No-fly zone spoils Google's big day out | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

No-fly zone spoils Google's big day out

Status
Not open for further replies.

serfty

Flights
My Map
No-fly zone spoils Google's big day out - BizTech - Technology - theage.com.au
Stephen Hutcheon
January 30, 2007

In cyberspace the Google mob may be masters of the universe, but when it comes to Sydney air space the internet heavyweight holds no sway.

Scores of Sydneysiders who took up Google's challenge to make a spectacle of themselves in an aerial photo shoot staged over the city on Australia Day are likely to be disappointed.

A plane chartered by Google to take the images never made it over some of the designated areas or arrived hours later than expected by which time, many of those who had been waiting below had moved on.

The high-resolution images were to be added in about four to six weeks' time to the popular online mapping service Google Maps

But the flight plan was hastily changed on Friday morning after Sydney air traffic control denied the twin-engine Aero Commander permission to fly over parks and beaches in inner Sydney and the east due to air safety concerns ...

Febs

Established Member
That's no good. :( Although at least now I don't feel so bad about missing out (I'd planned to get in one of the photos, but came down with terrible food poisoning and didn't get into the city til about 3pm).

I wonder if Microsoft's photo went ahead. From memory the plan was to shoot that one over a park too.

Cheers,
- Febs.

swissbignose

This should put to rest any thoughts anyone has that the U.S. intelligence services don't have the technology to read what is on the packet of cigarettes that one has in their hand.

simongr

Enthusiast
The image of the beach is amazing - if you just simply zoom in closer and clsoer you can see that someone has a brazilian flag beach towel...

Skyring

Established Member
Flights
My Map
simongr said:
The image of the beach is amazing - if you just simply zoom in closer and clsoer you can see that someone has a brazilian flag beach towel...
Yeah. I was looking for Brazilians as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lisa16_rose