I have a one night reservation at Hilton Helsinki in mid July, I emailed the hotel a month ago saying that I am unable to stay since all flights on the trip have been cancelled due to the travel restrictions. As it is an Advance Purchase rate (non refundable) I asked for a free night certificate instead of a refund. I thought that was a reasonable request as the CV statement says " If you are a Hilton Honors member and cancel an Advanced Purchase rate, you may be eligible for a free night certificate for each cancelled night. "The Coronavirus Statement from Hilton in relation to Travel Flexibility was updated on 25 March 2020. It says that any reservation for travel up to the end of June 2020 can be changed or cancelled at no charge. Anyone have any experience changing or cancelling a reservation after 1 July 2020?
I have 2 bookings early July - while unlikely I am still hoping I can go - if I cannot as I am expecting - I will be hoping to get free night certificates as I had some very good rates but a refund would also be okI have a one night reservation at Hilton Helsinki in mid July, I emailed the hotel a month ago saying that I am unable to stay since all flights on the trip have been cancelled due to the travel restrictions. As it is an Advance Purchase rate (non refundable) I asked for a free night certificate instead of a refund. I thought that was a reasonable request as the CV statement says " If you are a Hilton Honors member and cancel an Advanced Purchase rate, you may be eligible for a free night certificate for each cancelled night. "
This is the response:
"Thank you for contacting us regarding your reservation with us in July and thank you for your loyalty as a Hilton Honors Gold member. We understand that the circumstances are affecting all travel plans for now.
We have cancellation waivers in place as follows: Existing Reservations. All reservations – even those described as non-cancellable (“Advanced Purchase”) – that are scheduled for arrival before June 30, 2020 can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival.
This means that at the moment we are not able to cancel your reservation without any cancellation fee. As the situation evolves these cancellation waivers might be extended if needed when traveling is not safe. I would advise you to contact us again in June to find out if the cancellation policy would have changed. If you have any further questions we are happy to assist you."
I've contacted a couple of hotels where my non-refundable stays have been outside the policy dates and they've happily refunded without question, and in one case on a domestic reservation allowed date change when the booking conditions didn't allow it. I'm going to keep checking over the next couple of weeks for an extension on the date, or if they only allowed credits instead of refunds I would be happy with that.
I hope you are successful and I will try again closer to the end of the month. This is the last accommodation booking I have outstanding, all others have refunded even if it wasn't their policy to do so. Hopefully Hilton change their policy soon and I think offering certificates is a really good alternative.I have 2 bookings early July - while unlikely I am still hoping I can go - if I cannot as I am expecting - I will be hoping to get free night certificates as I had some very good rates but a refund would also be ok
Got the same email too. A good decision by Hilton.Hilton have extended the cancellation / refund offer until the end of August
As stay-at-home orders lift and travel resumes, our Team Members are excited to welcome you back to our hotels. At the same time, we understand that your plans may continue to change, so we are extending our flexible change and cancellation policy on reservations made before March 12.These reservations can now be modified until August 31, 2020, free of charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival day.
We have also extended our change and cancellation policy for new reservations. Any reservation booked on and between March 12 and August 31, 2020, even with arrivals for dates beyond August 31, can be modified free of charge up to 24 hours before the scheduled arrival day.
To modify your reservation, simply call us at 1-800-HILTONS or submit your request via our web form. We’ll be happy to make any requested changes to your stay. Please visit Hilton.com for full details.
As always, we thank you for choosing Hilton and we look forward to welcoming you to one of our hotels soon.
I got the email below from Hilton ADL, I called and asked for free night certs but they said no and my booking would be credited early July - my booking was cheap and I would much rather get free night certsWhen cancelling my bookings for July, I was offered this:
"In place of a refund, you can elect to receive a free night certificate for each cancelled night redeemable through August 31, 2021 at our over 6,000+ properties around the world."
I see that some posters above have been hoping for this (congratulations!!), but I booked a cheapie and am now thinking that it might be better than a refund if I can use the free night at a better hotel. I don't know anything about these certificates. Are there any 'catches'? I expect that trying to use it for NYE in SYD might be a big ask, but was thinking more like at a Conrad somewhere. Assuming I can go somewhere by August 31, 2021.
On the website in my booking(s) I have the option of a contact support page to type in info / questions or the Adelaide Hilton phone number to call. Did you use the Contact Support or did you have some other option?