JL/JO Flight numbers somewhat confusing

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by simongr, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    Hi all
    I am in the process of booking another circle asia (if I can) and have some JL flights appearing potentially. One thing that I am finding weird is the flight numbers and availability. Firstly in the oneworld planner it often has JL for JO as the operator - and vice versa for the same flight. What is that about?

Also just looking at availability there iis some weird stuff:
    Code:

JO(JL) 771

NRT
    23/11/07 9:25 PM 	SYD
    24/11/07 8:55 AM 	744
    	Daily
    NA / NA 	J0 C0 D0 I0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 X0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 G0 	
     0 Connections

JL(JO) 771

NRT
    23/11/07 9:25 PM 	SYD
    24/11/07 8:55 AM 	744
    	Daily
    NA / NA 	J4 C4 D4 I0 Y4 B4 H4 K4 X4 M4 L4 V4 S4 N4 Q4 G4 	
    So same flight sold by same company with completely different availability - is there a reason for this?

Cheers
    S

2. littl_flier

littl_flier Active Member

May 1, 2007
    Brisbane
    Hi Simon,

Yes, JO is Jalways for JAL and to my understanding, this means you will be on regional product. Similar to AO for QF or Qantas Link for Qantas. May be wrong but this is my understanding.

As for availability, this is just bizare. Not sure on this one.

EDIT: Yes, just worked it out. Notice there is no availability for the JO code meaning that you can only be booked onto a JL flight number for this and not the JO code.

littl_flier

3. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    I guessed that they had blocked out availability but if you can never book under that flight number - why list it?

4. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    with E/F, JO(JL) m would mean codeshare with a JO flight number on a JL operated flight.

Next week in flying on QF (JQ) 390 (which is JQ2 with food thrown in).

At one level guess it cold be a cross/codeshare. i.e. Both JO & JL 'own' and 'operate' seats on the flight/aircraft, but they will allow the other carrier to sell seats from their allocation using codeshares.

I thinks it's the way Expert Flyer is interpreting information sent by the relevant GDS.

5. drron

drron Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2002
    Sunshine Coast
    Simon if the flight has another airline codeshare other than JL/JO use that as the JL code means no AA status bonus miles.Still get EQP and class bonus but a pity to miss out on those extra miles if on one of the longer legs.

6. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    I am booked on the JL flight number - all seems fine. I know JO and others joined oneworld with JAL but was wondering why the oddities with flight numbers