Not eligible for Black card

Status
Not open for further replies.

beni050385

Hi guys,

I have received the letter stating about the points capping and rang Westpac and was told I wasn't eligible for the black card. Due to circumstances changing I will be using the card a quite substantial amount more, I somehow don't think Westpac will care though.

What I am struggling to understand is that with the points capping and "reduced" services for the same $295 that was paid last year is there anything else we can do?

Any people successfully got the black card after challenging Westpac?

Small win, after phoning Westpac today to let them know my disappointment about the points capping I got a lovely lady on the other end of the line who has "opted me in to the black card transition" she mentioned the next assignment for Platinum Plus to Black Card was occurring mid July so fingers crossed its all smooth sailing from here

If it makes you feel any better, the only credit card I've ever been declined for (out of more than 20) is a Westpac one :)

Hi guys,

I have received the letter stating about the points capping and rang Westpac and was told I wasn't eligible for the black card. Due to circumstances changing I will be using the card a quite substantial amount more, I somehow don't think Westpac will care though.

What I am struggling to understand is that with the points capping and "reduced" services for the same $295 that was paid last year is there anything else we can do?

Any people successfully got the black card after challenging Westpac?

well, you can always take your business elsewhere!

I was knocked back for Bankwest via the online form (!) Got the Westpac Black - also an online application (and I've previously held Centurion)

I never bothered to follow up by phone.

Being knocked back by the banks is a badge of honour. The banks will continue to use their inept, limited financial models made worse by focusing purely on current income making life tough for the domestic and unbearable for the small business market. Yet they have to continually set aside billions each year for their corporate loan failures entered into by their gun high flyers.
Glad I rarely need them other than to rake in the FF points.

Westpac are a joke. I honestly cannot comprehend how one company can hire so many incompetent people.

The entire Black card debacle has been laughable. I've had different stories from different people and not one of them seems to be accurate. Ended up taking my complaint to the FOS in order to get it resolved (even then Westpac managed to stuff it up). We'll wait and see what happens.

Very glad I moved the majority of my business away from them

Working in customer service it amazes me how many customers have the Westpac Black cards - and this is in western Sydney!

Working in customer service it amazes me how many customers have the Westpac Black cards - and this is in western Sydney!

Possibly not mortgaged up to the hilt & debt free comparative to 'other areas" of Sydney with often & much higher & disposable income levels.. contrary to popular perceptions about Western Sydney.
Just a thought..

Westpac customer service by any chance? Is the information given about being "opt in occuring mid July" correct?

LOL no just making the observation that for a supposed 'black' card they seem to be giving them out to every man & his dog

fyi: everyone who meets the minimum credit limit (20k?) can get one. If you don't have that limit, increase it on the gold/plat card and then transfer to black.

there is no other criteria for the card.

fyi: everyone who meets the minimum credit limit (20k?) can get one. If you don't have that limit, increase it on the gold/plat card and then transfer to black.

there is no other criteria for the card.

I think it is 18K

Confirmed - as part of rearranging my CC arrangements I applied to change my (basic, old, rarely used) Altitude cards to Altitude Black - got a message saying the application was being assessed, then the day after it was declined.

So today (same day I got the decline response), I increased my credit limit above $18k, which was approved online within minutes, and then applied for Altitude Black again, and it was approved instantly. Even as a long-term Westpac customer I'm kind of astounded at their incompetence here, after all I was trying to be up-sold!

Last edited:
Confirmed - as part of rearranging my CC arrangements I applied to change my (basic, old, rarely used) Altitude cards to Altitude Black - got a message saying the application was being assessed, then the day after it was declined.

So today (same day I got the decline response), I increased my credit limit above $18k, which was approved online within minutes, and then applied for Altitude Black again, and it was approved instantly. Even as a long-term Westpac customer I'm kind of astounded at their incompetence here, after all I was trying to be up-sold here!

Yes, the service leaves a bit to be desired.
I requested a Black Card, Acct Manager said nothing about credit limits.
Then i received a rejection letter in the mail, with no reason listed.
I had to ring the Acct Manager to find out why i was rejected!

The card limit doesn't *have* to be above $18k if you have an existing CC with Westpac - a migration request can be manually approved in alteration of the advertised T&Cs. When I received mine, it included a copy of the standard info sheet, along with a different page with my product offer, stating that "your offer may differ to that of the standard product" (or something similar). Just depends on their mood IMO! ;)

The card limit doesn't *have* to be above $18k if you have an existing CC with Westpac - a migration request can be manually approved in alteration of the advertised T&Cs. When I received mine, it included a copy of the standard info sheet, along with a different page with my product offer, stating that "your offer may differ to that of the standard product" (or something similar). Just depends on their mood IMO! ;)

Thanks ChrisCh. I am actually looking thru the info i was given (& contrary to what the website says of $18k), my acct manager was suggesting i needed to get my limit to $12k+, and then switch. Did you manage it with a limit less than $12k?

Thanks ChrisCh. I am actually looking thru the info i was given (& contrary to what the website says of $18k), my acct manager was suggesting i needed to get my limit to $12k+, and then switch. Did you manage it with a limit less than $12k?

My limit was indeed >$12k, but <$18k at the time of the request. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back