Plat Amex No Longer Invite Only

Discussion in 'American Express Rewards' started by alemdohorizonte, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. alemdohorizonte

Jan 18, 2007
    SYD
    it looks like the american express platinum card is no longer invitation only here in australia. from their new website it appears that anyone who meets their requirements (mainly earn over 100k per year) can now apply. here is the link: https://www.iplatinum.americanexpress.com/prospect/australia/FrontServlet?request_type=ApplyForCard

does anyone know if this means they have put concrete requirements for what they require, spending wise, for a centurion card (rather than their previous "it depends upon a number of factors" answer)?

2. Amex User

Amex User Newbie

Mar 2, 2007
    You are right, this is not a good thing... I prefer the invite only status as now any old Joe can join.

3. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I think the pretensions of exclusitivity went out the door when the invited me to get one.

4. turtle

turtle Junior Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Would the companion fare make it a good reason for taking up the offer, i ask this as i am doing an around the world first class late this year for two people. If there were some good savings to be had then it might be worth it, anybody have any info on the level of discounts that you can get.....cheers:p

5. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    My understanding is that the companion fare is only available on certain full-fair paid tickets and not on products like ATW fares.

6. kpc

kpc Senior Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Sydney
    Not any old Joe earns >100K P.A.;)

7. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I got an invite as well. Can't be that exclusive. ;)

8. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Got my invite today... I must have reached their 'length of holding an Amex Card // spending threshold" recently, or they are starting to get desperate for new Plat holders.

Can't see anything special about it at all - except that I'd get my Plat Amex Credit Card free when I signed up.

Like what has been previously discussed in this thread, I don't see it as anything close to exclusive or special...

9. Nutcase

Nutcase Active Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Im curios and have a couple of questions:

1) Is this for an offer for the AMEX Platinum Charge Card or Credit Card?
    2) What other AMEX card (s) are you currently carrying at the moment?

Im racking up a spend of over $120k pa on my Qantas American Express card and have been offered nothing - Except their crappy insurance products.

10. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    It was an offer for the Platinum Charge Card.

Already have a Plat Amex Credit Card and a Qantas Premium Credit card. Allegedly I also have a Gold Credit Card (Fee Free) in their system, but I supposedly swapped that for the Plat Amex Credit Card when I applied.

CC spend per year on Amex isn't that much. Perhaps $30K at the most? I'm also an Amex Cardholder since 2003, and have had no defaults, over Credit Limits or anything like that with Amex.

Their crappy insurance stuff annoys me too. I wish I could get removed from their lists for that, but not the good things they offer like bonus point offers or promos!

Previously I've been offered Gold Business Charge Cards a few times, and I think a Gold Charge card, but can't remember now.

If you really want one, why not phone and ask if they'll offer one to you? You seem to have a good record with them.

11. Nutcase

Nutcase Active Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Thanks for the prompt reply - much appreciated.

I also have (allegedly) a gold charge card on their system too which I swapped for my Qantas card. This has afforded me some luxuries like a substantially reduced fee on the Qantas ultimate card and a reduced APR.

I have no idea how they offer their invitations these days. It surprises me what they do in as much as the small annual fee they charge me, and No interest means that they can t be making as much out of me as they could.

Over the years I have had offers of Gold business cards, and Platinum Charge Card once - I think - and not much else.

12. Maca44

Maca44 Established Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Sydney
    My Amercian Express Platinum Credit Card expires in May 08, and as the only benefit I receive for the $390 annual cost is a return domestic flight between SYD-BNE/ADL/MEL I think I can get one of those for less than $200 which is the extra cost from a rewards maximiser to Plat Credit card. There was talk that they had removed the Rewards Maximiser, but found it at Rewards Maximiser Gold Credit Card - American Express Australia
    Essentially, it has the same benefits for me, 1:1 points per dollar without the free domestic flight.

13. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Im not surprised that they would drop the invite only aspect. I would suspect that they would like to have any creditworthy person mad enough to spend $900 annual ego stroking fee for a charge card

Dave

14. lovetravellingoz

lovetravellingoz Senior Member

Jul 13, 2006
    MEL
    For the maximiser that is:

$1 spent = 1.5 rewards points = 1.5 frequent flyer points*

15. Chicken

Chicken Active Member

May 9, 2006
    Sydney
    Like me, who gets an invite to get platinum charge card every 6 months, even when my tax return makes a pensioner's tax return look rich.

Yeah, $900, I would rather spend $900 to be stroke by (censored)