Kids access to Oberoi Club (Qantas Club) Mumbai

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by eshan, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. eshan

eshan Newbie

Aug 23, 2007
    #1 eshan, Aug 23, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
    Hi All,

My first post so hope I am posting in the appropriate area.

We (me, wife & 2 kids) are flying back from UK using Qantas FF points; our route is London – Mumbai – Sydney.

Our issue is that we have a 10 hour layover in Mumbai.I’m a FF Gold member hence has access to the Oberoi Lounge and can take one guest (the wife if I want to live!!).

The question is, can I wrangle the two kids in (ages: 9 & 12)? Or can I purchase passes or any other ideas?.

We are quite desperate as the Mumbai airport is not the best by a long shot, we investigated going to a hotel but it’s a hassle beacuse we need to get visa etc.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Eshan

2. Anna

Anna Established Member

Jan 17, 2005
    I suggest that you should check your visa requirements. For Aust citizens I believe that even transit passengers to India require a visa. A Transit Visa costs $20 as I understand it.

Also last time I was at Mumbai Airport the 'lounge' was more like a cafeteria and all food and drink had to be paid for. It may have changed now.

3. eshan

eshan Newbie

Aug 23, 2007
    Thanks Anna, the visa cost is now $35 and is only valid 15 days from issue. As we willl be Europe for over a month it does not work out. A full tourist visa is $90, hence 4 visa + hotel is around $700 which is not worth it.

4. mzy

mzy Junior Member

Jul 9, 2007
    I was in Mumbai a few weeks ago. I was travelling alone but there were certainly families in the lounge - can't say for sure whether they were in there as a result of being in QC members or whether they just paid.

10 hours is a long time in Mumbai, even in the lounge. They do provide a small buffet and free soft drinks, and they serve alcohol from the bar but I didn't partake so not sure whether it is extra $$$. There are no showers.

There isn't much to do in the lounge and there are extremely few 'shops' at BOM. I would suggest you pack enough stuff to occupy the kids. The lounge itself does have a wireless hotspot which you can pay for but you may also be able to access the free wireless hotspot which has a slightly weaker signal than the lounge one. The lounge also has a wide screen which was permanently on Star Cricket when I was there - not bad if you like cricket but otherwise...

Good luck...Mzy

5. eshan

eshan Newbie

Aug 23, 2007
    Thanks for the info MZY

6. Febs

Febs Established Member

Aug 15, 2006
    HKG
    eshan - FWIW, I'm here now (8pm, Sunday night) and the place is crawling with kids (kind of glad I'm only here for an hour...though they're not too noisy thankfully).

Good luck.

Cheers,
    - Febs.