hear about developments in international travel. Not to see constant slagging off at state premiers.
I think we are in furious agreement, except for when you defended someone for saying Dom was letting it rip and not listening to the health workers.

I have a lot of concerns about travelling to the UK early next year given their winter infections likely peaking just before we get there. It's a risk I am prepared to take to be with loved ones, and I am very grateful to the NSW Premiers for their role in making that possible.

DC3

Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
To be fair, the slagging is due to the lack of developments in international travel.
Sure, there’s been a huge issue regarding international travel for many of us.

However, the slagging is mostly from those who won’t put aside their political views about certain State leaderships. Their posts are full of it.

jakeseven7

Solutions
I wonder if any other airlines apart from NZ and QF servicing Aus international flights will have a vaccine mandate for passengers?

I see from the above announcement Etihad will be carrying unvaccinated passengers.

dajop

Enthusiast
Solutions
I wonder if any other airlines apart from NZ and QF servicing Aus international flights will have a vaccine mandate for passengers?

I see from the above announcement Etihad will be carrying unvaccinated passengers.

There have been discussions and I'm hopeful that there will be "Vaccinated Travel Lane" flights that will be vaccinated travellers only from Australia to SIN, that might allow us to travel back to Singapore without having to do 7 days home quarantine, and allow Australians to visit Singapore as well. But that won't happen until the Australian government reciprocates and allows non-Australian Singapore residents to visit Australia.

If this happens SQ will have some flights that have a vaccine mandate and some that don't, like they do with flights to LHR, US etc. But not necessarily inbound to Australia unless .gov.au requires it.

Happy Dude

Established Member
Solutions
Going by the info in this article, it's way too much hassle and confusing for me to consider OS travel with the family for a while. It's the testing prior to a flight, and the higher risk of contracting Covid whilst OS, that I see as the biggest concerns.

We'll see many a story about stranded underinsured travellers who can't afford the additional accommodation/expenses or who were fired for not showing up to work.