Jetstar sees Europe as ripe with potential

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Yada Yada, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    There is a bit of info on the 787-8 and 787-9's that Jetstar will be using in the article.

I also saw the following article online a few days ago:

2. maninblack

maninblack Established Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Jetstar is as much as 50% cheaper to run than Qantas. They haven't even flown overseas yet :!:

3. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Athens in August on JQ here I come....

4. garyjohn951

garyjohn951 Active Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Melbourne
    And just the other day someone mentioned Rome !!
    Yep 787 for Jetstar prior to QF and QF say they don't have enough planes.
    It is ALL geared to Jetstar doing all the routes except half a dozen QF routes.

5. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    ahh you're an optimist

6. Altair

Altair Active Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Wellington
    Doing a little more research since I posted on another thread. The first 787 will be the -8, this is the smallest long range variant, but with JQ using 9 across seating there will be more seats than a QF 767. QF will use the 787-9, larger, for the international routes first, then moving the old long haul 767-300ER to domestic routes or retiring them, or returning the 7 dwarfs.
    As more 787 join the fleet, including domestic, the 767 will be leaving. QF will then have 737-800 and 787 (8 or 9) for domestic mainline. 787-9, A330-200, A330-300, 747-400(Standard and ER) and finally A380-800 for international operations.
    Qantaslink, Jetconnect have been left out of this equation.

7. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I would not assume the A330s will always remain in the international fleet. I am expecting the A330-200s to return to domestic ops on the longer routes like SYD/MEL-PER as well as trans-Tasman (well, they are really domestic ops, arn't they?) with the 787 doing the high-capacity monorail services after the 767s have eventaully seen out their life on these domestic ops (couild be as much as 8-10 years away), and repositioning domestic ops.

8. Altair

Altair Active Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Wellington
    True I forgot about the A330-200 transferred to JQ. As these birds were de-rated and without a lot of costs to re-fit them to take Skybeds Mk 1 or 2, they will either go to long domestic ops or be sold off.
    The reason I see the 787 go to the international fleet first, they will get the most benefit for fuel economy, better product offering to match competitors. The 767 will go to domestic as the fuel usage factor will be less and to use up the number of cycles left in the frame.

9. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    yes indeed. I think the 763s will see out their life in the same way as the 762s did. And unfortunately they are likely to end up in similar interior condition as the last years of the 762 life.

When the ex AO 763s are being converted back to QF mainline domestic op config (Millenium seats), are they getting a general spruce up as well?

10. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    There is a plus to the 763's on domestic ops. They have more overhead locker space per passenger than other aircraft.

11. mstyson

mstyson Junior Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Launceston, Tasmania
    JetStar on long haul to Europe. Yuck! Whatever the price.

12. Platy

Platy Guest

#12 Platy, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2008
    Ah, dunno if this problem has been fixed now, BUT, original A330-200s did not have strong enough floors for Skybeds. Major QF F**k up at the time and a reason to dump the lowly birds onto Deathstar...

13. Platy

Platy Guest

Yes, indeed, a meaningless statistic!!!

You really gotta wonder if the loopy leprechaun believes his own hype. I mean, what are we talking about here, the catering, the fuel burn, the maintenance, what exactly? Suppose Qf was given the brand spanking new fuel efficient, low maintenace 787s out of Seattle, instead of struggling along with creaky antique 767s???

You also gtta wonder how these journalists manage to publish the QF/Deathstar PR press release without any critical question or evaluation.

QF share holders MUST be getting fed up of being taken for fools...surely?

Or are the shareholders that stupid too?! :p

14. clifford

clifford Established Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Canberra / London
    Talking of loopy leprechauns, I don't think Joyce is in the same league as Michael O'Leary.

15. Platy

Platy Guest

#15 Platy, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2008
    Oh, Clifford, please don't tempt fate! We really don't want Floresian Fop believing he's O'Leary as well as believing as his own marketing hype!!!

(PS did I read somewhere that Ryan is primed to go Transatlantic?)

16. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    If the starclass price is good, then could be a pretty decent choice especially for those that want to go to those areas in Europe that QF doesn't go to without having to go all the way to london and connect back

Dave

17. moa999

moa999 Senior Member

Jun 23, 2003
    Sydney
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Interestingly Jetstar seems (at least in the press) to be having some issues with Jetstar Pacific (Vietnam).

Blocked on getting new International routes
    Told it has to find a new logo - apparently they only registered the name Jetstar Pacific, and they have now decided the logo is too similar too Jetstar Asia... duh
    But then, an arm of the Vietnam Govt wants to increase allowable foreign stake to 49%

Jetstar Pacific - Google News

Methinks some negotiations going on, Vietnam style

18. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Actually, it was not quite that straight forward, there was a stuff-up at the time, but it was not to do with weak floors and/or Skybeds:
    • Qantas originally purchased the 332's for domestic operations - generally the MEL/SYD/BNE triangle. (At the same time, the 333's were purchased for international operations.)
    • These were never purchased to bear SkyBeds (nor indeed Dreamtime seats). Millennium seating fitted fine.
    • Once operational, it turned out that the 332's could not be refuelled quickly enough for the envisaged high frequency use, making efficient turnaround impossible on the MEL/SYD/BNE routes. (This was where the "Major QF F**k up at the time" occurred.)
    • As a result Qantas decided to use them more on the longer haul domestic destinations like CNS and PER.
    • When JQi was conceived, the 332's were a very good fit for the proposed model, so Qantas passed them over to Jetstar.
    • The plan was then (and still is) to replace them with 787's - this should have started by now, but of course, the Dreamliner is at least two years behind schedule.
    • Note the recent 332's obtained by Qantas came at a very reduced price from Airbus as part compensation for the A380 delays.

19. medhead

medhead Suspended

Feb 13, 2008
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    This is exactly what I'm waiting for! starclass supposedly priced at the QF full economy fare, so about $3000 to europe (hopefully MUC) with business points earn. :D [/fingers crossed]

20. ANstar

ANstar Active Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Sydney
    Given they price the Japanese routes close to $3k return for STAR class, I reckon Europe will be a bit more $$$$ prob more like 4k