Iran firing off SAMs [effect on routes?] | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Iran firing off SAMs [effect on routes?]

offshore171

Flights
My Map
So Iran shot off a surface to air missile into busy commercial airspace over the Persian gulf.

Given the MH17 case, this is obviously a concern if it continues.

The FAA has now made set some airspace restrictions, applicable only to US carriers, but you can see others following suit:

US aviation authority issues order prohibiting flights over some Iran-controlled airspace

If this gets worse and the exclusion zone gets larger, and applies to more carriers, it's potentially going to have a big impact on the major ME3 airlines.

Franky

Established Member
Flights
My Map
So Iran shot off a surface to air missile into busy commercial airspace over the Persian gulf.

Given the MH17 case, this is obviously a concern if it continues.

The FAA has now made set some airspace restrictions, applicable only to US carriers, but you can see others following suit:

US aviation authority issues order prohibiting flights over some Iran-controlled airspace

If this gets worse and the exclusion zone gets larger, and applies to more carriers, it's potentially going to have a big impact on the major ME3 airlines.
Most things that Iran does is a concern to me.

offshore171

Flights
My Map

offshore171

Flights
My Map
Yeah routes from SEA look like they might get impacted. North east Asia might be ok though. Doesn’t JAL fly over the arctic to Europe? And from memory flights out of HK go over Russia.

p--and--t

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Trump doesn't bother me at all, but the fact that Iran is the biggest exporter of terrorism going around does.
I hear you, but along similar lines wasn't al-Qaeda specifically created by the US military (before they lost control and took off on its own)

ric_melb

An interesting fact I heard on radio this afternoon was that this drone costs about $120 million.
Would have added to the annoyance of the United States.

kookaburra75

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
Flights
My Map
I hear you, but along similar lines wasn't al-Qaeda specifically created by the US military (before they lost control and took off on its own)
No way - they were Osama bin Laden's creation going back a long way...
I think you're thinking about the Taliban - who were supported by the US against the Russian occupation of Afghanistan

drron

Enthusiast
The thing that worries me with the problems in the gulf is that Australia has only 55 days of petroleum reserves.Equivalent to 34 days of those are kept offshore.I believe the position of Avgas is slightly less reserves.We are truly exposed.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samf111