Predictions of when international flights may resume/bans lifted

mviy

Established Member
Whilst not as soon as what I’d like (I think we should be travelling sooner) and would prefer even shorter than 7 days quarantine on return, overall I like what the NSW Deputy Premier had to say this morning on international travel (link set to start the video at the appropriate point):

mbell1510

International travel mentioned in the roadmap for December 1:
"Quarantine settings for vaccinated arrivals will be altered. A cap on unvaccinated travelers may remain".

There were no points mentioned about international travel that I can see in the roadmap released today for 80%. So not sure if hotel quarantine will be in place until December 1. Gladys seemed to hint that international travel was up to the Federal Government to allow.

Update:
Once NSW hits 80% double dosed caps will return to what they were prior to Delta. So about 3000 odd a week. The premier mentioned that she be happy talk to the prime minister about increasing the caps further. "If we have fully vaccinated Australians coming home, there is no reason why we need to have caps at all".

Seems like the goal posts are shifting again with international.

Last edited:

antycbr

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum

"Quarantine settings for vaccinated arrivals will be altered. A cap on unvaccinated travelers may remain".

There were no points mentioned about international travel that I can see in the roadmap released today for 80%. So not sure if hotel quarantine will be in place until December 1. Gladys seemed to hint that international travel was up to the Federal Government to allow.

Update:
Once NSW hits 80% double dosed caps will return to what they were prior to Delta. So about 3000 odd a week. The premier mentioned that she be happy talk to the prime minister about increasing the caps further. "If we have fully vaccinated Australians coming home, there is no reason why we need to have caps at all".

I think that we would be in the situation where we are then waiting for the national average part of the Doherty plan to occur then which is why it will be held at that point while that occurs.

OATEK

Established Member
The NSW Premier made a very strong statement about wanting international travel happening by December, and that she has been discussing this with the PM in order for SYD to resume its role as the gateway to AU.

antycbr

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
The NSW Premier made a very strong statement about wanting international travel happening by December, and that she has been discussing this with the PM in order for SYD to resume its role as the gateway to AU.
Well at least the gateway to the parts of the country that show interest in going places outside their state.

focusedbear

Virgin
Gold
Hot off the press...don't think anyone should be surprised about Perth

ayushamity

What is the current cap for Sydney international arrivals. 756 per week as per the below ?

Going back up to 3,500/week is a massive increase. It means many more people can come from overseas and less cancelled flights.

justinbrett

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
No mention of Jetstar opening to international travel - especially SYD-HNL which is desperately needed (fares are sky high over Christmas on both QF and Hawaiian). Not that I want to fly JQ but would like them to bring the fares down!

mviy

Established Member
No mention of Jetstar opening to international travel - especially SYD-HNL which is desperately needed (fares are sky high over Christmas on both QF and Hawaiian). Not that I want to fly JQ but would like them to bring the fares down!
Jetstar caters to the budget travellers. I think PCR tests increasing the cost and the hassle of home quarantine could deter some of those. QF may consider QF flights enough. Also QF would want to be bringing back JQ flights for more than just a few weeks so they'd need to have some confidence of sustaining sufficient demand over an extended period.

ayushamity

Update:

I thought NSW was trialing home quarantine in October so that they could start in November once the national average hits 80%.

Now it looks like home quarantine will only start from Dec 1 so much later than the 80% national average.

Also I thought caps were supposed to be abolished after 80% but they still have 3,500/week cap into Sydney.

I didn't expect Gladys to be the type to walk back.

antycbr

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
I thought NSW was trialing home quarantine in October so that they could start in November once the national average hits 80%.

Now it looks like home quarantine will only start from Dec 1 so much later than the 80% national average.

Also I thought caps were supposed to be abolished after 80% but they still have 3,500/week cap into Sydney.

I didn't expect Gladys to be the type to walk back.
You need to consider Doherty plan in this. NSW is doing Phase B, not Phase C. Once we get to 80 percent nationally then NSW will move to phase C which is those things you’re talking about. NSW will be held up by the national average issue.

Jousams

Virgin
Gold
You need to consider Doherty plan in this. NSW is doing Phase B, not Phase C. Once we get to 80 percent nationally then NSW will move to phase C which is those things you’re talking about. NSW will be held up by the national average issue.
That’s a good point, national plan B&C require national average to be at 70 & 80% DD respectively. 80% NSW dd will probably align to 70% DD average nationally (I.e the phase B trigger)

Nathant123

Personally I don’t agree with having to quarantine for any length of time if I’m fully vaccinated, even if it is at home. What I’m curious about is how home quarantine would work if I were to return to a home that others are living in. Are they all expected to quarantine, just the return traveller, or perhaps I’d have to pay for hotel quarantine as I can’t control what others in the household do?

OATEK

Established Member
Hot off the press...don't think anyone should be surprised about Perth

It is already showing up in EF. If you search SYD-LHR for next March (when I am hoping to travel) the first three options you get are QF1 (via SIN) with seats available, QF647/QF9 (via PER) with all fare classes 0 for both flights, and QF446/QF9 (via MEL) with seats available for both flights.

Get paid up to 25% in real cash from your everyday purchases from leading companies such as Virgin Australia, Booking.com, Coles, Apple, Microsoft and much more. Free to join and no catches!

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

jakeseven7

Solutions
What is the current cap for Sydney international arrivals. 756 per week as per the below ?

Going back up to 3,500/week is a massive increase. It means many more people can come from overseas and less cancelled flights.

Sure by percentages but in the grand scheme of things 3500 is absolutely nothing really.... sigh.

justinbrett

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
I don't think the states can really announce anything more until the federal government commit to a specific plan with dates.

We might get it this Friday at national cabinet.