How do you know SC earn before international booking

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by rpmsol, Jul 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. rpmsol

rpmsol Intern

Jun 11, 2006
    It is easy to know what ones SC earn will be on Qantas Domestic, but I am having trouble determining if a fare is FULL ECONOMY or DISCOUNT ECONOMY for internation travel.

I have searched but not yet found answers to this question in this forum. My apologies (if answers are already posted) for not searching better before I asked.

For example, MEL-AKL is listed on web site as FULLY FLEXIBLE, is the most expensive fare before going to business class, but shows as DISCOUNT ECONOMY when clicking on the 'Fully Flexible' link above the prices on the web page.

Even if I start to buy the tickets online, the flight conditions state that the fare is discount economy wrt status credit earn.

Is fully flexible = full economy for AUS-NZ travel on Qantas?

How do I determine the status credit earn before I buy?

Thanks very much,
    Paul.

2. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Fairly simple really -Full earning Intl Econ tickets can't be bought from the Qantas website!

To get "Economy" SC earn, you need to buy Y fare class tickets. These are normally very expensive compared to other economy tickets.

Qantas telesales, travel agents and other booking sites will be able to help here.

3. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Since only full economy earns economy SCs for international (and NZ domestic grrrrrrr) it is generally safe to assume that anything booked on the website earns only discount economy SCs.

4. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #4 Mal, Jul 2, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
    Oh, and as some examples of the cheapest "Y " return fares available (Random date in Sept) for QF:

MEL-AKL $1876.00 ++ (Plus Fuel fines, taxes, Qantas credit card fees etc)
    SYD-WLG $1632.00 ++
    SYD-LAX $7362.00 ++
    SYD-BKK $1656.00 ++
    SYD-SIN $1544.00 ++
    SYD-LON $3230.00 ++

So definately not particularly cheap compared to other fares!