(OT a bit) No more HP's in BNE domestic QP!

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by Mal, Sep 5, 2006.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Currently in the BNE domestic lounge waiting for my flight.

Go to the bar and ask for a HP... "Sorry, it's been replaced with Heineken"!

(HP lights are still available, as are Crown Lagers and a couple of other beers).

Hmmmm. Wonder if it's a temporary change or permanent!

2. Shano

Shano Established Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Has been the same beer status on my last few visits to the BNE QP over the past couple of weeks.

It may be the result of the voracious HP appetite of many of the AFF members... :D

3. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Speaking of liquid refreshments, the Air NZ domestic lounges have got the seasonal special beers back again :D Unfortunately there is too many to sample in a single visit. Fortunately I have more visits coming up.

4. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    Phew - I have a passionate loathing for HP :p At least when I am in BNE next I wont have to worry :)

I remember my first overseas trip from Oz (on Air NZ business class) that I was quite excited when I got to the lounge and found Budweiser in the fridge. I had been in Oz for 18 months and hadnt had my favourite tipple from the UK as it either wasnt available or horrendously expensive - shame it was 10AM and I could only force down a couple ;)

5. Standby

Standby Active Member

May 25, 2006
    I'm a HP fan..but they lost me by doing the "botte shrink" from 375mls
    to the Euro size ...Boags and Cascade now pick up my Freq drinking points
    cast aside all non regulation sized bottles..we will sit with less leg room but take away our beer...never

6. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Surely this is a wind-up. I am reading "don't feed the tolls" between the lines here :mrgreen: . A preference for Bugweiser over Hahn Premium is not something I ever expected to see on AFF :shock: . Oh well, each to their own :rolleyes: .

7. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    At least Crown Lagers are still available!

8. jakeseven7

jakeseven7 Active Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Best news ever! HATE HP. Love Heinees!!!

9. Groundfeeder

Groundfeeder Active Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Brisbane
    I quite favour the boutique beers over the local factory products, but tend to drink wine in the QP (no beer breath over FA's and pax). With wine you've got no idea whether your breath smells or not!!!!

The wine choices change on a monthly basis so I've been able to cancel my Wine Club membership and sample a wide variety a lot cheaper before I buy.

THEN you get freebies on the plane as well!!:mrgreen:

10. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    Not being australian I might have a reason for not preferring HP ;) HP as also the preferred beer at my last employer and it made our monthly drinks quite unpleasant :p

11. ksthommo

ksthommo Active Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Cairns
    Usually in the QP on a Monday arvo, dont have a beer then, only a couple of reds before the flight
    to Cairns. Love Hahn Premium, haven't had the chance to sample any lately.
    Stick to the 30 can slab of XXXX Gold when I'm home.

Will miss the Hahn Premium though when I do get a chance to have a couple of beers at the pub.

12. Heineken's not a bad drop:!: I try to avoid too much beer before a flight and prefer to get into the red a little - although on a hot summer day a nice brew is OK. Sometimes I don't mind a crownie, but being a beer of low effervescence, these should be drunk from the stubbie - not from a glass. The only QP I've been in that lets you do this is CBR. At othres I've been told by the staff that it is not policy.

13. I thought that Bud is what you drink when ditch water isn't available. Bud in the LOTFAP is what turned me towards Heinie. I reckon that Bud is worse that VB.

14. I'll leave the try line (or Goal Posts) wide open and say that at home, I don't mind the taste of a Pure Blonde.

15. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    Havent had much Bud in the US - mostly brewed and drunk in UK. Its all about personal choice - HP smells like sour p*** to me :)

16. Shano

Shano Established Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Isn't Budweiser the subject of a particular joke concerning s*x in a canoe.....they're both [expletive deleted] close to water...:D

17. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Can't see that it's much of a loss really :!:

18. garyjohn951

garyjohn951 Active Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Melbourne
    Isn't bud p*** anyway.
    If we have to drink US beer give me a samuel any day

19. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I have found that avoiding the USA major domestic beers (Bud, Coors, Miller), you can find quite a few very good beers there now. I am quite partial to Siera Nevda IPA, Anchor Steam Amber, Sam Adams Summer Ale, Fat Tyre, and even Shiner Bock is not bad when in Texas.

20. Good idea, NM I found the Anchor Steam a good drop. Recently in Hawaii, I found Kona Longboard pretty good too, even if there weren't many bubbles in the draught variety