Lounge Access Help Desk

admin

Established Member
Administrator
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Posts
1,642
Background to this thread
We have noticed an increase in the posting of questions regarding what Airport Lounges are available at specific airports when travelling on specific airlines. While one can be assured of access at the airline lounge when travelling on that airline (provided you have Lounge membership), thing start to get complex when travelling on a codeshare or partner airline.

Posting Guidelines
Please post your questions about Lounge access in this thread. Be sure to include the airline you are travelling on, the airport (and terminal, if known), and any Airline Status or Airport Lounge membership programs you have.

When answering questions, please include the original question. This will assist in readability and management of the thread.

(Special thanks to Princess Fiona for suggesting this new thread.)
 
I have an upcoming flight that is on a QF codeshare with CI (China Airlines). The route is SYD-TPE flying Y.

I read these articles which sheds light on access to lounges on codeshare:

https://www.qantas.com/en-au/where-we-fly/partner-airlines/china-airlines#lounge-access

Question is if anyone had any success through either QF or CI to get access to lounges here in Aus (Syd) if you are NOT flying in J?

Feels like it is a little harsh especially given that it is a QF codeshare, but I guess I am on the same boat as many others that have experienced the same in the past...

Thank you.
 
I have an upcoming flight that is on a QF codeshare with CI (China Airlines). The route is SYD-TPE flying Y.

I read these articles which sheds light on access to lounges on codeshare:

https://www.qantas.com/en-au/where-we-fly/partner-airlines/china-airlines#lounge-access

Question is if anyone had any success through either QF or CI to get access to lounges here in Aus (Syd) if you are NOT flying in J?

Feels like it is a little harsh especially given that it is a QF codeshare, but I guess I am on the same boat as many others that have experienced the same in the past...

Thank you.
It looks like no lounge access as published ...


Mind you, it should not hurt to politely ask at the lounge entry.
 
Elevate your business spending to first-class rewards! Sign up today with code AFF10 and process over $10,000 in business expenses within your first 30 days to unlock 10,000 Bonus PayRewards Points.
Join 30,000+ savvy business owners who:

✅ Pay suppliers who don’t accept Amex
✅ Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
✅ Earn & transfer PayRewards Points to 10+ airline & hotel partners

Start earning today!
- Pay suppliers who don’t take Amex
- Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
- Earn & Transfer PayRewards Points to 8+ top airline & hotel partners

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Last edited:
I wanted to ask about accessing the Al Safwa lounge in DOH. Obviously, I know that the best way of getting in is to fly F on QR.

I believe that I read somewhere that if you fly J on a short QR flight, that that could allow you access into Al Safwa if they don't offer F on the flight. Does this sound familiar?

I'm looking at doing the flight CAI-DOH-AMM in July or August 2027, if that helps (or possibly the reverse).

I've visited the J lounges multiple times in DOH and thought that, if the opportunity arises, I should check out the F lounge.

Thanks in advance.
 
I wanted to ask about accessing the Al Safwa lounge in DOH. Obviously, I know that the best way of getting in is to fly F on QR.

I believe that I read somewhere that if you fly J on a short QR flight, that that could allow you access into Al Safwa if they don't offer F on the flight. Does this sound familiar?

I'm looking at doing the flight CAI-DOH-AMM in July or August 2027, if that helps (or possibly the reverse).

I've visited the J lounges multiple times in DOH and thought that, if the opportunity arises, I should check out the F lounge.

Thanks in advance.
I think it’s more that on short flights QR codes their front cabin as F rather than J, giving you access to al safwa.

The one world rules should apply if you are connecting long haul F to short haul in any cabin, including economy.

I think you can also buy access as a business class passenger for USD165 or something.
 
I think it’s more that on short flights QR codes their front cabin as F rather than J, giving you access to al safwa.
So, does this mean that it will be listed as First on the website, even though the product is similar to premium economy / domestic business class?

Are there particular routes that this tends to occur on?
 
So, does this mean that it will be listed as First on the website, even though the product is similar to premium economy / domestic business class?

Are there particular routes that this tends to occur on?
Yes that’s right! It’s ’regional first’ if you like, but it can be on wide bodies… so a350/777/787, where the long haul business lie-flat product is designated ‘first’.

The service offering is slightly upgraded from long haul J.

The routes are generally ME and North Africa, but not every flight will be F, some can still be J! Just gotta check the timetable.
 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top