NIB Travel Insurance Cancellation | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

NIB Travel Insurance Cancellation

Hi there,

Just cancelled my travel in July with Qantas and they refunded my points back. However I used points for my travel insurance and I called up NIB and they are providing misleading information on their web site as well as with their call centre. So initially they offered a 12 month re-use of travel policy, but here's the kicker, only from the date of purchase not on the date of commencement of policy. So to me this is useless since I purchased this in Sept of 2019. So I said, that this is not acceptable, I wish to cancel and get a refund, they said we can't and will need to send this request to management for consideration. They were also quoting the cooling off period which was 30 days from date of purchase, which was the cancellation period for a full refund. Is this legit?

Cheers,
Joe

Hi there,

Just cancelled my travel in July with Qantas and they refunded my points back. However I used points for my travel insurance and I called up NIB and they are providing misleading information on their web site as well as with their call centre. So initially they offered a 12 month re-use of travel policy, but here's the kicker, only from the date of purchase not on the date of commencement of policy. So to me this is useless since I purchased this in Sept of 2019. So I said, that this is not acceptable, I wish to cancel and get a refund, they said we can't and will need to send this request to management for consideration. They were also quoting the cooling off period which was 30 days from date of purchase, which was the cancellation period for a full refund. Is this legit?

Cheers,
Joe
I believe the 30 day cooling off period is legit - I could be wrong but I thought it was actually 14 days (but maybe insurance is 30).

Anyway - you still got use of your insurance from the time you purchased it. If anything had happened you would have been covered, and that's what it's there for.

See how you go when they escalate, you might be lucky for a refund, but ordinarily it's one of those things that you can't get a refund for if you don't need it.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan Coetzee