Status
Not open for further replies.

serfty

Veteran Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
From another Thread: got QF Amex but no one accepts it...

JohnK said:
Going Off topic here and didn't really want to create a new thread.

I have had 2 foreign currency charges, one in USD and the other in SGD, on my Amex Gold card in the last few days and they only show the AUD amount. There is no reference at all to the foreign currency amount.

Has anyone else noticed this change lately?
I've checked on line an Amex statement for period ending last week; no paper statement has arrived yet. It has a 19th June transaction in NZD which is showing the Foreign Currency amount.

Looking further back, I see a May 23rd transaction, again in NZD which shows both AUD and NZD amounts. The paper statement has a column headed 'Foreign Amount' which shows the amount in the original currency and the amount of 'conversion commission'.

I'll check the statement that should be arriving next week.

I had a $USD charge on the 1st July which shows the incorrect format on the Online Activity.

Code:
Date		Description			Amount
01 July		ABCDEFG			$XX.XX

My previous Intl transaction was back in April

Code:
Date		Description			Amount
24 April	ABCDEFG			$XX.XX
		XX.XX UNITED STATES DOLLAR

Very annoying. I cannot tell from this if the ABCDEFG company has charged me the correct $USD amount, or added an additional 'tip' or 'charge' or something similar.

Still a few weeks until my statement comes out, so won't know for sure what is going on till then.

I have a tranaction in MYR that I expect to turn up any day now, so will take a look see at what turns up in the activity. (Although I did think that was what the Hide Details/Show Details button was for!)

Last edited:
As serfty copied from the other thready i updated, i can confirm on the web interface i see the same !
Not sure about paper as i am not in the country for another couple of months but that will really stuff a lot of people up in the claiming of expenses, more work, also allows them to hide extra charges etc and we can't tell the rate vs charges components.

:(

E

I can see all of the Foreign Currency Amounts on my Online Activity Statement.

On the top right, press the "show details" button or the " + " Button next to each transaction, and it should show you the foreign currency details... It does for me!

Let me know if that works for you.

PaulZ

PaulZ said:
On the top right, press the "show details" button or the " + " Button next to each transaction, and it should show you the foreign currency details... It does for me!

That's how it *should* work, but doesn't for me.

I hope this is only a temporary glitch. I am not looking forward to talking to anyone, or even getting accurate information, from the off shore call centre tomorrow.

Just looking at my 2 most recent foreign currency transactions closely the exchange rate does not look very favourable at all.

I have the same problem. I was overseas from 1 May and, to start with, all foreign transactions included the foreign amount. Then suddenly, from 17 May, they only show the Australian amounts. I only get my statement online, not on paper but when I phoned AMEX to find out what was happening they said that shouldn't be happening and they would look into it. Surprise, surprise, over a week later and nothing has changed, although I did get about three paper statements sent to me that did include the foreign amount.

Just looking at my AMEX RM card paper statement for June.

I have three transactions from PRC that show both the RMB value as well as the $A value. These transactions were made early June.

The RMB values, however, do not show up on the on-line transactions summary. No additional information is displayed when I click on "Show Details".

I called Amex earlier this morning. I explained the problem with the website not showing foreign currency amounts. He was not aware of the issue and neither was the supervisor. The call centre employees are able to see the foreign currency amounts on their website. To me it would appear to be some sort of user interface issue.

For future transactions he asked me to wait until I got the statement to find out the foreign currency amount that has been charged to the card. This is not good enough. I would like to see the foreign currency amount as soon as it is charged to the card. Could be dangerous waiting for the statement to arrive and the only way to find out the actual foreign currency amount is to call Amex everytime I use the card for foreign currency transactions.

The call centre made a note on my file that I am having website issues and I had to prompt him to put in a request to IT to have a look at the issue. I don't think Amex is treating this issue seriously as it has been an issue since around middle of May.

Thanks for the update JohnK,
Agree its not acceptable, i wont even see home or my paper mail until maybe August so i see for my expense claims the web version working. Not to mention its just nice to know.
E

I agree that this is a pretty poor response. They encourage you to opt out of receiving paper statements, and then are reluctant to fix an issue where full transaction details are not available on-line.

I was considering stopping paper statements, but not if this is AMEX's attitude to reported problems with their on-line summary.

Shano said:
I agree that this is a pretty poor response. They encourage you to opt out of receiving paper statements, and then are reluctant to fix an issue where full transaction details are not available on-line.

I was considering stopping paper statements, but not if this is AMEX's attitude to reported problems with their on-line summary.

Is there any evidence there is anything wrong with their online statements? (As distinct from the activity summary)

oz_mark said:
Shano said:

Is there any evidence there is anything wrong with their online statements? (As distinct from the activity summary)
Just tried downloading the June statement for my Gold CC which also has a couple of foreign currently transactions, but for some reason Internet Download Manager no longer likes downloads from the AMEW website :confused: Will have to try this from the home PC tonight.

Looked at my July paper statement today and guess what! No foreign currency amount for the USD transaction. :confused:

Called Amex and explained the problem and was assured that it was a mistake with my printed statement as they could see the foreign currency amount on the saved version. Anyway they will post me a new copy of the statement with the fooreign currency amount included.

The person on the phone was very helpful and said he will also make sure that my issues with viewing foreign currency charges online are fixed in the next few days. Well here is hoping that this is fixed very soon as I see myself having many small foreign currency transactions in the couple of months and I do not want to call Amex every time to check on the amount.

Plus I was given a very special 24 hours support number that can be used from anywhere in the world reverse charge. :shock:

Last edited:
Well I finally managed to download my June statement and the foreign currency amount is displayed along with the $A equivalent. So the issue is only with the summary page.

My paper statement came last week and it does have the NZD amount listed against the transaction. (This is the Amex "business" Gold Card.)

My Qantas Premium card statement is now online and shows the full USD/AUD amount for a transaction. They seem to have added in a section which shows the Amex Commission for the transaction as well.

Still no sign of improvement over the old situation for the online display of activity.

Still not able to view foreign currency amounts with online display!

It is showing up fine for me:

17 July SELFRIDGES RETAIL, LONDON
230.00 POUNDS STERLING BILLED AS
230.00 POUNDS STERLING BILLED AS
GOODS 0000023000 $552.92

S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back