How do I pay my credit card bills from overseas? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

How do I pay my credit card bills from overseas?

Not open for further replies.

Great Dane

Jun 1, 2006
If I have a credit card, say Visa in Australia, but spend most of my time in Denmark, how do I transfer money to pay my visa bills, without being slapped with a major fee.


Active Member
Dec 13, 2004
BPAY is fine providing you have an Australian bank account.


Junior Member
Jun 20, 2005

I am in a similar situation - Australian living in the US. There are several possibilities - all helped immensely if you have an Australian bank account.

>Bank with a multinational like Citibank that lets you do lower cost wire transfers to other Citi accounts.

>Use PayPal or similar online service to transfer money from one card to another (note there are really specific rules and you will have to do it as a cash advance on the outgoing card).

>Put a chunk of money in an Australian Bank account and just BPay or internet transfer it from one account to another ** this is cheapest option if you can afford it.

>Stop using your Australian cards as soon as you can get a local card (Maybe an SAS one ;) )

Hope this helps.


Sep 15, 2005
I agree with Andrew. Get a local card ASAP if your spending money on a AUS CC. With the International fee + the hassle of trying to pay every month, without an Australian income , creates more problems and head aches.

As an Aussie in the US as well, the only way we could get a US CC in the first 1-2 years was to get a secured Visa card. Meaning you have the money in the bank, and they allow you to use the card up to the limit to whats in the account. Bit silly, but this allows you to get a credit history, then unsecured cards become available. Not sure how credit works in Denmark, but im sure they would offer something similar.


Great Dane

Jun 1, 2006
Well thank you for answering, but the whole point of the exercise it that danish credit cards dont do points - Diner Club does, if you use it out side of Denmark, but not in the country and as im seeting up a bussines that is going to be spending money in Oz I thought I might as well get some milage out of it, useing my credit card to do the bying. That however precends the former mentioned problem of paying off the bill. I can get an accound with an Australian bank, but I dont think any of the bankes here have brances in Denmark sooo....
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Latest member