How long did Qantas take to process your refund for cancelled flights? | Page 3 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

How long did Qantas take to process your refund for cancelled flights?

How long did Qantas take to refund your cancelled flights?

• Less than 4 weeks

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • 5 weeks

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 6 weeks

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • 7 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 weeks

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • 9 weeks

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • 10 weeks

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • 11 weeks

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • 12 weeks

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • more than 12 weeks

Votes: 18 33.3%

• Total voters

DC3

Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
.... It would not surprise me if the lengthy delays in arranging for refunds represent part of a deliberate strategy to hold on to cash for as long as possible to sure up Qantas' financial position ...
Oh, surely not. 😉

Berlin

Established Member
The refund situation is obviously purposeful and systematic, on a global level. I am hearing some much worse stories from some overseas carriers (Finnair, Lufthansa and so on) but also some surprisingly positive reports about others (Easyjet, funnily). Qantas seems to be 'just' half bad in their endless delays. Not a happy time for air travelers right now :confused:

Flights
My Map
I called up a couple of days ago to get a refund on my cancelled QF flight. The customer services agent said there would be a minimum of 12 weeks before getting the refund. On asking why so long, she replied that the staff needed to be paid first! Liked her honesty!

MEL_Traveller

Enthusiast
Got my refund at 8 weeks... but minus the credit card fee.

What's the scoop on that? I can't remember is the consensus was that we should get that back... and through the bank or from QF?

Daver6

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Got my refund at 8 weeks... but minus the credit card fee.

What's the scoop on that? I can't remember is the consensus was that we should get that back... and through the bank or from QF?
You should get it back from QF. They're the ones who charged it, not the credit card company.

bsb

I’m now at 16 weeks and no refund. I booked via a TA and QF won’t talk to me. I find this unacceptable. Am I being unreasonable? What would you do? I have 3 bookings in total worth over $10k and I didn’t sign up to be a financier for QF so I’m slightly annoyed.

Scr77

It‘s fair enough that you’re annoyed. But, your beef is with the TA. It’s possible that QF have made the refund and the TA is not passing it on.

Reactions: DC3

sanne

After about 16 weeks of endless phone calls and emails to QF and Amex, I finally received my refund via a charge back from Amex. Sometimes that is the only route. Used it to receive refund for cruise too after endless waiting and excuses.

Daver6

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I’m now at 16 weeks and no refund. I booked via a TA and QF won’t talk to me. I find this unacceptable. Am I being unreasonable? What would you do? I have 3 bookings in total worth over $10k and I didn’t sign up to be a financier for QF so I’m slightly annoyed.
Totally unacceptable. I'd call the travel agent. Tell them their problem getting the money out of QF isn't your problem. Inform that that if they don't refund you in x days you'll initiate a credit card charge back.

NM

Enthusiast
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I am now only waiting for one more refund from QF. I have received refunds for:
  • Paid (I-Class) fare BNE-AKL - 3 weeks
  • 2 x FF Classic Awards BNE-AKL (less $3.00) - $ 4 weeks, points 3 weeks
  • 1 x FF Classic Award MEL-BNE (less $0.40) - $ 4 weeks, points 5 weeks

Still waiting for:
  • Paid (I-Class) fare AKL-MEL - 5 weeks

All 4 refunds were initiated on the same phone call. AKL-MEL was charged in NZD, so perhaps they are waiting for a more favourable exchange rate before processing?

Guang

I called up a couple of days ago to get a refund on my cancelled QF flight. The customer services agent said there would be a minimum of 12 weeks before getting the refund. On asking why so long, she replied that the staff needed to be paid first! Liked her honesty!

we've been waiting for 4 months, still ringing, still waiting.....

Daver6

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
I've mentioned this in another thread, but if you've been waiting more than 8 weeks for a refund, you can call Qantas and their policy is to expedite it.
The problem is when you haven't booked directly with QF, QF won't deal with you. Travel agents (in my case Amex travel) say that Qantas says its 12 weeks...and now I'm being told 3 months. They just make it up as they go along.

Leigh744

Intern
Qantas
Bronze
Not sure if the right thread or not! Booked my Qantas flights through Amex Travel and received the refund today (refund dated 24/7), nearly 6 weeks after requesting the cancellation. Haven't received my $450 travel credit back yet though.

Daver6

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Not sure if the right thread or not! Booked my Qantas flights through Amex Travel and received the refund today (refund dated 24/7), nearly 6 weeks after requesting the cancellation. Haven't received my $450 travel credit back yet though.
Firstly, that's very speed. Took 12+ weeks for me. Then another 5 business days for the travel credit to appear. If it's been more than 5 days, follow it up with them.

Maca44

Established Member
QF points returned to account within a week for flights SYD-HND-SEA, but it's been 10 weeks now, and still no return of taxes etc.
I received a 'partial' refund (less AUD$390) for flights booked direct with JAL for YVR-NRT-HND-SYD in J, and although they indicated on their site there would be no cancellation fee I guess they forgot about me. Will have to vote when I receive the taxes from QF.

Revenge

Intern
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Silver
Flights
My Map
On 15 July I booked some classic reward seats BNE-CNS for 31 July. Cancelled them about a week before travel and still waiting for points refund. Which is frustrating because I want to rebook for September but don't have the points in the account. Should have done a change instead of a cancellation.

It didn't occur to me that it would take so long because normally points are refunded quite quickly and there was this whole splash about extra flexibility for reward bookings. :(

Booking with points just got more flexible
Cancel or change your booking without a fee until 31 October 2020.
With Australian domestic and trans-Tasman travel restrictions beginning to ease, the time to turn travel dreams into travel plans is here. And we’re making it easier to get started with more flexibility on Classic Flight Reward seats.*
When you use Qantas Points to book a Classic Flight Reward seat on any Qantas or Jetstar flight, you'll be able to change the date or cancel your booking, free of charge until 31 October 2020.^ That's for Classic Reward bookings for travel up to a year away.
So whether you’re looking to travel soon or down the track, Classic Flight Reward seats across Australia are available to be booked - including school holidays and Christmas.
Need more information? See our Frequently Asked Questions.
This is all part of our Fly Flexible conditions we've introduced to give our customers certainty and to provide greater flexibility for both Reward Seats and regular bookings.

Revenge

Intern
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Silver
Flights
My Map
On 15 July I booked some classic reward seats BNE-CNS for 31 July. Cancelled them about a week before travel and still waiting for points refund. Which is frustrating because I want to rebook for September but don't have the points in the account. Should have done a change instead of a cancellation.

It didn't occur to me that it would take so long because normally points are refunded quite quickly and there was this whole splash about extra flexibility for reward bookings. :(
OK I have an update on this. I wrote to Qantas via the Complaints form in the Frequent Flyer category. And they actually responded within a day saying they've now processed the refund:

Dear Mr [Revenge]

We are writing regarding your Classic Awards booking with reference XXXXXX.

The refund of your Qantas Points and tax for this booking has been processed and should appear on your account today.

Understanding the volume which we are seeing, we have acted on the demands and have added additional staff to help work on the refunds and credits so we can process them as quickly as we can.

If you are waiting on other seperate [sic] bookings to be refunded, please note that the team will not be able to process them at the same time. Depending on the type of request received, it is possible they will be actioned by different dedicated teams.

If you have not yet received a refund for these charges, we ask for your patience and can reassure you that all refunds that will need to be made will be processed.

We thank you for your continued loyalty during this time. We appreciate your patience as we continue to work and meet all requests that we are receiving.

We welcome your feedback. For us to improve our service, please complete our customer feedback survey via qantas.com/QantasEmailSurvey *

We look forward to welcoming you on board again soon when we can.
I'm impressed (although the points are yet to appear).

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picturerestoration