How much (if any) will you pay for points on CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

pax1a

Hi,
Many merchants will charge you form 1% to 3% for large ticket purchases if you want to use CC.

I'm about to buy a large ticket item $50k and the merchant wants 1.5% if I use citibank MC, so it's $750 for 50,000 points.

Do you pay extra just to get the points, if so what's your % limit.

pax

I'd say that's not a particually good deal. I base the value of points on what I'd be using them for. Most (pretty much all) of my points are used for return economy tickets from SYD to SIN or BKK. To buy those costs about $1000 (give or take), however using points it's 60,000 plus $300 taxes, hence the value to me of the 60,000 points is $700 approx. Therefore I'd say to spend $750 to get just 50,000 points is poor economy.

Then again, an upgrade from discount economy to J SYD-BKK costs 40K points, but may have a value based on airfare difference of at least $1½K.

I rarely will use my Amex if there is a surcharge. Potentially a false economy - but I only earn half the points on AAdvantage and if transferring to QF they are only used to UG J->F which is a bit of a luxury for me alone and mrssimongr doesnt benefit from it at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back