Hong Kong Hotel | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Hong Kong Hotel

Status
Not open for further replies.

cssaus

Active Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
928
Anyone had any experience at staying at Express by Holiday Inn in Causeway Bay HK?

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/1/en/hd/hkgcw

Looking at the wb site it seems very new and also seems to have a very attractive rate (especially for HK) of about $HK880 per nite.

I usually stay at the renaissance Harbour View at Wanchai which is not far away but the rate is considerably more expensive $HK1800 per nite.
 

HardieBoys

Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2003
Messages
411
Never stayed there, but I stay in Causeway Bay when in HK. The location seems good, and it's almost on top of the Causeway Bay MTR. The rate seems very reasonable. Interestingly, the hotel website lists Hung Hom as a nearby railway station - despite it being 3 km across the harbour!
 

cssaus

Active Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
928
I've taken the plunge and booked in for 3 nites in March at a rate of $HK880 per nite including b'fast.

The rate is quite reasonable by HK standards and from what I can tell it's only been open a couple of months.

I'l post my opinion after my stay.
 

JamesF

Intern
Joined
Apr 15, 2005
Messages
62
Gday cssaus,

I remember reading a few peoples comments on Flyertalk (Priority Club Forum) so maybe have a look through there. They were all pretty positive. I think the hotel has only been open for a few months.

If its anything like the HI Express' here in the US or in the UK, they will be neat, clean and functional. Good choice I'd say, especially if the location is good, as HardieBoys said.

enjoy your trip

cheers
james
 

cssaus

Active Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
928
Hi James,

took your suggestion and checked out the forum posting on Flyertalk

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475067&highlight=causeway

The hotel opened Nov 6 and all the reviews were quite positive.

It's all very well to stay at a nice hotel will all the trimmings but when budget is a consideration then this new hotel might fulfill all the requirements without sacrificing essential services and busting the wallet. The location looks extremely attractive.


Steve
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,222
To avoid starting a new thread on Hong Kong Hotels has anyone stayed in a hotel in Hong Kong for ~AUD100/night that they could recommend. There are plenty advertised but not too sure of the quality although I am sure they are better than some of the ones I have stayed in Thailand.

Where is it best to stay Kowloon or Hong Kong Island? I hear Nathan Road is quite central to most things you would want to do.

I will probably only be there for around 5 nights and I am thinking of doing a 1 day tour of the mainland China river delta, 1 day tour of Macau, 1 day tour of Hong Kong's outer islands plus some local tours in Hong Kong.

AUD150/night is a little too much considering most time would be spent outside of the hotel.
 

straitman

Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
16,845
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
To avoid starting a new thread on Hong Kong Hotels has anyone stayed in a hotel in Hong Kong for ~AUD100/night that they could recommend. There are plenty advertised but not too sure of the quality although I am sure they are better than some of the ones I have stayed in Thailand.

Where is it best to stay Kowloon or Hong Kong Island? I hear Nathan Road is quite central to most things you would want to do.

I will probably only be there for around 5 nights and I am thinking of doing a 1 day tour of the mainland China river delta, 1 day tour of Macau, 1 day tour of Hong Kong's outer islands plus some local tours in Hong Kong.

AUD150/night is a little too much considering most time would be spent outside of the hotel.
John,

I stayed at Rosedale on the Park in July. Approx 5 years old and quite nice. Rooms are quite small, however certainly adequate for just sleeping. It is situated in Causeway Bay and is accessable from either Causeway Bay MTR or Tin Hau MTR stations. (Approx 400M walk from either)

Their advertised rates are more than you mention however I know of several people who have stayed and on each occassion cost was $HK600 per night.

Try www.discoveryhongkong.com for some good info. I'm looking for some other links and will post them if/when I find them.

Good luck and if you find something else special please let us all know. :D

Another clue is if you go to Macau last then catch the Ferry direct to the airport you get a refund of your HK departure tax (approx $HK140) as you have actually departed from Macau.
 

auriga

Active Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2005
Messages
813
if you want to stay on the kowloon side, the prudential hotel, right on top of jordan MTR, is quite pleasant.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,559
Flights
My Map
You can oftern get the Novotel Century Harbourview for about HKD550 on an Accor "Hot Deal". It's in the western districts; a 20 minute walk or 10 minute tram ride from Central.

Not 5 star flash but up to the high Accor Cleanliness and comfort standards.
 

straitman

Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
16,845
Flights
My Map
serfty said:
You can oftern get the Novotel Century Harbourview for about HKD550 on an Accor "Hot Deal". It's in the western districts; a 20 minute walk or 10 minute tram ride from Central.

Not 5 star flash but up to the high Accor Cleanliness and comfort standards.
My only issue with this Hotel is its location is not as user friendly to the MTR etc as many of the others. That said the HK bus and tram public transport is brilliant IF you are able to navigate your way through it. 8) 8)
 

Pieces

Newbie
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Messages
6
JohnK


We stayed at the Stanford Hillview Hotel in Kowloon just before Christmas '05 and found the location and value recommendable.

Ignore the rack rate $HK1480 and shop around for a discount such as the one my STA travel agent (Hawthorn) got - $AU295 for 3 nights with free 6pm check out - about $HK1665 total for entire stay.

The Superior Double room we were given was spacious and tastefully decorated. The bathroom was good unless you can't deal with peach coloured bath tubs - I'd say it was refurbed in the 90s.

It's website is: http://www.stanfordhillview.com/

My HK tip if you are coming from the airport - buy $HK150 Oyster card, take bus 21A ($HK33) which goes along Nathan Rd - get off at stop Kimberley Road - more direct and three times cheaper than Airport Express train.

Trip Advisor raves about the Stanford Hillview's location being so close to Tsimshatsui MTR, Nathan Rd and the Hong Kong ferry.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294217-d305934-Reviews-Stanford_Hillview_Hotel-Hong_Kong.html
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,222
straitman said:
John,

I stayed at Rosedale on the Park in July. Approx 5 years old and quite nice. Rooms are quite small, however certainly adequate for just sleeping. It is situated in Causeway Bay and is accessable from either Causeway Bay MTR or Tin Hau MTR stations. (Approx 400M walk from either)

Their advertised rates are more than you mention however I know of several people who have stayed and on each occassion cost was $HK600 per night.
Thanks Bill, I will look out for this one.

straitman said:
Try www.discoveryhongkong.com for some good info. I'm looking for some other links and will post them if/when I find them.
When I googled this is the first site I found and did all my research from here. Highly recommended.

straitman said:
Good luck and if you find something else special please let us all know. :D
I did about 6 hours research last night. I am still trying to come to grips with Hong Kong but if I find something useful I will definately inform.

What I did find though is very good business flex (D class) airfares out of BKK on Finnair. BKK-SIN-BKK is ~AUD400 for 120 SC's at AUD3.3/SC, arrive in SIN ~18:15 and aircraft returns to BKK ~23:10 on it's way to HEL. BKK-HKG-BKK is ~AUD440 for 120SC's at ~AUD3.6/SC, arrive in HKG ~18:15 and aircraft returns to BKK ~23:50 on it's way to HEL. The $/SC is about as good as you will find anywhere.

straitman said:
Another clue is if you go to Macau last then catch the Ferry direct to the airport you get a refund of your HK departure tax (approx $HK140) as you have actually departed from Macau.
Thanks for the tip.

straitman said:
I am a member of precision rewards and when I looked last night did not see anything I liked. I will look again, maybe I missed something.

Again thanks for your response Bill.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,222
Pieces said:
We stayed at the Stanford Hillview Hotel in Kowloon just before Christmas '05 and found the location and value recommendable.

Ignore the rack rate $HK1480 and shop around for a discount such as the one my STA travel agent (Hawthorn) got - $AU295 for 3 nights with free 6pm check out - about $HK1665 total for entire stay.
Looks like a good hotel, good location.

From the hotel's special offers the best price is HK$750(A$130)/night for a standard room not including breakfast.

From other website's the best price I could get in April for standard room is A$170/night. :shock: :(

I will keep trying to see if a better deal appears. :)
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,222
What is it with Hong Kong hotels around Easter time? The price doubles or triples with some hotels. :shock: It's not like it is a religious pilgrimage.

5%, 10% I can understand but 100%, 150%, 200% is highway robbery.
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,738
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
What is it with Hong Kong hotels around Easter time? The price doubles or triples with some hotels. :shock: It's not like it is a religious pilgrimage.

5%, 10% I can understand but 100%, 150%, 200% is highway robbery.
I think its called supply and demand. Lot of people travel at Easter.
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,222
oz_mark said:
JohnK said:
What is it with Hong Kong hotels around Easter time? The price doubles or triples with some hotels. :shock: It's not like it is a religious pilgrimage.

5%, 10% I can understand but 100%, 150%, 200% is highway robbery.
I think its called supply and demand. Lot of people travel at Easter.
I know supply and demand but those prices are ridiculous.

Again I can understand 5-10% even 15-20% surcharge. Looks like I may be stuck in Thailand for 2 weeks instead of side trip to Hong Kong. Oh well, I tried. :(
 

oz_mark

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Messages
17,738
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
Again I can understand 5-10% even 15-20% surcharge. Looks like I may be stuck in Thailand for 2 weeks instead of side trip to Hong Kong. Oh well, I tried. :(
They may just be quoting rack rate, as there is no need to discount. Selling rooms at a 50% discount to rack rate is by no means unusual in the hotel industry, and at times other than busy periods are usually easy to come across.

DO you have an example of a hotel that is pricing you out of the market?
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,222
Yes I understand oz-mark. Thailand rates for Easter are less than rates for Christmas period. I cannot understand why Hong Kong would be any different. With western businesses closed over this period I would have thought that any sane expat or even contractor working in Hong Kong would be getting out during Easter which would leave some properties with vacancies.

Stamford Hillview normally around A$85-95 the best quote is over A$170 for this period.

Ramada Kowloon is normally around A$80 the best quote is over A$190 for this period.

These are just the ones that looked interesting to me initially. I will now have to compare others. I am sure I can find some el cheapo hotel as I don't plan to be spending too much time in the room.
 

arun

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2002
Messages
311
I have stayed at Tsim Tsa Tsuey (the tip of Kowloon close to Ferries). Easy togo to any lace - Nathan Rd, Monkk market, etc. I preferrd this to HK Island. Even if you want to o to the Islands, erry costs something lke 5HK dollars.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
81,990
Messages
1,895,966
Members
49,829
Latest member
tonyliew
Top