Pilots warn on Jetstar risk

Discussion in 'Jetstar' started by Yada Yada, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    The Qantas pilots are sounding a little desperate.

2. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    I dunno. It could be that , or they could have genuine concerns. As it goes on to say, the 180 rating hasn't been given to any other operator straight out, but over time as experience increases.

Dave

3. bravoecho1

bravoecho1 Member

Sep 10, 2004
    OOL
    Having seen what CX went through to get their ETOPS approval when they first bought the "bus", I would have to agree with the second half of Dave's comment.

4. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    At appears that a 180 ETOPS certification is not as 'straight out' as the Pilots are inferring. It's more of a step up from an existing 2 hour certification:

5. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    It's an interesting point. I guess JQ is looking to leverage the status of its parent to some extent but perhaps it won't necessarily count in this situation.

6. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    However, JQ has no current or proven historic experience with maintaining or operating A330 aircraft. The pilots who are part of the 2-hour ETOPS certification for the Trans-Tasman operations are not the same ones to be flying the SYD-HNL missions using A330 aircraft.

I would expect that if Jetstar International wants to be identified as an airline in its own right, then it should be expected to earn any ETOPS rating the same way any other airline has to. If using QF maintenance services, then that part of the requirements should be simple. If using existing QF pilots then it should also make it simple. If they are employing new pilots with new management and training processes, then they need to assessed just as any other airline needs to be.

7. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Thar bee th' rub!

Current QF pilots do not want to work for JQ! (or this thread would be redundant!)

8. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    But I am sure JQ would be very pleased to employ them .... for up to $100,000 less per year :rolleyes:.

9. Commuter

Commuter Active Member

Jun 14, 2006
    I believe there may well be at least some (if not many) pilots with quite an extensive ETOPS experience on A330s flying for JQ in due course - and they're not from QF.