My Cancellation Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitty

Just thought I'd document my cancellation odyssey. I've got the AMP Amex card, but am no longer using it and now want to cancel it before the annual fee is charged. That won't happen til September but I'm getting in early. I rang Amex, eventually go through to Apu in India. I stated simply "I Want to cancel my card". He asked me why, I said "I don't need it any more". He said, "Can you please call back tomorrow, we are currently experiencing system issues".

Hmmm, do I smell a rat?

Look forward to tomorrow's exciting installment.

Look forward to hearing how you go. I've got one of these cards, but have been a bit too lazy to get around to closing it. Just got hit with fees two months back, so I'm working up to the next reward then canning it.

Hopefully it won't be too hard to close!

I know when I wanted to cancel my gold credit card I had some issues in doing so. I only wanted to cancel it as I had no use for it as I'm a Platinum card holder. I got transfered to a area in Sydney, for memory it was known as extension 5151 or something like that. I know this because at the time I tried to cancel my card there was a large queue so the consultant said if I wanted to call back later and ask for the extension in the Sydney offices I could do so. Can't remember the exact area or extension number but might be worth a shot if needed.

Update... rang them, was put through to another area much like the comment above. I said I didn't need the card any more, they said I could keep it without a fee as they would cancel the rewards program (fine by me, I have no points owing to me and now have citibank for all my points). They are apparently going to send this to me in writing (allegedly). We'll wait and see. I'm happy to keep the card as long as there is no fee.

mitty said:
I rang Amex, eventually go through to Apu in India. I stated simply "I Want to cancel my card". He asked me why, I said "I don't need it any more". He said, "Can you please call back tomorrow, we are currently experiencing system issues".

Hmmm, do I smell a rat?

I think that was one of the days I tried to order my replacement Gold Amex which had torn neatly along the mag stripe. I called last Tue (24/05) and Wed (25/05) and got the same excuse about their systems being down and to call back tomorrow. As I'm about to travel overseas, it was quite urgent I got the replacement and so I insisted they transfer me to a local Sydney rep, as I found it hard to believe that all Amex computers were down during business hours two days running. To their credit, they did transfer me to a local and they gladly ordered my replacement card which arrived two days later.

If at first you don't succeed...

Never had any problem with AMEX. My gold charge card was damaged and I rang and asked for a replacement card. No problem, 2 days later I got my new card with an invitation to become a platinum card holder. I accepted and 1 week later, got my platinum card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back