Long wait for refund for cancelled reward flights Qantas - a common experience? | Page 20 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Long wait for refund for cancelled reward flights Qantas - a common experience?

Battymum

Well its been 9 weeks today - and I was getting a little impatient - I was able to access the chat function and queried my refunds. Was told that the points will be in the account within the hour and refund in a few days.
Lets see.

joannaach

HI, I cancelled a classic rewards flight yesterday (international) and I would like to book another rewards flight asap (domestic) - how do you access the webchat function to ask for the points to be recredited quciker?

Thanks

PPOW

Just a data point

cancelled classic rewards 18/06, points received back 08/07. Now just to wait for the taxes
Taxes credited back to Amex overnight showing effective date of 09/07.

Happy Days!

EestiTiger

Flights
My Map
I waited until my 10 weeks was up and then sent QF a message via facebook. They have told me I am processed, I got an email to say the same, and now it is just up to bank processing.

Hope that helps as a data point.

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
I waited until my 10 weeks was up and then sent QF a message via facebook. They have told me I am processed, I got an email to say the same, and now it is just up to bank processing.
Re bolding... I would like the ACCC to look in to that! Any bank taking weeks to process a payment after it has been sent electronically is not acting fairly. (I suspect the hold up is entirely, and deliberately, with Qantas... but maybe I'm wrong.)

sanne

I am in the same position as you EestiTiger. I have rung Qantas 4 times. They say my refund had been sent to Amex. I tell them it hasn‘t. They promise to look into it and ring me back...they don’t. I cancelled this flight on 4th April.
I have now done a charge back with Amex so we’ll see. I am over it.

JohnM

Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Today I cancelled three PNRs, one a QF points Award on CX/BA CDG-xHKG-xSIN-SYD in F, J, F (😭).

Two others PER-DRW and DRW-PER were whY Red-E Deals upgraded to J.

The c. 300K points are back in my account. No penalties.

Now to start counting days...weeks...months for the cash component refunds... :rolleyes:

Vic

Finally rang about my refund, requested in early May. The refund came in within a few days. So pretty good.

The interesting bit was the CSO had to find the exact date the flights were cancelled and the date I requested the refund. Apparently there were 100s of comments on the booking, and they asked if we'd made lots of changes. The think is besides about 3 seats changes, I'd made no changes to the booking at all. Just booked, and seat selection.
So I'm assuming their must be a large number of system generated comments....???

LinaLee

Qantas
Platinum
Flight cancelled by Qantas for flight to Auckland in Mid-Sept and automatically converted to Flight Credit in MMB. No button for refund option now when you access the booking. Actually have to call if refund is sought.

Requested refund on 22 July. 10 weeks was the quoted date and full refund including CC fees amount as advised by agent of the call centre located in India. Call hold time with plat line was about 10 mins around 2pm on the day. Was assured request has been lodged and advised to call back after 10 weeks if the monies are not refunded to CC.

Will update once I get the money 😳

JohnM

Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
For the cancellations I made today, the agent simply said the points are refunded now and the $$ will be credited to my Amex. No comment about how long it would take - and I didn't ask.

Pushka

Enthusiast
Flights
My Map
I was told last week when I cancelled flights not to call back until September and they would escalate. I've received neither points nor money so far. No option to cancel online. Had to call.

JohnM

Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Today I cancelled three PNRs, one a QF points Award on CX/BA CDG-xHKG-xSIN-SYD in F, J, F (😭).

Two others PER-DRW and DRW-PER were whY Red-E Deals upgraded to J.

The c. 300K points are back in my account. No penalties.

Now to start counting days...weeks...months for the cash component refunds... :rolleyes:
Praise be! Miracles happen!

I made my cancellations on Monday (27 July).

The $$ from the Euro surcharge on the CX/BA flights were credited to my Amex the very same day. :oops::eek:o_O

But I lost about $3.50 on the Forex. :mad:

:p

The $$ from my AUD cost of the revenue DOM fares were credited the next day. :oops::eek:o_O

But what took them so long to refund the DOM fares? :mad:

😜😜