Points with Citibank

Status
Not open for further replies.

dein_gesicht

I'm wondering do points accrue at the card or the account level? Can I transfer points from one card to another? For example, with my Citibusiness Gold, can I also get a Signature/Select and transfer those points to my CitiBusiness Gold and redeem for QFF points?

I'm wondering do points accrue at the card or the account level? Can I transfer points from one card to another? For example, with my Citibusiness Gold, can I also get a Signature/Select and transfer those points to my CitiBusiness Gold and redeem for QFF points?

I was wondering about this, it'd be great to know, cos the Select has such a great international earn rate.

Yes the points are in separate accounts. Rather than trying to merge the points we found it better to run two different cards where one is QF designated and transfers monthly and the other earns Citi Rewards and you transfer them in blocks of 15k which in my case earn SQ Kris points of 10k per block (an effective 1.333 points per dollar spent) when you need them.
On Select/Signature cards the fee can be 3.3% to earn 5 Citi Rewards points so that fee is really a net cent per point to SQ.
The barrier to entry to Select/Signature is a $120 k taxable income on a tax assessment.

Yes the points are in separate accounts. Rather than trying to merge the points we found it better to run two different cards where one is QF designated and transfers monthly and the other earns Citi Rewards and you transfer them in blocks of 15k which in my case earn SQ Kris points of 10k per block (an effective 1.333 points per dollar spent) when you need them.
On Select/Signature cards the fee can be 3.3% to earn 5 Citi Rewards points so that fee is really a net cent per point to SQ.
The barrier to entry to Select/Signature is a $120 k taxable income on a tax assessment.

I'm not too worried about the $120K barrier, more so with the earn rate on the Select/Signature if I opt in the QFF program. The rate is $1 = 1 QFF point, plus at annual charge of $49...same earn rate as the Woolworths card!

I'm not too worried about the $120K barrier, more so with the earn rate on the Select/Signature if I opt in the QFF program. The rate is $1 = 1 QFF point, plus at annual charge of $49...same earn rate as the Woolworths card!

I find the Select card reasonable value, but you need to earn a lot of points to make it worth the $749 annual fee/s.
Woolworths card credit limit just isn't high enough for me to enjoy life.

True, but won't you get the sign on bonus of 80k points so it would be worth it at least for the first year?

Were those points Citi Rewards or Qantas designated points?
We are using Citi cards big time at the moment as they have got the goods when it comes to points earning that is uncapped.
Their call centre is annoying and we had a long call this week with them that ended up ok but what should have taken 5 minutes took about 8 times longer to get to YES.

Last edited:
i have been able to move citibusiness point to select card with no problem

Why move points from Citibusiness to Select (all airline partners are the same, except that Citibusiness can transfer to QFF without locking in)?

Woolies card "isn't high enough"? There is no prestige with credit cards ;)

Why move points from Citibusiness to Select (all airline partners are the same, except that Citibusiness can transfer to QFF without locking in)?

Woolies card "isn't high enough"? There is no prestige with credit cards ;)

Only Select can transfer to Asia Miles, which is better value (for your points) than Qantas (even on Qantas routes)

Spentan that is a really good point you have made regarding Asia Miles.
We have many points warehoused in Citi Rewards and we have only ever used SQ Kris as the availability has been wonderful.
Does Cathay have availability in the front of their planes for points redeemers??

Spentan that is a really good point you have made regarding Asia Miles.
We have many points warehoused in Citi Rewards and we have only ever used SQ Kris as the availability has been wonderful.
Does Cathay have availability in the front of their planes for points redeemers??

If you have points warehoused in Citi Rewards, then using their Price Match Guarantee + Take Flight for Qantas/similar flights works really really well.

Basically what you do is screenshot a Qantas Classic Award, and then Citibank matches the amount of points (deducted from your Citirewards account) and taxes deducted from your Citibank Credit Card.

I've done it a few times, getting me Points/SCs (like an ASA) but for Classic Award Pricing.

I have never redeemed for points on Cathay, or Qantas through Cathay, I have just calculated the number of points available and this is where it is significantly cheaper than qantas.

That being said, I only have a CB Gold, and am close but not making over the $120k Income Requirement. So I don't have a Select (yet) :p

Spentan thanks for your response on Citibank and their price match.
We wasted about three quarters of an hour talking to Citi this week so I won't rush to call them until we get back from the Olympics.
All good now but Mrscove is not impressed with Citi even though the final results have been brilliant.

Spentan thanks for your response on Citibank and their price match.
We wasted about three quarters of an hour talking to Citi this week so I won't rush to call them until we get back from the Olympics.
All good now but Mrscove is not impressed with Citi even though the final results have been brilliant.

The Price Match Guarantee is done by Pinpoint Travel, its not actually citibank. all you have to do is outline all the information including the screenshot and send it to [email protected] with your name and phone number and they'll call you back to organise it all.

(since they dont have authority to deduct from your citirewards account, they will charge your CC at $0.01 per point, and then Citibank will deduct that amount from Citirewards and then credit your CC again).

Its really easy. There is no guarantee that they will send you Qantas but this isn't too bad sometimes, you may get a better service out of it (SQ J or other)

Thanks for the update Spentan.
I have 3 long hauls booked out to Feb including a mixed SQ,BA and QF RTW so we can see who has a great product.

Do you mean you spent three quarters of an hour discussing a price match, or was it something else.

My experience of the price match, is that they ring you, make an offer to you, and you accept or decline it.

No we had an "identify yourself" issue that became quite painful when we received a credit limit increase offer on one of our Citi cards.
Got offered some points as compensation for that long call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back