Jestar tackles tiger, more 743's on QF perth route

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by markis10, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    Hmm

Looks like Tiger want to move into WA in a big way, and QF is going to react:

Jetstar tackles a Tiger | NEWS.com.au Business

JETSTAR will add planes to its domestic fleet and expand operations in Western Australia amid speculation of a home-turf challenge from Singapore-backed Tiger Airways.
    The Qantas offshoot has also targeted Korea and Taiwan as its next overseas destinations and has not ruled out more wide-body aircraft to service the routes before the arrival of its first Boeing 787s next year.
    Tiger is expected to announce an Australian investment tomorrow, possibly involving a link with Perth-based Skywest Airlines that would see Tiger-branded A320s operating from the Western Australian capital.
    Aviation sources speculated yesterday that Tiger would use Skywest to put Airbus A320s on the Australian market, amid rumours it was seeking to operate from Perth to the eastern states as well as on the "golden triangle" of Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne.
    If that proves correct, the airline will face more than a bigger Jetstar presence: Qantas is considering transferring more Boeing 747-300 jumbo jets to its Sydney-Perth Cityflyer service........

2. N860CR

N860CR Established Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Brisbane & Sydney
    Virgin, Qantas, Jetstar.... Tiger?

Jetstar grows to tackle a Tiger | Aviation | The Australian

News has come that TR are apparantly interested in operating Australian domestic services, with a possible Sky-West connection (not too much of a secret there). Could prove to be very interesting. DJ have well and truely moved on from the LCC model, and JQ have moved up from it for a little so I'd imagine TR are looking at a barebones style LCC (as they're SIN based services are). They certainly do a good job at keeping costs down, so they could prove to be a real threat.

On a side note, if they were to operate under the Sky-West AOC however in Tiger colours, in theory could they not operate SYD-LAX in the same manner? Perhaps this could be in the back of their minds (and SQ's), with the realisation that the Australian Government isn't going to budge on their AUS-USA policy.

3. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Re: Virgin, Qantas, Jetstar.... Tiger?

already discussed and again here

hmmm - don't think we need 3 posts of the same news article

4. N860CR

Nov 30, 2004
    Brisbane & Sydney

Then be rid of it. Other two must not have been on the front page at the time I checked.

5. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    WHile I expect that the golden triangle is the main game, they would probably need to tie up with Skywest to be able to fly domestically (and whatever happened to the 5 A320's that Skywest were alleged to be getting, and was that all part of the plan). Might be some interesting times ahead for Perth folk.

6. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map

Two of the three threads have now been merged. Thanks for highlighting. I will leave the "Jetstar In The News" as that thread is not just about this specific topic.

Please continue discussion about this topic in this merged thread.

7. SeaWolf

SeaWolf Active Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Sydney
    I really hope so, it's expensive flying anywhere from way out west here and hopefully this will drive the prices down a bit.
    Tiger is offering return PER-SIN for around $550 - $600, while QANTAS and Singapore Air are asking around $1000. Hopefully with JetStar jumping in as well it'll help drive the costs down even further.

8. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Qantas have PER-SIN return going for $631 in May. So they have reacted albeit in a small way.

9. Standby

Standby Active Member

May 25, 2006
    So tiger has A320s with 180 seats (even more than JQ) unallocated seating,
    15kg baggage limit and 5 KG handbaggae limit and pay for everything ,including yr not allowed to bring yr food onboard.Makes JQ look HIGH CLASS.Tiger use standard Navitaire systems like most LCCs not good for doing business with business (thats why DJ moved away)
    if 5 acrft is still th drill realistically they come in and attack the mining fly-in flyout business...there is NO accom at any minesite left in WA its cheaper to fly people out than let them live there easy money from very rich mutinationals without mixing it with established players..look to see them undercut QF in WA during the day and fly Eastwest keeps uti;lization up and a good additional rev steam.DJ have basically left WA and the NT to QF with their lack of freq so DJ is under threat on any eastcoast flying ex PER if they do give it a go
    Its nice to say the goldent triangleis on the agenda but they just wont get a look in with the business market as they wont have the Freq/lounges FF programs that QF/DJ do...depending on leisure to turn a buck good luck...ask O7,Implulse,Compass 1&2.
    More interesting times as someone else thinks they have a business plan that will break the duopoly ...QF/AN..QF/DJ...it could end in tears.
    Also the comment use skywest to access US as a defacto SQ is fanciful stuff.
    The time it would take to 1/ get the rights 2/ get the aircraft 3/get meaningfuul frequency to again take the corp business away from QF/and eventually JQ or UA/NZ with star alliance is a nice way to P*ss a great deal of money down the toilet in a very short time
    having said all that commonsense and normal business principles dosent seem to apply when discussing airlines

10. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #10 serfty, Feb 8, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
    How about SIN-PER-SIN for SG$621 ... that's AU$540 ... on QF!

11. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    SIN-PER-SIN has long been cheaper than PER-SIN-PER. No-one has ever really given me much of an explanation as to why. But I know people that have to travel to SIN regularly often have a PER-SIN-PER with the return journey much later and nest SIN-PER-SIN trips in the middle of it.

12. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I don't travel that regularly but I purchase my flights from SIN as well as they are much cheaper. The last one was SIN-PER-SYD-PER-SIN with the return trip SYD-PER-SIN to be taken in April.

13. N860CR

Nov 30, 2004
    Brisbane & Sydney
  14. SeaWolf

SeaWolf Active Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Sydney
    So much for the speculation about a link with SkyWest though:
    Tiger to take on Jetstar - Business - Business - smh.com.au

15. Keith009

Keith009 Established Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Brisbane / Sydney
    Wow they've moved fast.

In related news, the Australian government is set to pass a bill that allows foreign carriers carbotage rights on transcontinental domestic routes.

16. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Interesting to see the bit about focusing on regional routes. They have ertainly got a lot of work in front of them to make this work!

17. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
  18. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    An interesting list available from their listbox. I wonder how many people will vote for Parburdoo or Horn Island?

19. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    From smh this afternoon
    Hmm...what milestone is it today.... Is it the Tiger airways launch day

Air far war two-for-one offer - Business - Business - smh.com.au

Dave

20. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I would say it was pure coincidence re the timing of these things.