JQ : Misleading adverts | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

JQ : Misleading adverts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mal

Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,385
Flights
My Map
Tssk. Tssk. Jetstar!

I think they'll get away with it though. A lot of punters shown a photo of a Bali beach side by side with a photo of a Phuket beach would never be able to tell you which was which.

Just like a non-descriptive photo of a Sydney street next to a non-descriptive photo of a Melbourne street may elicit the same level of unknown.

BTW, the link posted didn't work for me. I had to use : Jetstar: what you see is not what you'll get - Business - Business - smh.com.au
 

FlyFirst

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2006
Messages
30
Hi all

I hadn't looked at the pictures per se - but what I do think is misleading is Jetstar's claim that they will deliver airfares and packages for 'a fraction' of what you're paying now (I think they also use the word 'probably'??) .

This is perhaps technically true... anything less that what you are paying now would be a 'fraction', but in reality it implies you would be paying a very small amount of what you pay now.

Given their packages to Bali and Viet Nam come in at the same price (if not more) than packages available through Garuda and Vietnam Airlines, I think their claims (to the average person in the street) are misleading.

Interesting to also note that the Age (2 weeks ago on Saturday) claimed that Jetstar's tickets were well below current costs - saying that unlke other airline's websites, Jetstar's pricing was all inclusive. The Age said fares to Bali (for regular travel periods they claimed, not the specials) were $550 (and it indeed the very first booking page does say total cost) - but you have to go to the next page to get all the taxes... taking the fare - at today's prices (for travel in Feb 07) to over $800.

And while I'm on the subject - some (all??) of Jetstar's package holidays don't mention transfers (unlike Thai Airways, Garuda or Vietnam Airlines packages).

Oh well, rant hat off.

Regards

FlyFirst
 
Now with contactless delivery, shop online to get drinks delivered to your door or pick up in-store in 30 minutes. Lowest Liquor Price Guarantee. Biggest Range.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
FlyFirst said:
Hi all

I hadn't looked at the pictures per se - but what I do think is misleading is Jetstar's claim that they will deliver airfares and packages for 'a fraction' of what you're paying now (I think they also use the word 'probably'??) .

This is perhaps technically true... anything less that what you are paying now would be a 'fraction', but in reality it implies you would be paying a very small amount of what you pay now.
Given that it is technically correct, then I don't see that there would be any valid compaint. Even if the fares were higher, they would still be a fraction of the current price (e.g. if the fare was 1/3 more, it would be 4/3 of the current price )

Of course if there is a fare difference where dividing the 2 costs does not produce a rational number, then they are providing a misleading advert :)

Dave
 

maninblack

Established Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2006
Messages
2,310
Well Jetstar is like any budget operator. It's all about the hype. The reality may be a little different but I reckon thats okay at the price as long as they are not telling flat out lies. Accept it for what it is. And check the fares and conditions against non-budget carriers, to keep them honest. At least they are flying new aircraft unlike some of the Qantas fleet which has been around since B&W TV...well almost.
 

FlyFirst

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2006
Messages
30
Dave Noble said:
Given that it is technically correct, then I don't see that there would be any valid compaint.
Dave
I think most people however would apply the common usage/understanding of the phrase 'for a fraction', and this is where, even if technically correct, the advertisement can be misleading.

FF.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
FlyFirst said:
I think most people however would apply the common usage/understanding of the phrase 'for a fraction', and this is where, even if technically correct, the advertisement can be misleading.

FF.
However when it comes to adverts, it is the technical accuracy which tends to dictate their validity and an improper fraction is still a fraction. e.g. complaints were made about BA advertising online check in and how you would not need to queue to check in; a complaint was made that they had queues for dropping bags off at fast bag drop. The authority ruled in favour of BA since they validly claimed that since the person was checked in, they could not be queueing to check in and that a queue for fast bag drop did not consitute a check in queue

Dave
 

dajop

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 1, 2002
Messages
11,168
Flights
My Map
Dave Noble said:
However when it comes to adverts, it is the technical accuracy which tends to dictate their validity and an improper fraction is still a fraction.
If there fares are 8/7ths that of a competitors is that still a fraction? Technically I guess it is.

What grates on me with the TV ads is the whole choice bit. Recently flew BNE-DRW on JQ (thankfully at last minute on a JetFlex fare), and the menu offered a choice of hot foods - mini-pizza or heated sub. They didn't have any mini-pizza's on board, my preferred choice (and I was in Row 1, so it wasn't as if they ran out). The guy next to me mad a beverage choice of rum and coke from the menu, and again didn't have any of that on board. So it grates on me when hear all about choice.
 

FlyFirst

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2006
Messages
30
Dave Noble said:
However when it comes to adverts, it is the technical accuracy which tends to dictate their validity and an improper fraction is still a fraction. e.g. complaints were made about BA advertising online check in and how you would not need to queue to check in; a complaint was made that they had queues for dropping bags off at fast bag drop. The authority ruled in favour of BA since they validly claimed that since the person was checked in, they could not be queueing to check in and that a queue for fast bag drop did not consitute a check in queue

Dave
Just checked the ACC website and I quote:

Companies engaged in advertising goods or services must be careful not to send a message that creates, or could create, a wrong picture in the minds of those who receive the message. Failing to disclose important information in advertising may also sometimes be misleading.


The 'create a wrong picture' I think is key here - telling people they pay a fraction of what they probably pay now would create the impression that J* prices are well below what is currently available?

Regards

FlyFirst
 

one9

Active Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
607
FlyFirst said:
Just checked the ACC website and I quote:

Companies engaged in advertising goods or services must be careful not to send a message that creates, or could create, a wrong picture in the minds of those who receive the message. Failing to disclose important information in advertising may also sometimes be misleading....​





But Jetstar probably disclose their pricing in their conditions.

I think the wrong location in the picture is more misleading.



 

one9

Active Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
607
dajop said:
If there fares are 8/7ths that of a competitors is that still a fraction? Technically I guess it is.

What grates on me with the TV ads is the whole choice bit. Recently flew BNE-DRW on JQ (thankfully at last minute on a JetFlex fare), and the menu offered a choice of hot foods - mini-pizza or heated sub. They didn't have any mini-pizza's on board, my preferred choice (and I was in Row 1, so it wasn't as if they ran out). The guy next to me mad a beverage choice of rum and coke from the menu, and again didn't have any of that on board. So it grates on me when hear all about choice.
You are talking about domestic Jetstar.

It is Jetstar International who are advertising choice.

I read previously about Jetstar International doing some things differently than Jetstar domestic, eg. offering a larger selection of foods than many airline carriers (but you have to pay).
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,260
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I don't see anything majorly wrong with using a beach from another location. After all, I might visit Bali and go looking for the beach with the picturesque point jutting out into the water and not be able to find it, in just the same way as I can't find the well-tanned model in an orange top doing star-jumps on the sand. Just because the model is not found on the beach at Bali does not mean the poster advertisement was misleading??

I don't think it is necessary for the ad to include an * with a small-print disclaimer that the model shown in the picture may not actually be located on the beach at Bali at the time of your visit.
 

duffshot

Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2005
Messages
121
NM said:
I don't think it is necessary for the ad to include an * with a small-print disclaimer that the model shown in the picture may not actually be located on the beach at Bali at the time of your visit.
But if they could gaurantee she would be it would definitely be worth stating
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
86,310
Messages
2,080,548
Members
53,712
Latest member
happydesertsafari
Top