"Horror" BA Flight from SYD

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by bambbbam2, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. bambbbam2

bambbbam2 Active Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Perth, WA
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/horror-ba-flight-from-sydney/2006/04/17/1145126034412.html

A British Airways passenger jet was forced to make an emergency landing at an airport in Kazakhstan following a false alarm, officials said on Sunday.

The Boeing 747 had been en route to London from Sydney on Saturday, when a fire warning light activated in the cockpit.
    ...The airport lacked stairs tall enough to reach the jet, forcing passengers to re-board by stepping onto the roof of an airport vehicle and then onto a stairway (!)

2. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Not sure I would describe this as 'horror'.

3. Sounds like quite an adventure to me!

4. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    Must be a slow news day, hardly a horror flight after all, wonder how the frequent flyer points pan out though?

5. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I take my hat off to BA for the way they handled the situation. Although the passengers were significantly delayed, and probably scared at times, and finished their flight on an A320 or 767 aircraft instead of a 744, the BA captain made the right decision with the right execution. And then the company did a great job of getting the passengers to their final destination as quickly as practical.

6. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    They should receive the original FFP's and credits to their nominated FFP. They may also receive some recompense from BA. Will be interesting to see how is pans out.

Quote from a BA employee at LHR's T4 (quoted from the Flyertalk BA Forum, taken from another flying website):

7. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I agree.

In a similar situation, I wonder how other airlines would cope... including my two favourites.