New ANZ Frequent Flyer Promotion - 16,000 QFF Points!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardoc

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
New promotion from ANZ:

Receive 16,000 Qantas Frequent Flyer points. Customers who apply online and are approved by 15 December 2005 and activate their card by 5pm (AEST) 15 January 2006 will receive 16,000 Bonus Points.

The conditions are that:

The offer is not available to:
* Account Holders who have previously redeemed the offer
* Additional cardholders
* existing ANZ credit card holders
* where an existing ANZ credit card is transferred and closed

An ANZ Frequent Flyer Visa is $95 total fee for 12 months - even if you never used the card and then cancelled it, $95 for 16,000 QFF points represents good value as far as I can see!

Can anyone see any downside to this?

EDIT: Missed out the word "points" in the second last paragraph.

16,000 points for $95 is a great deal. I would recommend keeping the card until the end of the first year, that way any purchases with QF earn 2 points per dollar - up to their standard monthly limits.

ANZ has offered more points as sign-up bonus in the past. Seems to vary between 5,000 (not worth it) and 20,000 points (at least that have come my way).

Its been a couple of months since their last personalised offer to me - must be about time for another in the lead up to Christmas.

As previously stated, $95 for 16,000 points isn't too bad a deal..just signed up. I might submit an application in my wife's name for a further 16,000 points and later on transfer them across to my QFF account :wink:

Kiwi Flyer said:
ANZ has offered more points as sign-up bonus in the past. Seems to vary between 5,000 (not worth it) and 20,000 points (at least that have come my way).

The question is, since this is a one time thing (the conditions state you can't get this bonus more than once) - should you go for the $95 for 16,000 points, or hold off in the hope they'll reoffer it with a 20,000 point bonus?

Kiwi Flyer, when did the 20,000 point bonus offer come around? Was it recent or a long time ago?

Darn, I just gave my wife a supplementary Qantas ANZ Visa Gold card. She got rejected on her own.

Maybe I can get her to try again...

Daniel

After applying for my own card I entered an application in my wife's name for which she got an email confirming that ANZ will give her a limit of $4000.

beardoc said:
Kiwi Flyer, when did the 20,000 point bonus offer come around? Was it recent or a long time ago?

It was a few/several months ago. Sorry I forget exactly when. For a while ANZ were sending me an offer every month.

I applied for the ANZ Visa Card on Monday. Since, we have a policy at work that no employment details can be handed out without my written approval, I was thinking that ANZ were dragging the chain. To my surprise, the bloody card and the info pack turned up today. Even the Indian Call Centre activation part was painless - joy o joy. It all fell to pieces, when I attempted to sign the back of the card, the bloody thing was like trying to write on glass, maybe more like wax paper (if anyone is old enough to remember that thing) I tried about 5 pens, and ended up screwing it all up.

Anyone else received the 16000 point card offers? Any luck signing the ba$tard, or did you use a crayon?

My wife and I both received our cards earlier this week but because we weren't ANZ customers we both had to go into the local branch and identify ourselves.

The cards are now active and are sitting at the bottom of my desk drawer. Once my wife and I have seen the 16,000 points hit out QFF accounts they'll get the chop.

Neat investment, spend $95 and get 16,000 points...can't get that return on any other card :D

cssaus said:
Neat investment, spend $95 and get 16,000 points...can't get that return on any other card :D

My thoughts exactly. What is the wholesale cost of a frequent flyer point to ANZ - therefore how much money are they losing on this promotion?

cssaus said:
I am thinking of applying for this simply for the 16,000 ff points, possibly a balance transfer at 2.9% for 6 months also sounds inviting. I know many other cards offer 0% balance transfer but I have exhausted credit limits on many cards. :? 2.9% is better than paying >16%

Maybe I have missed something but other than $95 annual fee for the Visa and $150 annual fee for the Gold Visa what other differences exist between the 2 cards?

Not really worried about monthly spend and points earned as it will not be used very much.

beardoc said:
An ANZ Frequent Flyer Visa is $95 total fee for 12 months - even if you never used the card and then cancelled it, $95 for 16,000 QFF points represents good value as far as I can see!

I am looking at the first screen before you apply online and it now reads

Customers who apply, are approved 31 December 2005 and make a purchase by 31 January 2006 will receive 16,000 frequent flyer points
So apparently you can't leave the card in the drawer until you receive the points. Everywhere I look and a different term & condition appears. :? Is this standard practice? I think I now know why I stuck with CBA, whether you like them or not, most of my life.

JohnK said:
So apparently you can't leave the card in the drawer until you receive the points. Everywhere I look and a different term & condition appears. :? Is this standard practice? I think I now know why I stuck with CBA, whether you like them or not, most of my life.
As I said previously, Coles will happily sell you a Mars Bar charged to your Visa card. And note that you will then earn 16,001 QF FF points for your Mars Bar purhcase.

NM said:
As I said previously, Coles will happily sell you a Mars Bar charged to your Visa card. And note that you will then earn 16,001 QF FF points for your Mars Bar purhcase.
:oops: I do remember you saying this before. I should have been paying attention. :roll:

Q. What happens when I submit my application?
A. Once you have completed and submitted your application, you will receive a response within 60 seconds indicating the application outcome. An email will also be sent to you informing you of the outcome.
Has anyone ever received a positive outcome in 60 seconds.

All I got was your application is being processed. :?

JohnK said:
beardoc said:

I am looking at the first screen before you apply online and it now reads

Customers who apply, are approved 31 December 2005 and make a purchase by 31 January 2006 will receive 16,000 frequent flyer points

well, according to the screen you see when you go to the link:

http://www.anz.com.au/australia/persbnk/prdsrv/credit/range/qtv/qtv.asp

it's still saying:

"Receive 16,000 Qantas Frequent Flyer points* Customers who apply online and are approved by 15 December 2005 and activate their card by 5pm (AEST) 15 January 2006 will receive 16,000 Bonus Points."

What's going in here???? :?

cssaus said:
What's going in here???? :?
Perhaps they have defined the card activation process to be incomplete until the first use of the card for a purchase.

OK, here's the explanation straight from the horse's mouth.

I rang ANZ customer services and explained that there seems to be some confusion as to the T&C's of how the points are awarded.

From the main ANZ web site if you drill down to the application page and read the conditions it says that you must apply before Dec 15, 2005 and activate the card (i.e. call the 1800 number and have the card activated) before Jan 15, 2006. According to the ANZ customer service person I spoke to these are the only terms and conditions that apply.

I then asked the CS person to logon onto the Qantas web site and click on the ANZ link for the VISA card. When she did that I pointed out that the Qantas web page also confirmed the above however, when I got her to click on the link to actually apply for the card itself, she was horrified to see that it was talking about having to make a purchase before Jan 31.

She said that is completely wrong and she will be reporting it to her management and it's hoped to have things corrected in 48hrs. She promised to ring me back tomorror and tell me the outcome.

So the end result is, you don't need to buy that MARS Bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back