Membership rewards fee on closed account | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Membership rewards fee on closed account

Status
Not open for further replies.

aschmid

Member
Joined
May 13, 2005
Messages
113
I had the strangest thing happen to me today. I closed an account on a AMEX Credit Card a year ago and today they send me an account statement with a $80 charge on it for Ascent membership rewards. I have a letter from them a year ago confirming the account was closed!

I called them and was told the we are very sorry story, this should not have happened, your account is closed, we will reverse the charge and send you a new statement. This all was just a SYSTEM ERROR ...

I am wondering if anybody out there knows what "closing an account" really means and how long they will leave the account and my personal data hanging around in their systems?

Is it legal for them to keep my personal data, which they obviously did as they had my address etc. once I close my account for 1 year plus? How long can they keep or when are they required to delete it?

Does anybody know what needs to be done to really CLOSE an account - with that I mean the account is closed, does not anymore exist and they can't add any chargest to it. What do i need to do to get myself of their systems?

Thanks for any advise.
 

Cyberdog100

Intern
Joined
Dec 29, 2006
Messages
70
Don't quote me on this, but from what i've heard accounts don't get deleted, they are simply "disabled" as such, or to users they are "closed". Therefore they may keep sending you marketing material or special offers to entice you back unless you've specifically opted out of marketing.
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,103
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Cyberdog100 said:
Don't quote me on this, but from what i've heard accounts don't get deleted, they are simply "disabled" as such, or to users they are "closed". ...
This is also in case a transaction with your card number comes through. This can be for reasons as simple as a retailer submitting a voucher for payment some months after the event or as bad as fraud.

In either of these cases the account will be reactivated and you will be sent a statement.
 

dajop

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
11,172
Flights
My Map
serfty said:
This is also in case a transaction with your card number comes through. This can be for reasons as simple as a retailer submitting a voucher for payment some months after the event or as bad as fraud.
Taxis are a classic example - those that have processed a payment manually can take months to submit their voucher for payment.
 
Trying to access your favourite Australian websites when overseas only to discover they have been geo-blocked? Concerned about your internet privacy especially when using unsecured wifi? NordVPN will solve both these common problems.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
18,540
Flights
My Map
aschmid said:
Is it legal for them to keep my personal data, which they obviously did as they had my address etc. once I close my account for 1 year plus? How long can they keep or when are they required to delete it?

Does anybody know what needs to be done to really CLOSE an account - with that I mean the account is closed, does not anymore exist and they can't add any chargest to it. What do i need to do to get myself of their systems?
Not only are they permitted to keep the information, they are legally obliged to keep account information for at least seven years.
 

Cyberdog100

Intern
Joined
Dec 29, 2006
Messages
70
7 years! By then i'll have probably had an account with every bank and financial institution in the country, what a trail or information that'll be :mad:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top