How do I pay my credit card bills from overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great Dane

If I have a credit card, say Visa in Australia, but spend most of my time in Denmark, how do I transfer money to pay my visa bills, without being slapped with a major fee.

Hi,

I am in a similar situation - Australian living in the US. There are several possibilities - all helped immensely if you have an Australian bank account.

>Bank with a multinational like Citibank that lets you do lower cost wire transfers to other Citi accounts.

>Use PayPal or similar online service to transfer money from one card to another (note there are really specific rules and you will have to do it as a cash advance on the outgoing card).

>Put a chunk of money in an Australian Bank account and just BPay or internet transfer it from one account to another ** this is cheapest option if you can afford it.

>Stop using your Australian cards as soon as you can get a local card (Maybe an SAS one ;) )

Hope this helps.

I agree with Andrew. Get a local card ASAP if your spending money on a AUS CC. With the International fee + the hassle of trying to pay every month, without an Australian income , creates more problems and head aches.

As an Aussie in the US as well, the only way we could get a US CC in the first 1-2 years was to get a secured Visa card. Meaning you have the money in the bank, and they allow you to use the card up to the limit to whats in the account. Bit silly, but this allows you to get a credit history, then unsecured cards become available. Not sure how credit works in Denmark, but im sure they would offer something similar.

Rob

Well thank you for answering, but the whole point of the exercise it that danish credit cards dont do points - Diner Club does, if you use it out side of Denmark, but not in the country and as im seeting up a bussines that is going to be spending money in Oz I thought I might as well get some milage out of it, useing my credit card to do the bying. That however precends the former mentioned problem of paying off the bill. I can get an accound with an Australian bank, but I dont think any of the bankes here have brances in Denmark sooo....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back