My Cancellation Odyssey | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

My Cancellation Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitty

Just thought I'd document my cancellation odyssey. I've got the AMP Amex card, but am no longer using it and now want to cancel it before the annual fee is charged. That won't happen til September but I'm getting in early. I rang Amex, eventually go through to Apu in India. I stated simply "I Want to cancel my card". He asked me why, I said "I don't need it any more". He said, "Can you please call back tomorrow, we are currently experiencing system issues".

Hmmm, do I smell a rat?

Look forward to tomorrow's exciting installment.

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Look forward to hearing how you go. I've got one of these cards, but have been a bit too lazy to get around to closing it. Just got hit with fees two months back, so I'm working up to the next reward then canning it.

Hopefully it won't be too hard to close!

netaddict

I know when I wanted to cancel my gold credit card I had some issues in doing so. I only wanted to cancel it as I had no use for it as I'm a Platinum card holder. I got transfered to a area in Sydney, for memory it was known as extension 5151 or something like that. I know this because at the time I tried to cancel my card there was a large queue so the consultant said if I wanted to call back later and ask for the extension in the Sydney offices I could do so. Can't remember the exact area or extension number but might be worth a shot if needed.

mitty

Update... rang them, was put through to another area much like the comment above. I said I didn't need the card any more, they said I could keep it without a fee as they would cancel the rewards program (fine by me, I have no points owing to me and now have citibank for all my points). They are apparently going to send this to me in writing (allegedly). We'll wait and see. I'm happy to keep the card as long as there is no fee.

mick

mitty said:
I rang Amex, eventually go through to Apu in India. I stated simply "I Want to cancel my card". He asked me why, I said "I don't need it any more". He said, "Can you please call back tomorrow, we are currently experiencing system issues".

Hmmm, do I smell a rat?
I think that was one of the days I tried to order my replacement Gold Amex which had torn neatly along the mag stripe. I called last Tue (24/05) and Wed (25/05) and got the same excuse about their systems being down and to call back tomorrow. As I'm about to travel overseas, it was quite urgent I got the replacement and so I insisted they transfer me to a local Sydney rep, as I found it hard to believe that all Amex computers were down during business hours two days running. To their credit, they did transfer me to a local and they gladly ordered my replacement card which arrived two days later.

If at first you don't succeed...

Tankers

Never had any problem with AMEX. My gold charge card was damaged and I rang and asked for a replacement card. No problem, 2 days later I got my new card with an invitation to become a platinum card holder. I accepted and 1 week later, got my platinum card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

AFF on Air Podcast

• Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anishsinghal911