Help Planning Itinerary (please) | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Help Planning Itinerary (please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CdaWorld

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2004
Messages
40
Would like some advice and suggestions on this routing and the best way to book it. It's not that complicated but hoping to make it as pleasant as possible.

12/5 (departure date flexible) SYD-BKK
17/5 BKK-SIN
22/5 SIN-TPE
27/5 TPE-SYD

Is there some kind of OneWorld fare that will be useful for this? Or are separate sectors the best? Will have to be booked in Y but I will try for point upgrades on all flights so like to travel on QF as much as I can. I'm platinum and have plenty of points to burn...
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,372
I think I know a way you can get the desired result relatively cheap by using FF points, except for 1 short sector where you need to purchase ticket. It is not guaranteed to work but worth a try.

If you are interested let me know and I can send you my idea via PM. I don't think it is necessary to post the details on this site.
 

CdaWorld

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2004
Messages
40
Thanks JohnK for your response!

Now I have another question: I mentioned that I'm platinum now. I'm toying with the idea of doing what has been often discussed and crediting the points from this trip to AA and gaining status there. I mean I don't need to throw anymore to QF until next year. If I do that, can I still U/G on the QF flights?

The other idea is to start on a new program this year eg. Thai or Virgin and see about building status with them.

These loyalty programs sure do suck us all in though don't they?
 

Mal

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,269
Flights
My Map
You may have to visit a travel agent (maybe bestflights.com.au is an option?), or call an airline (QF/AA) for this one.

It's not complicated, but most online travel sites can't handle this type of itinery in a cost effective manner.

The SYD-BKK // TPE-SYD can be easily booked as a single return ticket. The BKK-SIN-TPE ticket may be able to be purchased seperately, or as an extra to the above ticket.

You could try plugging your intinery into www.webjet.com.au or www.expedia.com. Both should be able to handle your intinery under their advanced search/ multiple stop feature, but ensure if you book it yourself that it is in an upgradeable fare class.

Personally, I think one of your better options is the Cathay Pacific Asia Pass. ( http://www.cathaypacific.com/au/offers/online/0,,41315-111581-136045,00.html?WAcampid=AUS_OFFERS_ASIAPPORT2006&WAemail=HOME ) , but you rule that out by wanting to fly Qantas. I'm not entirely sure if Qantas have a similar "visit asia" type special.


As for routing.

SYD-BKK (QF)
BKK-SIN (QF Code share, non upgradeable, or Finnair)
SIN-TPE (Cathay Pacific via HKG, or another carrier direct)
TPE-SYD (Cathay back to HKG, Qantas back).
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,372
CdaWorld said:
Thanks JohnK for your response!
Craig, no problem only wish my original itinerary was possible.

CdaWorld said:
Now I have another question: I mentioned that I'm platinum now. I'm toying with the idea of doing what has been often discussed and crediting the points from this trip to AA and gaining status there. I mean I don't need to throw anymore to QF until next year. If I do that, can I still U/G on the QF flights?
Simple answer, no. QF flights can only be upgraded on QF points. Not sure what status you would end up with AA if you purchased these flights but I do not think that it would be better then QF platinum. I am loyal Australian so if AA was the last ffp on earth I would consider travel by train or ship. Your best bet is to burn QF points on CX flights for this trip.

CdaWorld said:
The other idea is to start on a new program this year eg. Thai or Virgin and see about building status with them.
This would be nice to have but entirely up to you if you want to follow it up.

CdaWorld said:
These loyalty programs sure do suck us all in though don't they?
That is half the fun.
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,372
Mal said:
As for routing.

SYD-BKK (QF)
BKK-SIN (QF Code share, non upgradeable, or Finnair)
SIN-TPE (Cathay Pacific via HKG, or another carrier direct)
TPE-SYD (Cathay back to HKG, Qantas back).
Not sure whether you can get QF codeshare on BKK-SIN sector. With Cathay you would need to go BKK-HKG-SIN and with Finnair then QF3931/QF3932 can only be booked when preceded or followed by QF flight.
 

Mal

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,269
Flights
My Map
CdaWorld said:
Now I have another question: I mentioned that I'm platinum now. I'm toying with the idea of doing what has been often discussed and crediting the points from this trip to AA and gaining status there. I mean I don't need to throw anymore to QF until next year. If I do that, can I still U/G on the QF flights?
I believe upgrading is possible. Simply keep your QF FF number in your booking until you reach the lounge/checkin. Get the QF FF number removed, then get your AA number added back in. If you get an upgrade it will be processed under your Qantas FF number.

Lots of ability for things to go wrong... but if it gets credited to Qantas instead it isn't a big loss.
 

Mal

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,269
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
Not sure whether you can get QF codeshare on BKK-SIN sector. With Cathay you would need to go BKK-HKG-SIN and with Finnair then QF3931/QF3932 can only be booked when preceded or followed by QF flight.

Code share should be possible, but only if you fly Qantas (and maybe BA etc) into BKK, or from SIN. Even though the OP flies into SIN on the 12th, as long as it is the same ticket they should be able to book the QF codeshare.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
CdaWorld said:
Now I have another question: I mentioned that I'm platinum now. I'm toying with the idea of doing what has been often discussed and crediting the points from this trip to AA and gaining status there. I mean I don't need to throw anymore to QF until next year. If I do that, can I still U/G on the QF flights?
Take a Candy Thief challenge starting after June 15th and it will last you through to Feb 08.

Even though you may be crediting to AA ( a v wise move imo ) there is nothing to stop you using QF points to upgrade ( the only drawback is the depression from seeing how it often costs more to upgrade using QF points than it does to get a free business class ticket using AA points ). The priority for waitlisting international flights will be based on the status of the account being used to pay for the upgrade ( in your case Platinum/Emerald ) .

Personally, I would also look at migrating to AA scheme as a primary scheme due to its advantages

Dave
 
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
349
G'Day CdaWorld,

Note that recently Eva Air suspended it's SYD-TPE-SYD services. As a result QF had to also suspend their codeshare agreement. Currently, if I'm not mistaken, China Airlines is your only *non-stop* option Taipei to Sydney.

Thankfully, EVA Air continue to fly to Brisbane [thrice weekly] and QF now have a codesharing agreement BNE-TPE-BNE. Depending on your schedule, this could be a good option.. fly TPE-BNE then connect to domestic/QF1-399 flight to BNE??

Cheers
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
JohnK said:
I am loyal Australian so if AA was the last ffp on earth I would consider travel by plane or ship.Your best bet is to burn QF points on CX flights for this trip.
Being a loyal australian does not necessitate stupidity. Airline travel is just a means of getting from A to B and loyalty programmes are there by airlines to try and encourage business in their carrier. How is crediting points to a scheme that has the best return based on the same travel undertaken being disloyal?

What did you do before loyalty schemes were in place?

Dave
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,372
Mal said:
JohnK said:
Not sure whether you can get QF codeshare on BKK-SIN sector. With Cathay you would need to go BKK-HKG-SIN and with Finnair then QF3931/QF3932 can only be booked when preceded or followed by QF flight.

Code share should be possible, but only if you fly Qantas (and maybe BA etc) into BKK, or from SIN. Even though the OP flies into SIN on the 12th, as long as it is the same ticket they should be able to book the QF codeshare.
I suppose the Qf codeshare is possible as he flies SYD-BKK on 12th and then BKK-SIN on the 17th. Again if you saw my suggested itinerary I tried to avoid any paid flights except for solitary flight BKK-SIN in order to burn points in economy as OP mentioned he had a whole lot of points to burn.
 

CdaWorld

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2004
Messages
40
updated itinerary

I've changed my plans slightly and am now going to go back to Bangkok after Taipei.

So I'm gonna book a SYD-BKK return and hope to upgrade with points each way.

SYD-SIN I will do codeshare AY with points in J if possible.

SIN-TPE and TPE-BKK I'll go Eva. I have a friend who might help on the u/g thing :wink:
 

Alan in CBR

Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2004
Messages
308
JohnK said:
I am loyal Australian so if AA was the last ffp on earth I would consider travel by train or ship.
As someone who is apparently not a loyal Australian, I'm trying to parse this sentence.

So if QF took a business decision to shut down their FF program, then rather than fly QF and credit AAdvantage you would instead travel by train or ship? I'm not sure Qantas would think that was a good idea.

Personally I think I'm helping Qantas - I fly with them and so they get my cash, but I credit the points to AAdvantage so AA gets the FF liability.


JohnK said:
Your best bet is to burn QF points on CX flights for this trip.
What's a loyal Australian doing recommending flights on CX? Shouldn't he be using QF where possible and train or ship for the rest?

Maybe I'll ponder this loyalty thing again when I'm sitting in the First Class lounge in Sydney, which of course I wouldn't be able to do had I continued using the QF FF scheme. Oh, and AA will be paying QF to let me do so, so I'm generating more revenue for QF. I hope QF appreciates my un-Australian disloyalty.
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,372
Alan in CBR said:
JohnK said:
I am loyal Australian so if AA was the last ffp on earth I would consider travel by train or ship.
As someone who is apparently not a loyal Australian, I'm trying to parse this sentence.
Nothing to do with loyalty. It means I want nothing to do with AA or their AAdisadvantage program.

Alan in CBR said:
So if QF took a business decision to shut down their FF program, then rather than fly QF and credit AAdvantage you would instead travel by train or ship? I'm not sure Qantas would think that was a good idea.
If QF shut down their FF program then I don't think they would be a part of Oneworld anymore so you would not be able to credit the QF flights to AAdisadvantage.

If QF shut down their FF program I would join the FF program of some Asian carrier like Singapore or Thai.

Alan in CBR said:
JohnK said:
Your best bet is to burn QF points on CX flights for this trip.
What's a loyal Australian doing recommending flights on CX? Shouldn't he be using QF where possible and train or ship for the rest?
I don't know. You win! Give the man a prize from the top shelf.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
JohnK said:
Nothing to do with loyalty. It means I want nothing to do with AA or their AAdisadvantage program.
Then why make such comment like you did about being a "loyal Australian"?

btw, theres nothing Disadvantageous about the AA scheme; pre 2001, the QF scheme was a great scheme with decent awards and was quite a match for AA and in quite a number of ways, it was better ; now the QF scheme has become a joke, with awards (with a few exceptions) having become so expensive that it's a joke, just not a funny one

Dave
 

JohnK

Veteran Member
AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,372
Dave Noble said:
JohnK said:
Nothing to do with loyalty. It means I want nothing to do with AA or their AAdisadvantage program.
Then why make such comment like you did about being a "loyal Australian"?
Good question! I don't know the answer.

Can I phone a friend? Am I allowed a mulligan?
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
Dave Noble said:
btw, theres nothing Disadvantageous about the AA scheme
Except the lack of access to lounges for elites/business/first pax on solely north american itineraries. For most on AFF that is of no concern.
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,813
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
Dave Noble said:
btw, theres nothing Disadvantageous about the AA scheme
Except the lack of access to lounges for elites/business/first pax on solely north american itineraries. For most on AFF that is of no concern.
That is where QF LT Gold comes in handy 8) . And very few loyal AA members are forced to sit at the back of the bus on AA domestic flights, so the availability of upgrade options (comp, miles, EVIP etc) may outweigh the lounge access issue for some people.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you're new to the world of frequent flyer points - or moving to a new country - it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the consider ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and wh ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episod ...

Community Statistics

Threads
82,904
Messages
1,922,454
Members
50,565
Latest member
Saamyrae
Top