Jetstar recalls Ansett's air force

Discussion in 'Jetstar' started by Yada Yada, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    While many of us are concerned about the impact of JQ, I guess it is a good opportunity for ex-AN pilots to come home.

Regarding the last few paragraphs of this story, does anyone know which QF routes will lose the A330's that will be moved over to JQ?

2. cssaus

cssaus Active Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Sydney
    knowing Jetstar's agenda to be an extremely low cost carrier I wonder if the salary and conditions are going to equal or surpass those being offered by the many carriers that these former Ansett pilots are now working for.

3. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    All the QF domestic routes currently operated by A330-200 aircraft. Its only the -200s that are going to JQ, and as they will all be going, that measn no more A330-200 QF domestic services. The A330-300's will remain with mainline.

So I guess that means SYD-MEL, SYD-PER, MEL-PER, BNE-PER, SYD-CNS and possibly others.

4. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    So what will they use on those services in lieu, e.g. SYD & MEL-PER? The ex AO 767's?

5. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    QF has extended the leases on the BA 767s to cover the changes.

6. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I believe there are some more 738's due before October. And of course some of the slack will be picked up by JQ's domestic A320s.

The AO 767's will be required to continue the services that are currently AO routes under the QF mainline colours.

7. Wunala Dreaming

Mar 14, 2006
    Brisbane
    743s will be operating SYD-PER-SYD services for the foreseeable future. Remember QF will also take delivery of 5 more 73Hs over the next year or two.

Note that you'll find that the 5 ex-AO 763s will be flat out covering AO's old routes, although don't be surprised if a few of the 763s operate the odd domestic sector.

8. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    Thanks for the info, guys. I like the A330's on the SYD-PER-SYD route. They're quieter and the Y seats are comfortable and in a good configuration. I've resolved to avoid flying 737's to PER if I can. :)

I guess a 747 would be better than a 737 but the seat config in Y won't be as pleasant as an A330. :cry:

9. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    Follow up story. The QF pilots are not happy.

10. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    They need something bigger than the 767's on SYD-PER, or they will need to add an additional flight (hint to QF: something leaving PER about 2p.m. would be cool)

11. bambbbam2

bambbbam2 Active Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Perth, WA
    Well they *would* say that, wouldn't they? :?

12. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    Pilot ire as outsiders apply for Jetstar jobs

Here is a follow up story on JQ's crew recruitment.

13. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    The unions have missed the point of a LCC starting operstions. Jetstar's intention is to lower costs so they will be looking for people who are prepared to work for 25-40% less than currently paid QF staff. Can't survive providing lower airfares than QF and still pay staff the same wages!

Interesting to read they are seeking codeshare arrangements with other Asian carriers. Is it really necessary if the intention is to keep fares low? Price fixing would be a very good reason to seek codeshare arrangements.