LONE4 question | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

LONE4 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyring

Established Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2005
Messages
2,790
Qantas
LT Silver
Flights
My Map
I've just come back from a weekend in Wellington (where I got to meet fellow member Altair, which was a pleasure), and I'm planning on doing something similar for a convention in Charleston in April.

It's just a weekend, but the easiest and cheapest way of doing it seems to be a LONE4, and that's a minimum of ten days. Of course I could just fly there and back, but that works out to the same price, and with a *ONE4 I get 20 flights, instead of eight there and back, which of course makes for far greater earning potential of status credits and airmiles. And with a *ONE4 it's all flexible and if something goes wrong halfway through I can change flights and dates and routes, which is something I can't do with the cheapest there and back again ticket.

I'm looking at those two big flights SYD-LHR and JFK-SYD and wondering if I can fit them both in as big earners. However, on looking at the rules for the ticket, I see, "Travel between continents must be in a continuous forward direction either westward or eastward except that you are free to roam locally at will within a continental zone."

Is there any way I can fit both of these long flights in? I know that they stop for refuelling in Singapore and Los Angeles respectively, but they still count as just one flight, giving me eighteen more to play with, and I've been looking at creative routings to maximise distances subject to the rules.
 

Credit cards which earn frequent flyer points is a popular way to earn frequent flyer points. You can receive thousands of points on everyday spend. And, many of these cards offer generous signup bonuses! Compare to find the credit card that best suits your needs.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

Altair

Active Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
850
Skyring said:
I've just come back from a weekend in Wellington (where I got to meet fellow member Altair, which was a pleasure), and I'm planning on doing something similar for a convention in Charleston in April.
:oops: It was great to meet yourself and Kerri as well.

Skyring said:
I'm looking at those two big flights SYD-LHR and JFK-SYD and wondering if I can fit them both in as big earners. However, on looking at the rules for the ticket, I see, "Travel between continents must be in a continuous forward direction either westward or eastward except that you are free to roam locally at will within a continental zone."

Is there any way I can fit both of these long flights in? I know that they stop for refuelling in Singapore and Los Angeles respectively, but they still count as just one flight, giving me eighteen more to play with, and I've been looking at creative routings to maximise distances subject to the rules.
SYD-LHR would that not still count Asia as being crossed and there counts as a continent whcih means when you get back to SYD you cannot return to Asia?
JFK-SYD, I did not think that QF would allow this. I am not an expert but I believe that has been mentioned before, but a friend did it with a Circle Pacific....:confused:
Could you not interupt your *ONE4 half way and get either an award flight back or cheap return flight to continue it later? JohnK told me that fares ex.SIN were quite reasonable and then you could use your Asia trips up.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,260
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Cheaper option than a LONE4 may be a LCIR22 fare. You could fit SYD-LAX-DFW-CHS-CVG-ORD-NRT-SYD easily into the 22,000 mile fare.
 

Skyring

Established Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2005
Messages
2,790
Qantas
LT Silver
Flights
My Map
NM said:
Cheaper option than a LONE4 may be a LCIR22 fare. You could fit SYD-LAX-DFW-CHS-CVG-ORD-NRT-SYD easily into the 22,000 mile fare.
The difference in fare seems minimal, and there's a lot more potential for mileage and SC earn on the LONE4. I'll be driving down to Charleston with a friend from DC, which will take a day, the convention will be three days, which gives me six days to fit in 20 flights, incuding some very long ones. oneWorld flights to and from Charleston go via DFW, which is a pleasant enough trip on one of those little Embraers.
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
43,099
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Are you trying to talk us into agreeing with you that you should do a LONE4? ;)

You could fly SYD/HNL in JetFlex (140SCs) for $2K or StarClass (280SC's) for $2.6K (280SC's) then on AA HNL/IAD from USD730 (or YUP USD2K (720SC's))

Of course, you still have to get between CBR and SYD ...
 
Last edited:

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Altair said:
:oops: It was great to meet yourself and Kerri as well.


SYD-LHR would that not still count Asia as being crossed and there counts as a continent whcih means when you get back to SYD you cannot return to Asia?
JFK-SYD, I did not think that QF would allow this. I am not an expert but I believe that has been mentioned before, but a friend did it with a Circle Pacific....:confused:
Could you not interupt your *ONE4 half way and get either an award flight back or cheap return flight to continue it later? JohnK told me that fares ex.SIN were quite reasonable and then you could use your Asia trips up.
And I'm sorry I hadn't realised you were in Wellington same time I was :(

Indeed SYD-LHR counts as Asia transit, but you can still visit by eg JFK-HKG-intra asia-Oz/NZ.

JFK-SYD is allowed on xONEx. What Altair may be getting confused about is QF won't sell JFK-LAX segment unless you also fly QF transpacific.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
86,304
Messages
2,080,279
Members
53,712
Latest member
harris08
Top