Lightning impact today

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by rpmsol, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. rpmsol

rpmsol Intern

Jun 11, 2006
    Hi All,

A little while after I got off QF815 flight this afternoon, I heard an announcement that QF450 (I think) was cancelled as lightning hit the operating aircraft, which I understand was a SYD-MEL service (QF439??) and that the plane was no longer operational.

Was anybody in this forum on the plane in question?

Would it be a standard precaution after a lightning strike to cancel subsequent services?

Cheers,
    Paul (Just got WP for first time - should make PG shortly)

2. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Yeah, if lightning strikes a plane, I don't see why they wouldn't pull it out of service for at least a couple of hours.

They need to check the plane and make sure everything is ok.

(Are you sure it wasn't just a Qantas excuse for a late incoming aircraft. They normally seem to blame everything on a late arriving aircraft... So if the plane is late, would they have to find a new excuse?)

3. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Yup - even when the a/c is seen to be arriving bang on time they still say the arriving aircraft was late. :rolleyes:

4. Damien

Damien Member

Aug 29, 2005
    BNE
    My other favourite is when they blame for caterers for taking too long.

5. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #5 serfty, Aug 1, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
    Actually "Catering" can often be a euphemism for cleaning... perhaps someone has significantly soiled their seat on the inbound segment (e.g. Uncontrolled and uncontained Regurgitation). Such cleaning may take quite a deal of time.

6. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Ahh yes, the justification for JQ to install "leather" seats so they can reduce the cleaning and hence turnaround time :rolleyes:.

7. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Funny you should say that. On one of my outbound Finnair flights from BKK last week we were running late and the captain was using all these excuses when out of the corner of my eye, seat 1A, I see a female cleaner walking on the tarmac followed by one of the ground staff.

Maybe she did not have time to finish what she was doing, she fell asleep or was hiding somewhere trying to stow away.

8. Aircrash 1

Aircrash 1 Junior Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Thats BKK for you!

9. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    LOL. :D There is more to BKK than that though. :rolleyes:

10. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    Yeah, it takes heaps of time to bring all those pre-packed cookies and juices on board. :rolleyes: