How does a pilot miss an entire airport? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

How does a pilot miss an entire airport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyB

Intern
I am not a pilot but I would have thought it wasn't that hard to find the actual airport? This fortunately turned out ok, but I imagine the outcome could have been a disaster :shock:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18661747%5E29677,00.html

IT was Ryanair that pioneered the art of flying passengers to some far-flung airfields and telling them they had arrived in one of Europe's loveliest cities.

So it should have come as no surprise to travellers on board Flight 9884 from Liverpool to Derry, in Northern Ireland, when they landed not in the city but Ballykelly Camp instead - an army airfield 8km away.

Ryanair passengers are also accustomed to not having an air-bridge to get them inside the terminal, but in this case they didn't even have any steps to get them off the jet. Luckily, the flight's original destination was close enough for ground staff to bring the steps by road to the army base.

Britain's Civil Aviation Authority began an investigation on Wednesday into how the civilian Airbus carrying 39 passengers and six crew touched down at the virtually disused base, better known as Shackleton Barracks, outside Derry.
[/url]

clifford

AFF Supporter
TonyB said:
I am not a pilot but I would have thought it wasn't that hard to find the actual airport? This fortunately turned out ok, but I imagine the outcome could have been a disaster :shock:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18661747%5E29677,00.html

IT was Ryanair that pioneered the art of flying passengers to some far-flung airfields and telling them they had arrived in one of Europe's loveliest cities.

So it should have come as no surprise to travellers on board Flight 9884 from Liverpool to Derry, in Northern Ireland, when they landed not in the city but Ballykelly Camp instead - an army airfield 8km away.

Ryanair passengers are also accustomed to not having an air-bridge to get them inside the terminal, but in this case they didn't even have any steps to get them off the jet. Luckily, the flight's original destination was close enough for ground staff to bring the steps by road to the army base.

Britain's Civil Aviation Authority began an investigation on Wednesday into how the civilian Airbus carrying 39 passengers and six crew touched down at the virtually disused base, better known as Shackleton Barracks, outside Derry.
[/url]
Hey Tony B,

I am a pilot and it's really not that difficult to do.

Don't tell me, you've never taken a wrong turn when driving your car.

TonyB

Intern
Hi Clifford,

Please tell me you rely on more than a street directory? :D I have kinda been putting some faith in what I had hoped was some fairly advanced navigational equipment, especailly when a $40 GPS can get me to within a couple of metres of where I want to go.

Having said that, I do appreciate that people make mistakes (I would just prefer to think of the captain of a commercial aircraft as a little more infallable than most - at least when it comes to landing :wink: )

markis10

Veteran Member
The running rabit strobe lights in Melbourne were put in after a few airliners tried to land at Essendon rather than tulla.

TonyB

Intern
It is probably only a matter of time before someone attempts to land on Coronation drive in Brisbane after the addition of what almost looks like runway lighting at night.

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I think you will find that things like this happen more than you think. Certainly I have read various stories of planes lined up to land at the wrong airport, but someone notices before things go really wrong.

You need to understand, people make mistakes, and most of the time they are picked up and corrected before anything terribly bad happens.

In this case, I am sure the ivestigation will result in some actions to help ensure it doesn;t happen again.

NM

Flights
My Map
TonyB said:
... especailly when a $40 GPS can get me to within a couple of metres of where I want to go.
Please tell me where I can get one of those $40 GPS things. All that I have seen, especially any that are WAAS capable (needed for accuracy down to a couple of metres, but only works in North America, EGNOS now available in UK) are way more expensive than $40.

JohnK

AFF Supporter
clifford said:
Don't tell me, you've never taken a wrong turn when driving your car.
Many wrong turns but always end up at the desired destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Louise Hepplewhite