Plat Amex No Longer Invite Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
it looks like the american express platinum card is no longer invitation only here in australia. from their new website it appears that anyone who meets their requirements (mainly earn over 100k per year) can now apply. here is the link: https://www.iplatinum.americanexpress.com/prospect/australia/FrontServlet?request_type=ApplyForCard

does anyone know if this means they have put concrete requirements for what they require, spending wise, for a centurion card (rather than their previous "it depends upon a number of factors" answer)?

You are right, this is not a good thing... I prefer the invite only status as now any old Joe can join.

I think the pretensions of exclusitivity went out the door when the invited me to get one.

Would the companion fare make it a good reason for taking up the offer, i ask this as i am doing an around the world first class late this year for two people. If there were some good savings to be had then it might be worth it, anybody have any info on the level of discounts that you can get.....cheers:p

turtle said:
Would the companion fare make it a good reason for taking up the offer, i ask this as i am doing an around the world first class late this year for two people. If there were some good savings to be had then it might be worth it, anybody have any info on the level of discounts that you can get.....cheers:p
My understanding is that the companion fare is only available on certain full-fair paid tickets and not on products like ATW fares.

Amex User said:
You are right, this is not a good thing... I prefer the invite only status as now any old Joe can join.

Not any old Joe earns >100K P.A.;)

oz_mark said:
I think the pretensions of exclusitivity went out the door when the invited me to get one.
I got an invite as well. Can't be that exclusive. ;)

Got my invite today... I must have reached their 'length of holding an Amex Card // spending threshold" recently, or they are starting to get desperate for new Plat holders.

Can't see anything special about it at all - except that I'd get my Plat Amex Credit Card free when I signed up.

Like what has been previously discussed in this thread, I don't see it as anything close to exclusive or special...

Mal said:
Got my invite today... I must have reached their 'length of holding an Amex Card // spending threshold" recently, or they are starting to get desperate for new Plat holders.

Can't see anything special about it at all - except that I'd get my Plat Amex Credit Card free when I signed up.

Like what has been previously discussed in this thread, I don't see it as anything close to exclusive or special...

Im curios and have a couple of questions:

1) Is this for an offer for the AMEX Platinum Charge Card or Credit Card?
2) What other AMEX card (s) are you currently carrying at the moment?

Im racking up a spend of over $120k pa on my Qantas American Express card and have been offered nothing - Except their coughpy insurance products.

Nutcase said:
Im curios and have a couple of questions:

1) Is this for an offer for the AMEX Platinum Charge Card or Credit Card?
2) What other AMEX card (s) are you currently carrying at the moment?

Im racking up a spend of over $120k pa on my Qantas American Express card and have been offered nothing - Except their coughpy insurance products.

It was an offer for the Platinum Charge Card.

Already have a Plat Amex Credit Card and a Qantas Premium Credit card. Allegedly I also have a Gold Credit Card (Fee Free) in their system, but I supposedly swapped that for the Plat Amex Credit Card when I applied.

CC spend per year on Amex isn't that much. Perhaps $30K at the most? I'm also an Amex Cardholder since 2003, and have had no defaults, over Credit Limits or anything like that with Amex.

Their coughpy insurance stuff annoys me too. I wish I could get removed from their lists for that, but not the good things they offer like bonus point offers or promos!

Previously I've been offered Gold Business Charge Cards a few times, and I think a Gold Charge card, but can't remember now.

If you really want one, why not phone and ask if they'll offer one to you? You seem to have a good record with them.

Thanks for the prompt reply - much appreciated.

I also have (allegedly) a gold charge card on their system too which I swapped for my Qantas card. This has afforded me some luxuries like a substantially reduced fee on the Qantas ultimate card and a reduced APR.

I have no idea how they offer their invitations these days. It surprises me what they do in as much as the small annual fee they charge me, and No interest means that they can t be making as much out of me as they could.

Over the years I have had offers of Gold business cards, and Platinum Charge Card once - I think - and not much else.

My Amercian Express Platinum Credit Card expires in May 08, and as the only benefit I receive for the $390 annual cost is a return domestic flight between SYD-BNE/ADL/MEL I think I can get one of those for less than $200 which is the extra cost from a rewards maximiser to Plat Credit card. There was talk that they had removed the Rewards Maximiser, but found it at Rewards Maximiser Gold Credit Card - American Express Australia
Essentially, it has the same benefits for me, 1:1 points per dollar without the free domestic flight.

Im not surprised that they would drop the invite only aspect. I would suspect that they would like to have any creditworthy person mad enough to spend $900 annual ego stroking fee for a charge card

Dave

Maca44 said:
My Amercian Express Platinum Credit Card expires in May 08, and as the only benefit I receive for the $390 annual cost is a return domestic flight between SYD-BNE/ADL/MEL I think I can get one of those for less than $200 which is the extra cost from a rewards maximiser to Plat Credit card. There was talk that they had removed the Rewards Maximiser, but found it at Rewards Maximiser Gold Credit Card - American Express Australia
Essentially, it has the same benefits for me, 1:1 points per dollar without the free domestic flight.

For the maximiser that is:

$1 spent = 1.5 rewards points = 1.5 frequent flyer points*

Dave Noble said:
Im not surprised that they would drop the invite only aspect. I would suspect that they would like to have any creditworthy person

Like me, who gets an invite to get platinum charge card every 6 months, even when my tax return makes a pensioner's tax return look rich.

mad enough to spend $900 annual ego stroking fee for a charge card

Yeah, $900, I would rather spend $900 to be stroke by (censored)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back