How tight are AMEX on the annual income limits for Plat Charge Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I'd like to apply for the Plat Charge Card but am about $15,000 short of the required $100,000 annual income. My souse earns about 60,000 PA however so for a combined income we're well over. Are AMEX likely to entertain my application? I'd really like to get stuck into 80,000 bonus points!

Cheers,

Hey guys,

I'd like to apply for the Plat Charge Card but am about $15,000 short of the required $100,000 annual income. My souse earns about 60,000 PA however so for a combined income we're well over. Are AMEX likely to entertain my application? I'd really like to get stuck into 80,000 bonus points!

Cheers,

I think you can't hurt to apply, and I'm happy to send you an Amex invite so I can get 40k of points too!! :mrgreen:

You will get knocked back, and then have an enquiry on your Credit File and a Decline on your Amex file. I would be inclined to ring Amex and ask the question before applying.

You will get knocked back, and then have an enquiry on your Credit File and a Decline on your Amex file. I would be inclined to ring Amex and ask the question before applying.

I didn't have the required salary when I applied and still got it...

If you already are a client of Amex, they might, but call them first.

If you are new to Amex, then might be an issue,

I just applied for the Plat Amex, I have been with Amex for 8 yrs, they don't count bonuses only your actual salary I was just short and got knocked back this week...

Thanks for the replies guys - very different experiences it seems.

I suppose it doesn't hurt to call them and ask. I've had an AMEX card in some incarnation since 2006 so its not like I'm a really long time customer. I'll give them a call on Monday and see what they say.

I'd apply online however I do worry about getting some sort of black mark against my credit rating. Is this realistic?

Thanks for the replies guys - very different experiences it seems.

I suppose it doesn't hurt to call them and ask. I've had an AMEX card in some incarnation since 2006 so its not like I'm a really long time customer. I'll give them a call on Monday and see what they say.

I'd apply online however I do worry about getting some sort of black mark against my credit rating. Is this realistic?

Call them first and ask.

Hey guys,

Cheers,

Freudian slip? :p or maybe something about your spouse you want to change?
Hopefully you get lots of EDR bonuses and subsequent points to support the habit.

My salary was somewhat under the $100,000 mark when AMEX sent me an inviate for a Plat Charge Card a few years ago. I'd been a member since 2006 as well and I guess they were happy with how much I was putting through the card even with the salary short of the mark. So really does seem to be on a case by case basis.

Interesting.

I called AMEX today and was told my people in the new cards department that if I apply online I would probably be automatically rejected by the system, however in some circumstances they (AMEX) could manually approve it. However she did say that the problem with doing this is that if I am not manually approved, I'm left with a black mark against my name for the declined card...

I'll give it some thought first I think..

Cheers,

However she did say that the problem with doing this is that if I am not manually approved, I'm left with a black mark against my name for the declined card...

There are no black marks in Australia... only that you applied for credit, and the name of the institution. There is no record of whether it was approved, the credit limit or anything else.

Check your own credit rating to confirm.

Veda advantage. Google it. It's free to get it by post in 10 days or a fee to get it online straight away.

It's a good idea to sign up to the annual service.

Most banks and credit card providers use Veda. DNB is primarily business to business use.

There are probably exceptions in both cases but mostly as above.

I too wondered the same thing when I was earning a little under the required amount and called them to discuss. They were prepared to indicate that because I had an existing Amex issued card in good standing that my chance of being approved was high.

My income was higher than your current income however, but was still less than their advertised minimum.

I've always found that an open, honest conversation with Amex is quite useful - I've given feedback, asked when things are getting released, inquired about this card before I was technically eligible etc etc and they (across cards, travel, concierge and international money transfers) have always been very good in sharing information where they actually know or can do something.

If I put my bank-insider hat on for a moment I will comment to agree with those that have mentioned that in Australia your credit file only indicates that you have applied for credit.

The only time I'm aware of this being a bad thing is if you apply for a series of credit products in a row the third or fourth ones (as an example) will look at the fact you've had a series of credit inquiries in a short period of time and may make an assumption that you are desperate for credit and will knock you back.

Hey guys,

Cheers,

Increase your spend on the existing card , by that I mean use it for literally everything possible. If you are using and paying on time they seem to take that into consideration. The other option is to just say you earn 100k. Pa. bear in mind " income" in to country also includes SG ( superannuation) because as originally enshrined in the establishment of legislation is the point that super is in fact deferred income. So you must be getting very close to $100k.

If it doesn't matter if you win or lose.......How come they keep score?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back