No Spirits (in J) Masquerading as COVID? [Back from Apr 2022]

jpp42

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
They're support Ukraine by not serving little bottles of vodka

Apparently there's more vodka made in Ukraine and other non-Russia ex-Soviet countries (like the Baltic states), than Russia itself. So they could sell Ukranian or Latvian vokda...

MooTime

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
I asked about spirits on a QF domestic J flight yesterday. Still not available.
Tightwads, I guess when your dropping 1.3 Billion loss u don't want to give away much.

That other airline no issue on J flight having a spirit tipple.

Sponsored Post

This is an example of a Sponsored Post, one of the many ways you can advertise on the Australian Frequent Flyer.

Other options include banner advertisements on our content and forum pages or our newsletter. You can also purchase an audio message on our podcast - or if you just want to try it out, you can sponsor a thread.

If you'd prefer not to see any advertisements (including these sponsored posts), you can become an AFF Supporter from just $6 and instantly remove all advertisements from our website!

justinbrett

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Silver
Apparently there's more vodka made in Ukraine and other non-Russia ex-Soviet countries (like the Baltic states), than Russia itself. So they could sell Ukranian or Latvian vokda...

Russian produced vodka is very niche in Australia and pretty rare to see it widely available.

Even the brands you might think are Russian (Sminoff & Stolichnaya) are manufactured elsewhere - Smirnoff is made all over the world including here in Australia.

I was just reading that Russian vodka only makes up about 1% of US vodka imports.

Qantas certainly didn't offer it.

Ansett

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum 1
Virgin
Red
Sorry all I was going to ask tonight but I got distracted with other issues and opportunities, and dint get around to asking about this.

RichardMEL

I've had Wyborowa (Polish) in the air and I am almost certain at one point it was on QF.

one of the better vodkas imo - for a more mass market brand anyway.

I do tend to find that some amazing vodkas can be found in the oddest of places. On a trip to Poland, having Elderflower vodka as an welcome drink (home made) was something else, then some of that gold leaf with dinner was an experience for sure.

Closer to home, the Eastview Estate near Armidale makes this "Pure" vodka which is the most amazing thing I've ever had - coughs all over your grey gooses and the like. An amazing drop from a small local producer (who also do very good gin as I understand it).

Re Stoli and the like I will never forget a visit to Russia in 1996. A time of transition still. 1L bottles of Stoli could be had for $3 and that was cheaper than the bottled water. It may or may not have been produced there - I don't recall.

I can also say from personal experiene - Russian sparkling wine is... dreadful. Nyet. Just don't.

:D

Franky

Established Member
I've had Wyborowa (Polish) in the air and I am almost certain at one point it was on QF.

one of the better vodkas imo - for a more mass market brand anyway.

I do tend to find that some amazing vodkas can be found in the oddest of places. On a trip to Poland, having Elderflower vodka as an welcome drink (home made) was something else, then some of that gold leaf with dinner was an experience for sure.

Closer to home, the Eastview Estate near Armidale makes this "Pure" vodka which is the most amazing thing I've ever had - coughs all over your grey gooses and the like. An amazing drop from a small local producer (who also do very good gin as I understand it).

Re Stoli and the like I will never forget a visit to Russia in 1996. A time of transition still. 1L bottles of Stoli could be had for $3 and that was cheaper than the bottled water. It may or may not have been produced there - I don't recall.

I can also say from personal experiene - Russian sparkling wine is... dreadful. Nyet. Just don't.

:D
Agree - I had some with some prawns at a restaurant in St Petersburg, and suffered gout the next day for about a week...

Daver6

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
Told my the CSM today thay spirits are coming back "soon". Hopefully that's a different "soon" to the one you hear on hold to the call centre when they tell you they'll get to your call "soon".

Mattg

Enthusiast
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
Yes. Qantas's definitely of "soon" and "priority" are not ones you'd find in any reputable dictionary.

Qantas said last December that spirits would be returning "in the near future". Still waiting...

They also told me last May that the call centre issues would be fixed within months. We all know how that went.