Status
Not open for further replies.

QF WP

Enthusiast
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
Well, I finally ditched collecting FlyBuys through my NAB Gold MC about 6 months ago (gave my FB's card to fiancee so we use it at Coles, etc now - whatever we collect there is hers!).

Early days and still collecting points - haven't looked at redemptions yet (will eventually load up my QFF with points from all of my programs when I need them).

Has anybody had experience with redemptions or have any comments on the program??

I do not have NAB gold, but looked at that sometime back - did not find it valuable.
However, I collect Flybuys. Secret to flybuys is not the everyday use. But make use of bonus offers. Eg: close to Christmas, Grace Bros (Myers) have offers like:
If you spend $100 on cosmetics or fragrance you get 3000 points OR
If you spend $100 on menswear you get 3000 points etc.
I make use of such offers and collected about 25000 points in the last three years. Not bad. Never tried to redeem yet, but a colleague in my office said last week that she has booked a Gold Coast ticket recently without any hassle or restrictions.
The main thing (for the sceptics!!!) is that it is free and I use my Weestpac or AMEX for the purchases and get those standard points anyway.

I agree arun :!:

I've found in the past though that Fly Buys seems to lose a lot of the bonus points, which isn't great unless you keep detailed records. :cry:

Thanks for that warning Bill. I will make sure that I keep my receipts.

There is a promotion this week - Spend $100 or more on cosmetics, skincare or fragrance and you get 2000 points.

arun said:
Thanks for that warning Bill. I will make sure that I keep my receipts.

There is a promotion this week - Spend $100 or more on cosmetics, skincare or fragrance and you get 2000 points.

Who is running the promotion. i.e. via which shopping chain :?:

Sorry, I should have told you. It is Grace Bros (and probaly Myers in other states).
There are some good package offers which make it more attractive.

Just been looking at my NAB Gold Rewards program over the past year (no comparison to FlyBuys, it's just so much better).

Seems that my wife likes using her subsidiary NAB card rather than her old Qld Teachers C.U. Visa card - we now put all joint personal expenditure on the card and have collected 40,605 points in the first year (16 January 2003 - 15 January 2004).

Now to start transferring them into My QFF account and use them for overseas flights. Can't see any better use for them...especially since my wife likes flying J....

Being end of financial year, time to start rationalising which cards will still be in my wallet next financial year.

Turning the tap off my NAB Gold card (and it's Rewards program) because of the poor point earning potential at 1.5 Rewards : 1 QFF. Getting much better from CB Visa and Amex (using Accelerator).

Nice knowing you, NAB Gold Mastercard (now NAB just have my savings accounts). So much for loyalty...FF points speak volumes and you aren't playing in the same league as the others....

Lindsay Wilson said:
Being end of financial year, time to start rationalising which cards will still be in my wallet next financial year.

Turning the tap off my NAB Gold card (and it's Rewards program) because of the poor point earning potential at 1.5 Rewards : 1 QFF. Getting much better from CB Visa and Amex (using Accelerator).

Nice knowing you, NAB Gold Mastercard (now NAB just have my savings accounts). So much for loyalty...FF points speak volumes and you aren't playing in the same league as the others....

NAB have a new series of ads being screened at the moment. They tell us how they are reinventing themselves and how they are now "listening."

I wonder if they also read this website. Maybe it's time we should raised their awareness a little :!:

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I finally cancelled my NAB Gold Mastercard (my oldest CC) and went through the 20 questions as to why I was leaving. The call centre guy was okay and wanted to offer my fee-free everything but I'd already cut up the card and so had Mrs LW.

Now down to 3 cards, all dedicated 1:1 or 1.5:1 earning.

Lindsay Wilson said:
I finally cancelled my NAB Gold Mastercard (my oldest CC) and went through the 20 questions as to why I was leaving. The call centre guy was okay and wanted to offer my fee-free everything but I'd already cut up the card and so had Mrs LW.
I would love to do that to some of my cards. :D Fee-free? I would have kept it!!!!

Lindsay Wilson said:
Now down to 3 cards, all dedicated 1:1 or 1.5:1 earning.
I am confused that you are happy with 1.5:1 earning :? Earlier you said:-

Lindsay Wilson said:
Here you are not happy with 1.5:1 earning. Has something changed recently with CB Visa and Amex? :?

Sorry if I have misunderstood what you are saying. :oops:

As a result of advice received on this discussion board I am now down to two cards; the AMEX rewards maximiser and the Woolworths Ezy mastercard, and for my personal use could not be happier.

I previously had the AMEX Gold where I received FF at 1:1 and the ANZ Qantas Gold card where I thought I was getting the same ratio of 1:1 points. I spend approx $9K a month on cards and pay them on receipt of the statement, however, it was pointed out to me on this board that I only received .5 points on my ANZ card after I reach $2,500, something I did not realise. Now with the Woolworths card I receive 1:1 point for my monthly spending. More points, more travel.

JohnK, whoops my mistake...should have been clearer with the ratios. I meant to say (and type) ($) 1:1.5 (points).

What's the use of keeping a fee free card which is only earning $3 for 2 points. Better off with the $1:1 point or $1:1.5 point cards.

Lindsay Wilson said:
JohnK, whoops my mistake...should have been clearer with the ratios. I meant to say (and type) ($) 1:1.5 (points).

What's the use of keeping a fee free card which is only earning $3 for 2 points. Better off with the $1:1 point or $1:1.5 point cards.
That's OK Lindsay I just wasn't sure because the two statements were the same. :?

Which card gives 1:1.5 points? That would definately be worth it.

JohnK said:
Which card gives 1:1.5 points? That would definately be worth it.
Amex Rewards Maximiser and Amex Platinum Credit Card both give 1.5 Amex rewards points per A$ spent, which then transfer 1:1 to Qantas FF program.

I gave up on fly buys a long time ago and use AX for the extra points, and often bonus points for using it on fuel and supermarkets.

With the erosion of the Ezy Mastercard in October this year. I am considering this as my supplementry card.

I can receive the card and rewards for $0 (saving of $145.50). Which makes this very attractive to me. Plus I can direct debit the balance straight from my bank account for payment which makes me even happier :D.

I know that the card has been bagged alittle in this thread but from the National Australia Bank - NAB Gold Rewards Card website I get the following;

Monthly Spend: $0 - $3,000 earns 1:1
Monthly Spend: $3,001 - $10,000 earns 2:1

As my spending with rarely exceed $1000 per month I should always maintain a 1:1 earning ratio.

Redemption to my QFF will be at 1.5:1 which I am willing to do. I figure I would forgo about 3000 points max for the year. The next best option that I see people going for - is back to ANZ Frequent Flyer at $150. Would I pay another $150 for 3000 points? Not when its only a supp card...

What our people's thoughts on this as an option if they are/were using the Ezy Mastercard as a supp card? What else would you consider as an alternative?

Thanks,

What did you need to do to receive the NAB Gold card fee-free? We're also about to abandon our Woollies MC.

wombatcountry said:
What did you need to do to receive the NAB Gold card fee-free?
The NAB Gold card is not fee-free. The annual fee is $145.50 as mentioned by QFTravel and the NAB website, consisting of an annual card fee of $88.30 and an annual program fee of $57.20

QFTravel may receive the card fee-free through work or being a member of some group like AMA, CPA etc. Another way to receive the card fee-free would be if you already had the card and wanted to cancel it and NZAB believes you are a valuable enough customer to keep and offer to waive the fee for you.

wombatcountry said:
What did you need to do to receive the NAB Gold card fee-free? We're also about to abandon our Woollies MC.

My stockbroker's (Goldman Sachs JBWere: JBWere Visa Gold Card) cash accounts are managed through the NAB. It is a complimentary option to take out a NAB Gold VISA CC with Rewards program. I am assured that their is no annual fee for the card, however, I have asked for the reward program fee be confirmed as complimentary also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back